• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Factory v.s. the reload

gamestalker

imported post

Hey there Liko81,

Did you read the post about the fellow that had a close call with the ammo that was either under charged or wasn't crimped/ seated properly? This type of problem is indicating just how risky shooting factory can be and especially if you are someone who shoots a lot or more than average. If you've honestly shot thousands of factory and never had a problem your one of the lucky ones. Its not a question of if, but when! I worked in an up scale gun store for about 2 yearsand recall several customers who badly damaged their firearms with factory ammo. One in particular destroyed his brand new A- Bolt 22-250we had just sold him a week or so earlier.It blew the bolt back andbadly bulged the chamber. Of course the ammo manufacturer denied any responsibility as stated on the box of ammo. But his rifle was not repairable and his expensive Leupold was also destroyed. Fortunatly he wasn't badly injured, only a few cuts on his face considering he could have been killed. Please at least be watchful of a problem such as a jam or low recoiling round that would indicate a possible serious issue. And I only say that because you said you shoot a lot which increases the probability of finding one of those rounds that slipped by.

gamestalker

Alec411

imported post

I agree with M1911. In the event your must use your firearm against an adversary, be prepared for some procesecuter blowing that out of proportion. My daughter, an ADA, says she learned in law school to go for the ammo if prosecuting. Her instructors told her "use what the local cops use"! Expect JHP to be referred to as "cop killer" rounds.