• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for LEOS both current and retired

Dahwg

imported post

I've recently applied to become an Arizona Ranger. For those who are not familiar with the group, they are an unpaid state police force in Arizona whose primary function is more PR and keeping the traditions of the original Arizona Rangers alive than it is law enforcement. They do, however assist with Law Enforcement as well (some communities more than others).

Enough about that- all prospective Rangers are required to purchase their own gear. I've chosen to go with a Safariland SLS holster (I have the paddle holster andSafarilandsells the conversion kits to make it into a dutyholster for $25- a good deal IMO)but haven't been able to determine the pros and cons of the 6280 mid ride versus the 1.5 inch drop of the 6285.

I was hoping some of you fine folks on here could tell me your preference and why. Not specifically on Safariland per se, rather on why one would go for a drop holster versus a mid ride holster. Primarily I'm looking for opinions from LEOs but anyone with any information please pass it along. Thanks.

Mike M.

imported post

I have a Safariland holster, cant remember the model number, but it has there rotating hood design, etc. Great holster. Cant say enough good things about it. I have a paddle platform as well as belt slide and i think a duty platform was included as well. The retention is amazing, great draw, and the holder stands up to anything you can throw at it. Its tough to CC(if you choose), as the holster is a bit on the bulky side. I also know alot of LEO's that have it and love it. Again, great holster. Mines for a G17. I like it enough that i would most deff. purchase one for my M&P .45 as well.

No NAU

imported post

I am not a LEO but what I have found is that when the holster rides too low it gets difficult to deal with in cars. For me it is too low when I sit down and the barrel is extending below my rear into the seat.

I do prefer low ride holsters for drawing though as I don't have to get my elbow so high in the air to present the weapon.

There is always the drop leg option and you could probably avoid the tacticool argument since you would be in effect a LEO.

Alec411

imported post

DAWG: I am a 30+ year retired FLEO. I can only offer my personal opinion. Since most of the time I carried cc, I got used to my gun being "High". I always felt it was "too high"when wearing a pancake type holster, or an IWB when it was one that, in the day of the revolver duty gun, placed the cylinder above the belt line. With the transition to Semi's, IWB became more comfortable to me, felt lower.

I have "played" with a Cowboy rig, and when I was in raid gear, on the job, I liked the very low holster. It cut my draw time a lot. Unfortunately there is no way to conceal a Cowboy type rig today, because they're too low.

I am one of the few, for what ever reason, grew to prefer a custom Miami Classic type shoulder rig, with dual carry. Both my duty gun and my "backup" were 1911's (came with rank) I wore mags(4) on my belt SOB (good or bad in the opinion of many). If I didn't have a need for CC, I wore the same rig OC. It did draw some good natured ribbing by my buds, but we all understood that each of us went with what ever worked best for them. As a Senior, I often looked the other way, when I saw an Agent carrying a non 'approved' handguns. Example: a S&W .45ACP may be on the approved list, but an agent carrying a Para-Ord .45ACP didn't draw a second glance from me. Whatever works, works!

ANKLE CARRY: WITH ME AS YOUR SENIOR, ONLY IF IT WAS A BACKUP TO A BACKUP. You walk funny period. Try running with it.

Mike M.

imported post

No NAU wrote:
I am not a LEO but what I have found is that when the holster rides too low it gets difficult to deal with in cars. For me it is too low when I sit down and the barrel is extending below my rear into the seat.

With the paddle option it rides alot higher. I do know what your saying, it is a very low ride, but with the paddle platform on it, its a heck of alot higher.

Dahwg

imported post

Mike M. wrote:
With the paddle option it rides alot higher. I do know what your saying, it is a very low ride, but with the paddle platform on it, its a heck of alot higher.

I currently have it on the paddle which I reallylike, butthis needs to be on a duty belt and the Universal Belt Loop (UBL) accomplishes this. I did get to try the "mid ride" this weekend (they didn't have any of the drop rigs available) and it seemed quite a bit lower. It is much more comfortable that wasy and can I say, this is the most comfortable OC holster I've owned even in paddle configuration?

So far as my needs for a duty rig, I'm still undecided as I haven't been able to try the low rise.

Mike M.

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
Mike M. wrote:

I currently have it on the paddle which I reallylike, butthis needs to be on a duty belt and the Universal Belt Loop (UBL) accomplishes this. I did get to try the "mid ride" this weekend (they didn't have any of the drop rigs available) and it seemed quite a bit lower. It is much more comfortable that wasy and can I say, this is the most comfortable OC holster I've owned even in paddle configuration?

So far as my needs for a duty rig, I'm still undecided as I haven't been able to try the low rise.
Another holster to consider is the Blackhawk SERPA duty Holster, Level II or Level III. The only thing is, is as with the Safariland, it does ride on the low side.

Dahwg

imported post

Mike M. wrote:
Dahwg wrote:
Mike M. wrote:

I currently have it on the paddle which I really like, but this needs to be on a duty belt and the Universal Belt Loop (UBL) accomplishes this. I did get to try the "mid ride" this weekend (they didn't have any of the drop rigs available) and it seemed quite a bit lower. It is much more comfortable that wasy and can I say, this is the most comfortable OC holster I've owned even in paddle configuration?

Another holster to consider is the Blackhawk SERPA duty Holster, Level II or Level III. The only thing is, is as with the Safariland, it does ride on the low side.
They don't make the Serpa for my sidearm. I own one that kind of works, but I only use it when I anticipate having to go from OC to CC. Otherwise I am 10 times happier with my Safariland holster.

TheMrMitch

imported post

PR? Get a pretty one. Serious use.....only you can tell. I'm a corrections officer.....fancy for jailer. Of course, it's weird that I cannot wear on duty.....!:lol:

But....I love my paddle and they come with a pressure release. Looks good too.:dude: