Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Question for LEOS both current and retired

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    661

    Post imported post

    I've recently applied to become an Arizona Ranger. For those who are not familiar with the group, they are an unpaid state police force in Arizona whose primary function is more PR and keeping the traditions of the original Arizona Rangers alive than it is law enforcement. They do, however assist with Law Enforcement as well (some communities more than others).

    Enough about that- all prospective Rangers are required to purchase their own gear. I've chosen to go with a Safariland SLS holster (I have the paddle holster andSafarilandsells the conversion kits to make it into a dutyholster for $25- a good deal IMO)but haven't been able to determine the pros and cons of the 6280 mid ride versus the 1.5 inch drop of the 6285.

    I was hoping some of you fine folks on here could tell me your preference and why. Not specifically on Safariland per se, rather on why one would go for a drop holster versus a mid ride holster. Primarily I'm looking for opinions from LEOs but anyone with any information please pass it along. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bear Creek, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    27

    Post imported post

    I have a Safariland holster, cant remember the model number, but it has there rotating hood design, etc. Great holster. Cant say enough good things about it. I have a paddle platform as well as belt slide and i think a duty platform was included as well. The retention is amazing, great draw, and the holder stands up to anything you can throw at it. Its tough to CC(if you choose), as the holster is a bit on the bulky side. I also know alot of LEO's that have it and love it. Again, great holster. Mines for a G17. I like it enough that i would most deff. purchase one for my M&P .45 as well.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bend, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    107

    Post imported post

    I am not a LEO but what I have found is that when the holster rides too low it gets difficult to deal with in cars. For me it is too low when I sit down and the barrel is extending below my rear into the seat.

    I do prefer low ride holsters for drawing though as I don't have to get my elbow so high in the air to present the weapon.

    There is always the drop leg option and you could probably avoid the tacticool argument since you would be in effect a LEO.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PHX AZ, ,
    Posts
    230

    Post imported post

    DAWG: I am a 30+ year retired FLEO. I can only offer my personal opinion. Since most of the time I carried cc, I got used to my gun being "High". I always felt it was "too high"when wearing a pancake type holster, or an IWB when it was one that, in the day of the revolver duty gun, placed the cylinder above the belt line. With the transition to Semi's, IWB became more comfortable to me, felt lower.

    I have "played" with a Cowboy rig, and when I was in raid gear, on the job, I liked the very low holster. It cut my draw time a lot. Unfortunately there is no way to conceal a Cowboy type rig today, because they're too low.

    I am one of the few, for what ever reason, grew to prefer a custom Miami Classic type shoulder rig, with dual carry. Both my duty gun and my "backup" were 1911's (came with rank) I wore mags(4) on my belt SOB (good or bad in the opinion of many). If I didn't have a need for CC, I wore the same rig OC. It did draw some good natured ribbing by my buds, but we all understood that each of us went with what ever worked best for them. As a Senior, I often looked the other way, when I saw an Agent carrying a non 'approved' handguns. Example: a S&W .45ACP may be on the approved list, but an agent carrying a Para-Ord .45ACP didn't draw a second glance from me. Whatever works, works!

    ANKLE CARRY: WITH ME AS YOUR SENIOR, ONLY IF IT WAS A BACKUP TO A BACKUP. You walk funny period. Try running with it.



  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bear Creek, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    27

    Post imported post

    No NAU wrote:
    I am not a LEO but what I have found is that when the holster rides too low it gets difficult to deal with in cars. For me it is too low when I sit down and the barrel is extending below my rear into the seat.



    With the paddle option it rides alot higher. I do know what your saying, it is a very low ride, but with the paddle platform on it, its a heck of alot higher.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    661

    Post imported post

    Mike M. wrote:
    With the paddle option it rides alot higher. I do know what your saying, it is a very low ride, but with the paddle platform on it, its a heck of alot higher.
    I currently have it on the paddle which I reallylike, butthis needs to be on a duty belt and the Universal Belt Loop (UBL) accomplishes this. I did get to try the "mid ride" this weekend (they didn't have any of the drop rigs available) and it seemed quite a bit lower. It is much more comfortable that wasy and can I say, this is the most comfortable OC holster I've owned even in paddle configuration?

    So far as my needs for a duty rig, I'm still undecided as I haven't been able to try the low rise.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bear Creek, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    27

    Post imported post

    Dahwg wrote:
    Mike M. wrote:
    With the paddle option it rides alot higher. I do know what your saying, it is a very low ride, but with the paddle platform on it, its a heck of alot higher.
    I currently have it on the paddle which I reallylike, butthis needs to be on a duty belt and the Universal Belt Loop (UBL) accomplishes this. I did get to try the "mid ride" this weekend (they didn't have any of the drop rigs available) and it seemed quite a bit lower. It is much more comfortable that wasy and can I say, this is the most comfortable OC holster I've owned even in paddle configuration?

    So far as my needs for a duty rig, I'm still undecided as I haven't been able to try the low rise.
    Another holster to consider is the Blackhawk SERPA duty Holster, Level II or Level III. The only thing is, is as with the Safariland, it does ride on the low side.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    661

    Post imported post

    Mike M. wrote:
    Dahwg wrote:
    Mike M. wrote:
    With the paddle option it rides alot higher. I do know what your saying, it is a very low ride, but with the paddle platform on it, its a heck of alot higher.
    I currently have it on the paddle which I really like, but this needs to be on a duty belt and the Universal Belt Loop (UBL) accomplishes this. I did get to try the "mid ride" this weekend (they didn't have any of the drop rigs available) and it seemed quite a bit lower. It is much more comfortable that wasy and can I say, this is the most comfortable OC holster I've owned even in paddle configuration?

    So far as my needs for a duty rig, I'm still undecided as I haven't been able to try the low rise.
    Another holster to consider is the Blackhawk SERPA duty Holster, Level II or Level III. The only thing is, is as with the Safariland, it does ride on the low side.
    They don't make the Serpa for my sidearm. I own one that kind of works, but I only use it when I anticipate having to go from OC to CC. Otherwise I am 10 times happier with my Safariland holster.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hodgenville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,261

    Post imported post

    PR? Get a pretty one. Serious use.....only you can tell. I'm a corrections officer.....fancy for jailer. Of course, it's weird that I cannot wear on duty.....!

    But....I love my paddle and they come with a pressure release. Looks good too.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    I would reccomend the Uncle Mike Pro3. Triple retention, smooth draw motion, and jacket slotted.

    It's all I will use.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •