• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Gun store experience

Gren

imported post

Ok so me and my girlfriend decided that it would be fun to head down to the gun store(Bulls eye shooter supply) and check out the guns and what not.And i thought it would be a good idea to teach her some stuff about guns, that and i had a long list of guns i wanted to get my hands on heh.

So we get there and start wandering around and i found a interesting rifle and i asked what it was and a taller guy with a shaved head talked about it and was ya know generally friendly and nice.I also remember asking that guy if they had any Jericho 941s and he said no, that was a bit of a disappointment.

So eventually i end up at the other end of the counter looking at the Semi-Auto rifles, and i asked the guy behind the counter(shorter, rounder guy) if "That was an AUG" and he said "Actually it's an American made copy" which surprised me a bit.So he hands it to me and i look it over for a second and then i asked "This is the safety right?", it looked like a small cube coming out of the frame and what can i say I'm not familiar with every gun ever made.So he just stares at me for what felt like an eternity and then i think nodded his head.I say think because he kind just kept staring and i handed him back the gun.Anyways it just kinda killed any enthusiasm that i had about the little outing.

Sorry for not giving names i didn't get any, i was kinda like "wow so many beautiful guns in one place" so i wasn't really paying attention.

I'm also kinda wishing i would have asked how much the "AUG" cost.Man that gun felt incredible.

jchen012

imported post

The gun you were looking at was the MSAR STG-556. It is a beauty. I believe it can use standard AR mags while the AUG requires their own mags. Anyhow sorry to hear about your bad experience. I think of myself as pretty knowledgeable about handguns, but rifles is a whole other story. I wouldn't know what a safety would look like on an AUG either.

Gren

imported post

Heh I'm glad I'm not the only one, felt kinda like an idiot after that.Yeah that gun was pretty amazing, thanks for the info on it heh I'm gonna go look it up now.

Johnny Law

imported post

Gren wrote:
I'm also kinda wishing i would have asked how much the "AUG" cost.Man that gun felt incredible.
That was a STG-556 made by Microtech (yes the knife co.). It's a rendition of the aug, but not a replica. It has numerous improvements, but still retains the flavor of the original. Also aug mags need to be modified to fit the stg556, but Microtech has plenty of their mags available and not too spendy either. I had a limited edition stg556 on order (you can choose black, green or sand) as the first500 in each color were the limited editions (1,500 total). My buddy received serial #1 (not by chance)and I was primed to get my own low serial # gun. After waiting for several months, I was finally told that for whatever reason, the limited's were all gone. I soon lost interest, although the standard editions are readily available now for about $1,500 and the price is still slowly dropping. They are an incredibly high quality gun, and they come highly recommended. Who knows, I may buy one yet if the mood strikes me.

gsx1138

imported post

I bought my Romanian G-code AK-47 from those guys. In general I hate gun stores. Almost every one I've been in has some holier than thou asshole behind the counter. I'm still trying to learn about firearms so really appreciate help. I don't need the eye rolls or a salesman who acts like he's irritated to even be there.

I don't know the guys name but some guy with an Irish (I'm thinking) accent helped me at Bullseye in Tacoma. Next to Mary's Pistols, which is awesome, he helped me the most in customer service. He seemed a little new but he took his time and that all that matters to me.

Gren

imported post

Yeah I agree.But oh well its Bulls eyes loss really a couple thousand less dollars for them i guess.As for Mary's pistols, well pretty much every one on here has said it's a great place so i guess I'll head down there next time.

MadHatter66

imported post

Yeah, I am not a fan of most gun stores... I went down the the Sportsmans Warehouse few weeks ago... I am thinking of getting a new handgun, but wanted to check out the weight and grip of a few that I am interested in... The guy there basically treated me like I wasnt any commission, and ignored me... When he did come and help me, he treated me like I was wasting his time... I hate being treated like and "amature" becasue I dont sell guns, and know every gun out there...

Bear 45/70

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
I have had great response from the guys at Federal Way Discount Guns. Also really good cash prices. Anybody have bad experience with them?
I quit using Bullseye well before the previous owner got his butt in a major crack for selling guns illegally. I've heard nothing from anyone that makes me think the new owners treat customers any better. So I haven't been in more years than I can remember, well make it 15 years anyway.

gsx1138

imported post

MadHatter66 wrote:
Yeah, I am not a fan of most gun stores... I went down the the Sportsmans Warehouse few weeks ago... I am thinking of getting a new handgun, but wanted to check out the weight and grip of a few that I am interested in... The guy there basically treated me like I wasnt any commission, and ignored me... When he did come and help me, he treated me like I was wasting his time... I hate being treated like and "amature" becasue I dont sell guns, and know every gun out there...

I've had the same experience there. Which sucks because I know Trigger Dr. works there and a couple of guys who belong to my range. I did get lucky with two guys there the other day who were decent enough and bought a Ruger Mark III. But generally speaking most of my experience's there have been exactly like yours.

Oh, they don't get commision apparently so I don't know what the issue is with some of them.

Bear 45/70

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
MadHatter66 wrote:

I've had the same experience there. Which sucks because I know Trigger Dr. works there and a couple of guys who belong to my range. I did get lucky with two guys there the other day who were decent enough and bought a Ruger Mark III. But generally speaking most of my experience's there have been exactly like yours.

Oh, they don't get commision apparently so I don't know what the issue is with some of them.
You why not pm the Dr and find out when he is gonna be in the store and go then? Then you know you will be treated right.

kparker

imported post

the previous owner got his butt in a major crack for selling guns illegally

That's saying a bit more than is in actual evidence. Given that all BATF really ended up doing with Borgelt was revoking his FFL, and given that Malvo himself stated to the FBI that he had shoplifted the rifle, there really isn't any clear evidence that Borgelt was anything worse than massively incompetent.

Heck, even the Devil himself, oops, I mean the Brady Center only claimed "gross negligence" in their lawsuit against Bull's Eye.

Bear 45/70

imported post

kparker wrote:
the previous owner got his butt in a major crack for selling guns illegally

That's saying a bit more than is in actual evidence. Given that all BATF really ended up doing with Borgelt was revoking his FFL, and given that Malvo himself stated to the FBI that he had shoplifted the rifle, there really isn't any clear evidence that Borgelt was anything worse than massively incompetent.
How the hell do you shop lift a frickin' rifle and not get caught if the staff is even half way doing their job. Oops, we are missing a rifle but we won't report it as stolen. Yeah, right the whole bunch of them screwed the pooch in the store and should have been prosecuted for aiding and abetting before the fact.

kparker

imported post

Bear, I'm not really that far from your thinking on the issue, except for this: if the B-*ing-ATF couldn't find some criminal charge to try to pin on them, and couldn't fine them enough that their children's children's children would still be begging for bread, then maybe there really wasn't any criminal intentionality there.

Johnny Law

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
How the hell do you shop lift a frickin' rifle and not get caught if the staff is even half way doing their job. Oops, we are missing a rifle but we won't report it as stolen. Yeah, right the whole bunch of them screwed the pooch in the store and should have been prosecuted for aiding and abetting before the fact.
It was an inside job. A couple different employees were stealing the guns and leaving the empty boxes stacked up with the rest, so it appeared that there was nothing missing (until inventory time). If you think about it, if you owned the store, you certainly would not have any reason to not report a theft when you became aware of it, as it certainly wasn't benefitting the owner.

Borgelt sold the gun store, but still owns the indoor range upstairs.

kparker

imported post

Johnny,

Any of those employees ever prosecuted? Still massive incompetence, as even the lamest inventory-control people still do an annual inventory, and the huge disappearances supposedly happened over a period of 3 years.

if you owned the store, you certainly would not have any reason to not report a theft when you became aware of it, as it certainly wasn't benefitting the owner.

Not unless it was the owner himself selling guns off the books and then claiming they were stolen, but even in that case...

Trigger Dr

imported post

You why not pm the Dr and find out when he is gonna be in the store and go then? Then you know you will be treated right.

Better than that, fill out one of the comment forms and turn it in to the STORE MANAGER niot the hunting manager.

I think I can probably describe that person for you. If I am right he has been the result of several customer complaints.

No commissions, we are hourly wage.

gsx1138

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:

Better than that, fill out one of the comment forms and turn it in to the STORE MANAGER niot the hunting manager.

I think I can probably describe that person for you. If I am right he has been the result of several customer complaints.

No commissions, we are hourly wage.

You showed up as I was finishing my paperwork. The black dude was decent to me and I love MMA so we had something to work with. However, the guy who's been an a$$ to me in the past was there but I didn't have to deal with him. I don't know names and I don't think I'd drop any here anyway because that's bad form.

Next time I'm in I will look for those comment forms though. Sometimes I'm too nice and let stuff slide.

Johnny Law

imported post

kparker wrote:
Johnny,

Any of those employees ever prosecuted? Still massive incompetence, as even the lamest inventory-control people still do an annual inventory, and the huge disappearances supposedly happened over a period of 3 years.

if you owned the store, you certainly would not have any reason to not report a theft when you became aware of it, as it certainly wasn't benefitting the owner.

Not unless it was the owner himself selling guns off the books and then claiming they were stolen, but even in that case...
From whatI know of it, the employees quit as the story was unfolding, and it could not be proven who stole what. The reason that the missing guns went unnoticed is because when theyinventoried them (stacked boxes on backroom shelves) they did not bother to open the boxes to verify the contents. They simply glanced at the labels and assumed that the boxes contained their respective guns.

I can't say for sure that Borgelt had no knowledge of the thefts, but my feeling is that he did not. I do know for sure that there were employees that were stealing the guns. Borgelt could make his money by legitimately selling the guns, so he really had no reason to sell them illegally. The employees on the other hand found this a way to make some money on the side, and they got to keep all the profits.