• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beretta

2a4all

imported post

I'm considering the Beretta PX4 Storm (Full Size) in 40 cal.

It appears to be lefty-friendly, and I like the (ambi) de-cocker feature. The Mag release can be switched also.

Does anyone have any experience with this gun?

Dustin

imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:

I know a friend I see at the range has one. He likes it.

Haven't seen too much about it good or bad.

Personally,

It's a sharp looking weapon. I Do not like the rotating barrel. I've read one article from Guns & Ammo and the shooter said he didn't appreciate the recoil at all.

Guns are so trivial though. It's more about what you want. Sounds to me like you've got your mind made up.

It will kill whoever you shoot with it right, so what's the question ?

Now if you were to ask for a comparison between it and another, that would be more fun ;)

MetalChris

imported post

Dustin wrote:
da7f2q8 wrote:

Personally,

It's a sharp looking weapon. I Do not like the rotating barrel. I've read one article from Guns & Ammo and the shooter said he didn't appreciate the recoil at all.

Guns are so trivial though. It's more about what you want. Sounds to me like you've got your mind made up.

It willstop whoever you shoot with it right, so what's the question ?

Now if you were to ask for a comparison between it and another, that would be more fun ;)
Fixed. :)

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Dustin wrote:
da7f2q8 wrote:

Personally,

It will kill whoever you shoot with it right, so what's the question ?

I think the rotating barrel is the best feature. It's a simpler design than the browning tilt, which I would think would add to reliability, and since barrel does not tilt it should lead to more consistent accuracy. I hear it helps divert recoil energy from backwards into rotational which should reduce felt recoil. The one thing about the rotating barrels though is that they do have to be well greased. This is all second hand information. I never shot a PX4 myself.

Dustin

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Dustin wrote:
da7f2q8 wrote:

Personally,

It willstop whoever you shoot with it right, so what's the question ?

Fixed. :)
Don't mix my views with yours ;)

If I draw, It's b/c mine or my familes life is in danger. I don't plan on slowing down that threat, I plan on completely removing that threat from existence.

Dustin

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
I think the rotating barrel is the best feature. It's a simpler design than the browning tilt, which I would think would add to reliability, and since barrel does not tilt it should lead to more consistent accuracy. I hear it helps divert recoil energy from backwards into rotational which should reduce felt recoil. The one thing about the rotating barrels though is that they do have to be well greased. This is all second hand information. I never shot a PX4 myself.

If rotating barrels were that good of an idea, the majority of all gun makerswould be doing it too. But they're not.

Also like I said, the guy from Guns and Ammo didn't appreciate the recoil, so evidently your theory might be flawed.

I'll fire my buddy's next wednesday and compare it for ya. :)

I sure do love the way that gun looks though.

I'd defintely purchase it if Ididn't have other guns on my list first.

matt605

imported post

The choice of handgun is highly personal. I own a Beretta because it was one of several brands that my uncle had a dealers' license for when I was a kid, it is an Italian brand, it had a very, very good reliability rating, and it was made nearby in Maryland. Beretta has been making firearms since the mid-1500s, so ownership of the product is affiliation with a long tradition.

The "rotating" barrell of the gunyou describe is something I heard about some time back. I wasn't aware that it was still in production, but there was something Beretta made calleda "spinner" that transferred some of the recoil by spinning the barrell.

Recoil generally limits the speed at which you can hit the same target repeatedly and creates an accuracy challenge. If you're shooting someone with a pistol that pushes your forearm up, then you'll need an extra split-second to re-aim, and your second bullet might not be as accurately aimed as the first. You may also overcompensate when bringing the barrel back down toward the target. So the less recoil per big bullet per ounce of steel of the gun, then the more killing power you can efficiently dispense into a person, presumably an attacker.

A spinner would be a more lethal weapon than a similarly weighted and calibered handgun with equal barrel length.

s1loki

imported post

Don't knock the rotating barrel operation. Beretta just stepped outside the box of conventionalism and revived an older concept.

"In terms of design, the most noteworthy aspect of the Cougar pistol is its rotary barrel locking mechanism, which is definitely outside the mainstream of semiauto pistol mechanics. The only other rotary-barrel pistols I know of (similar in concept but not specific design) include systems marketed around 1900 in the United States by Elbert Searle and by Roth in Austria, the short-lived Colt All-American 2000, the Russian P96/P96S/P96M pistols, the Slovakian K-100 Grand Power pistol and the Beretta PX4 Storm."

The Cougar only failed because of its cost when it was introduced.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Dustin wrote:
If rotating barrels were that good of an idea, the majority of all gun makerswould be doing it too.
That is a really ignorant statement. You could also say "If open carry were such a good idea, the majority of Americans would be doing it, too". Just because a gun manufacturer does something out of the ordinary doesn't mean they're wrong. To think so is just plain silly.

mkl

imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:
I'm considering the Beretta PX4 Storm (Full Size) in 40 cal.

It appears to be lefty-friendly, and I like the (ambi) de-cocker feature.  The Mag release can be switched also.

I have a PX4 in .40. I've had no problems with it. I bought it mostly because I could share magazines with a beretta Storm rifle that I had.
I also own an HK USP in .40, and comparing the two I find them to have pretty comparable recoil, both pretty light. I find both the USP and PX4 to have significantly lower recoil than my .40 glock or .40 p2000sk.
I do like the exchangeable grip options and found them useful, but hard to change.

One minor complaint....If you are in the habit of checking to ensure your chamber is loaded/unloaded there is no indicator, and it takes a lot of slide movement due to the rotating barrel before you can see brass.

Overall I really like it. However it probably would not be might first choice if I was going to have to choose just one .40 fullsize. I still like the USP more, it just fits my hand a bit better and I tend to shoot better with it. If I didn't own the compatible rifle, I probably wouldn't have kept the px4. Nothing wrong with it, and the fact that it isn't very far behind the USP says something since it is a lower priced gun.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

I always OC my Beretta PX4 Storm (No Safety Model) .40 Cal 17 + 1 (Extended Magazine) with Trijicon sights in the Summer months. I CC it in the Winter months. It feels comfortable to me either way. Since the weapon is black and my Galco holster is light brown, it is noticed quite often, but, no one says anything (many looks).

As far as accuracy, I shoot 300 out of 300 on the range for DCJS requals and FLETC requals for work (9mm PX-4 Storm). I have shot my .40 cal on target (5 out of 10 bulls-eyes) fifty (50) feet away. I have also shot on a half target four (4) rounds in 7.03 seconds (3 rounds in a mag and reload another 3 round mag) fifteen (15) feet away.

I love this weapon and the price was right ($498.00). It has adjustable hand grips for small to large hands. The kick or barrel does not affect its accuracyIMO. I am gladI didn't get an XD!!

2nd Amendment.......Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

s1loki

imported post

If it was a popularity contest the Browning design wins hands down. It has a long and storied history behind it.

- The Beretta rotating barrel is to "outside the box" for most to appreciate.
- Its not the normal and accepted way for a semi to function.
- It is the new(relatively) kid(design) on the block.

The Cougar is a fine pistol, just as the PX4 is. Now Beretta has has brought back the Cougar via Stoeger.

Sometimes being different takes time to become accepted. How long did it take for the Glocks to be accepted.

I liken the Beretta rotating barrel mechanism thought process to something else out there. Buell. Shunned by the mainstream and now being copied.

BusMaster007

imported post

Everything you wanted to know about this pistol is on BerettaForum.net.

As for KILL or STOP, it won't be the gun that does that.
It will be YOU.
Presentation and application thereof re the firearm depends upon how the event unfolds.
The projectile has a place in the scenario, but the launcher argument is practically a 'MOOT POINT'.
The final outcome is a direct result of speculating upon how you would react to an unplanned event, and there aren't any guarantees.

The rotating bbl. function is as viable as anything else out there.

I recommend going to the Beretta Forum for specifics.
Search there for some interesting information on this particular firearm.
:)

Dustin

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Dustin wrote:
If rotating barrels were that good of an idea, the majority of all gun makerswould be doing it too.
That is a really ignorant statement. You could also say "If open carry were such a good idea, the majority of Americans would be doing it, too". Just because a gun manufacturer does something out of the ordinary doesn't mean they're wrong. To think so is just plain silly.
Your example is NOT nearly the same. Rotating barrels aren't just out of the ordinary, it's been tried before, 100 years ago.

You also Need to open your freakin eyes and read my post again. I NEVER said it was WRONG, but that it obviously isn't the first choice of Gun makers. (FACT) I also NEVER said anything about it being wrong b/c it was out of the ordinary.

Felid described the rotating barrel as if it were the best thing since slice bread. OBVIOUSLY it's NOT, was my point.

So why don't you go screw around with someone else's post and STOP adding words to mine ! :cuss:

What you did is aperfect example of what FORUM TROLLSdo !!!

I don't take too lightly to someonewho is obviously ignorant, calling me ignorant.I'm ignorant of alot of things, butin this caseit's completely uncalled for and off base for you to saythat to someone you don't even know ! Very Disrespectful and Immature !

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well you're a grumpy guss. I didn't call you ignorant. I very specifically described your statement as ignorant. It is simply incorrect to assume that because the majority is not doing it, it is not a good idea. It is a very easy assumption for peopleto make, however.

Rotating barrels were around 100 years ago? Me thinks open carry was, as well. My comparison still holds.

Dustin

imported post

DreQo wrote:
It is simply incorrect to assume that because the majority is not doing it, it is not a good idea.

I'm well aware of that as well.

However in this case, were not talking about some random person making assumptions.

Were talking about Gun makers. Those who strive for money through new technology.

Yet for rotating barrels, they show no interest. This is obvious b/c being that the Px4 is the ONLY polymer pistol with a rotating barrel, well you can figure out the percentage yourself.

So are Gun makers ignorant, or is it obvious that it's not worth their time ?

I'm sure you kow the answer to tat as well.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Dustin wrote:
DreQo wrote:
It is simply incorrect to assume that because the majority is not doing it, it is not a good idea.

However in this case, were not talking about some random person making assumptions.

Were talking about Gun makers. Those who strive for money through new technology.

Yet for rotating barrels, they show no interest. This is obvious b/c being that the Px4 is the ONLY polymer pistol with a rotating barrel, well you can figure out the percentage yourself.

Being that I am not a gun maker, to answer your question I would have to make an assumption, which is exactly what I suggested not be done.

If rotating barrels were that good of an idea, the majority of all gun makerswould be doing it too. But they're not.

This describes the assumption that if the majority is not doing something, then it is not a good idea. Yet you now say that you're well aware that this assumption is incorrect. This was the ONLY point I was making. If we turn our nose up at every new and/or different technology or idea simply because it is not what the majority does, then we deny ourselves the opportunity to progress.

Dustin

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Dustin wrote:
DreQo wrote:

Being that I am not a gun maker, to answer your question I would have to make an assumption, which is exactly what I suggested not be done.

This describes the assumption that if the majority is not doing something, then it is not a good idea. Yet you now say that you're well aware that this assumption is incorrect. This was the ONLY point I was making. If we turn our nose up at every new and/or different technology or idea simply because it is not what the majority does, then we deny ourselves the opportunity to progress.

I'm making a judgement call, off of the evidence at hand. Not an assumption.

That evidence says that rotating barrels has been thought about and is not a NEW idea. THERE IS A REASON FOR THAT.

This is not a NEW idea.

Eitherway, I'm finished here. I'll give you the last word so you'll sleep better tonight.