• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan-What about rifles?

Krag

imported post

I've seen a lot of talk about carrying handguns for self defense--both open and concealed--but I've never seen and cannot find any laws about carrying a rifle for self defense. I'm talking your plain old 30-30 or something like that--not slinging an AK over your shoulder when going to the grocery store. For example, what if I walk out into the Michigan woods in an area where bears (or drunks or rowdies) are located, can I legally carry a rifle for self defense? Do I need to have a small game license and wear hunter orange? What are the laws about carrying a rifle in Michigan? Thanks in advance for the help!

Michigander

imported post

This would probably be better in Michigan's forum, but I'll tell ya what I think.

The AG opinion on not being brandishing if you have a pistol in a holster isn't law, it's an AG opionion. There are no laws that prohibit carrying a long gun in a reasonable and non threatening manner, at least not that I know of. I am not a lawyer, but to the best of my knowledge, it would be totally legal if you avoid making any motion that would fall under the definition of brandishing. Certainly hunters are not arrested and charged with brandishing, so I know of no reason why you could be charged with that. But certainly cops have arrested and otherwise harrassed a lot of people here regardless of laws.

In a rural area, I think it's a great idea. You might run into all kinds of things that you'd want a long gun for. In an urban area, I think it would be terrible. Concerns are retention, over penetration, deploying the weapon in a building in a fast and maneuverable manner, and public image. The public image thing is especially important in Michigan and the other states where the issue is being fought, because the public tends to be more intimidated by big guns than by sidearms. It's critically important that the public understand and respect us, and that we do the safe and reasonable thing.

Having said that, as I've said before on this issue, if you research long gun carry heavily, and decide you still want to do it, I won't say anything more to discourage you from doing it in what you find to be a safe and legal manner. A right unexercized is a right lost, and if you want to use the right to carry a long gun, that's fine by me. Just please be careful and prudent.

Krag

imported post

Thanks for the comment. I'll make the post under "Michigan" to see if there are more people thinking about rifles. Actually, I'm not thinking of carrying one for self defense since I have a CPL and regulary carry but I've been able to find next to nothing about rifles--just curious mainly.