• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encouragements To The Newbie

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In posting this topic I hope to encourage the new people here that are apprehensive about OC for the first time. I would like to start off by saying that, I made 219 post with numerous topics before I got a chance to OC. It was not that I was afraid to do it, but I was not in a place that I could OC. Had I been in the US when I found out about OC I would have jumped right in to it. Because this is something that I have always wanted to do before I even heard it was anything called OC. In saying this, I am in no means telling anyone to go outside with a gun on your hip not knowing all the laws or your state, county or city. You should know your state's laws, your local laws and ordinance pertaining to firearms before you OC.

Also You MUST know your rights as an individual. When it come to dealing with your local LEO, you must know what they can, and can not do to you when you OC. Not all LEO are bad, not all are informed, and not all agree with your right to carry a weapon, never the less OC, So you should know when they over step their boundaries to protect yourself.
I know many of you have read on OCDO about people being face down on the street, handcuffed, at gun point, detained, embarrassed in public places, scolded, told to CC by LEO, but the few accounts of these incidents does not come close to the number of LEO encounters that are positive or that are uneventful. I myself thought the first time I OC I would have a negative LEO encounter, but that was not the case at all. I was expecting to have I some excitement with the LEO's when they saw my sidearm. I even went looking for some policemen so they could see me with my sidearm to see what they did, so that I could have some excitement in my day and at the same time educate a LEO for the next guy that would follow in my steps.( I really thought that) Well I guess I was that next guy because the LEOs that I came across did not even care I had a gun on my hip. One did run my plates on my car, but that was all, he did not even approach me about my gun, and I made sure he saw it. I feel he was just doing his job to see if I had any outstanding warrants. But every LEO encounter I had was very pleasant.

You also may have a fear of being kicked out of an establishment by management. I thought I would be also in my first days of Ocing. But NOPE no one said a word. One store managers said "Thanks for coming in to shopping please come again". He said that as he was standing on my strong side. ( Yep He Saw It) All the negative accounts you may find here are like (for a lack of a better phrase) bad news, or complaints that one would give a business, or a product. The bad reports tend to stick out, the gossip on the super stars stays in the headlines and in your mind more than the good reports does, and the bad reports over shadow all the good reports that may come out. (How long will people remember and update others if I told them that Joe Blow bowled a perfect game? There will be a few number of people that would care about it, or even give updates on this. But If I told you Joe Blow Bowled a almost perfect game and then rolled a gutter ball in the last frame, then took off all his clothes and ran down the lane and dived head first in the pins, jumped up and yelled strike dancing like a clown!! You will not ever forget that story, and people will talk about it more so than the story of him bowling a 300 game. My point is that the negative reports stay alive more so than the good reports people have. This is what could generate your fears and mine's, but when I start OCing I found the only thing to fear was… well… nothing. I was not carrying against any laws. The worst could happen to me for the most part would be I am asked to leave a establishment or embarrassed by a LEO. So I figured... If I am man enough to carry a gun, man enough to stand face to face to a BG that has the will and intent to harm myself and my family. If I am man enough to pull the trigger to stop an attack on my family or myself, then I am man enough to be embarrassed by a store manager, in being asked to leave his POB. I am man enough to take the scolding of a LEO, and I am man enough to walk out of my house Ocing.

OCDO and the heart of OCDO which is people like you and me. Ordinary people with jobs, and family, people that believe in the 2nd Amendment, people that believe in responsible firearm carry and gun ownership, Personal Defense, and our rights and freedom as citizens of The United States Of America in a free country, offers tones of support for you, they/we stand behind everyone that OC within the law, and we will fight for you in providing resources, and advice and support in your favor if you ever find yourself in a dilemma. You have the backing to go forward in OC with OCDO. That’s what I felt when I joined this site. We are a group of individual that are united, yet for the most part we are strangers. When I OC for the first time I was not alone. But I had OCDO backing me up, and I thought about this from time to time. I knew there was someone here that could advise me on the course of actions to take if things went bad for me. We are over 8,000 strong and there is strength in numbers.

For some encouragement I have added a few pictures of myself Ocing in public places. I am really sorry I do not have more photos to share, but maybe others will post a few pictures of their OC in public places. I never seen a Ocer in my life until I went to a OC meeting, and If you have not seen a Ocer before today… today is your lucky day. I want to show you that it really is not that bad at all, and that you can function just like any other person you pass on the street, only your you are shown to be armed. I OCed for 2 weeks every day in numerous places, I was seen by people of all races, ages, nationalities, religious beliefs, and political views, and I did not even get the slightest negative comment or evil eye from anyone. Yes at some point I may get a negative comment, but all the negative a person my get is only a fraction compared to the positive to no comment that a Ocer gets in a given day.

I hope my photos, and those that others may post will be an encouragement to you that are fearful to OC. Remember you have us for support like NEXTEL "we got you covered." So once you read up on the laws, and you are confident you know your rights, join us, and have a good ole time. Your action my just reach another wanting Ocer.

This Photo was taken in Tacoma WA at a public park. lots of people there. Old and young folks

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This is as it should be. People need not fear anyone with a gun, unless they are carrying out a criminal act. With more people OCing there should be less criminal activity.

prcE6

imported post

Right on! Nicely done. You might just start a trend here as it might be a good idea if we all start posting pics of ourselves as we OC. That oughtta help some people break the ice and start exercising some rights! I know it sure would have for me when I was starting out.. (don't let the low post count fool ya).

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Hey, I recognize that first pic.......that's the beach off of Five Mile Drive, out at Point Defiance........great beach to walk along.........
Yep thats the spot, there was lots of people there. My wife said a older guy and his wife walked by and he pointed at my pistol, and they justkept walking. I love that place but I had a hard time riding my bike back up that hill:banghead:

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Also I think the way one carries himself goes a long ways in not causing people to shriek in fear when they see you are armed. I CC for a long time and I never carried myself as prideful or over confident when i am armed. I was natural,kind and polite. The same of me could be said when I OC. I did not puff my chest out, or strut as I walk. I smile, and greet people and act as if my pistol is not even there...

I was at a Denny's and waiting to pay in line behind a group of people that was getting 86th from the bar. Well it was about to get ugly one individual started saying to the bar tender, I will Kick your A$$ in the parking lot. The entire time I was standing there and the bartender was looking at them with me behindthem with my side arm. I just stood there, stepped back a few steps and observed. One of the guys walked around the others, looked at me and then at my sidearm. Then they all left. I talked with the Bartender, and a waitress that was there, and paid for my meal and went back to my seat. I did not alter my stance or attitude to show I was armed, I just stood there like I would if I was unarmed. What I am getting at is, I count my pistol asnot on me until I feel there is a good reason to use it in SD. After the confrontation I did not say, "I had your back man, look at what I have," I said nothingabout being armed at all. Justcarry yourself like you would any other day, and people will think you SHOULD have a pistol on you, like it's your job or something.

rodbender

imported post

OH MY!!! Look at that guy with a gun on his belt. Man, does he have some audacity to actually exercise his 2A rights. And right out here in front of all these children. HOW DARE HE!!!

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This Photo is in Tacoma Washington on Ruston Way water front. I was there for a few hours with the family OCing and people acted like my gun was not even there. I have my wife listen to what people say as I pass by them, and she said no one said a word. Once I did hear a guy ask his friend if I was a cop.

The reason why you see me with my family in these pictures is because I was on vacation with my family, and I needed to spend a lot of time with them, so most of my pictures are withmy family.

Also I would like to add that the OC community is like a motorcycle community, we all have something in common and we are all here for each other.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

First off, very well done. I think you're on to something here. For one thing, you look like what many may believe to be an off-duty police officer from your appearance and your rig. Where I live, it get this a lot ("are you a cop/LEO/...?).

The one thing we all experience probably most of the time is a near total absence of staring, gawking, :what:, or fearful avoidance. The overwhelming majority of the populous I run into while OC'ing take it as just a normal thing. This is the message we really wish to spread and foster.

Anyway, nice going. You're afine ambassador for all of us.