• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hacker takes out the TCDL website and Forum?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I looked here on opencarry.org a bit for some info -- when I found this out -- but didn't see any mention of it (unless it's old news and I missed it):

How long has the TCDL (Texas Citizens Defense League) website and Forum been hacked (and offline/unavailable)?

...and what's going to be done to get it back up...or is it even being worked on?

-- John D.

PT111

imported post

We had two of our faculty websites hijacked like that. I don't know if it was the same group but they are protesting the invasion of Georgia. They are also keeping a record of sites that they have hijacked and seems like it was over 40,000 as of Thursday. I haven't figured out exactly how they are doing it but most of the ones they have done it to are running Linux rather than Windows.

possumboy

imported post

PT111 wrote:
We had two of our faculty websites hijacked like that. I don't know if it was the same group but they are protesting the invasion of Georgia. They are also keeping a record of sites that they have hijacked and seems like it was over 40,000 as of Thursday. I haven't figured out exactly how they are doing it but most of the ones they have done it to are running Linux rather than Windows.

It was probably script monkeys that just sit back and let scripts run against the CM software for know issues.

This is why it is very important to stay up to date on all software that is used.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

Yep. They got us! We are working on getting the TxCDL website back up. We're sorry for the inconvenience. We've been beset with issues but we keep pushing ahead. It's at times like this that we need your help and support and not criticism. The Open Carry Community has been great in helping heighten the awareness of our cause. The chief goal is for Texans to be able to open carry in 2009. The goal of the Texas Citizens Defense League is to establish a solid, long-term watchdog organization that will keep the momentum going and preserve and build on these successes. My hat is off to everyone for your kind support.

Gary Williams

President, TxCDL

PT111

imported post

Hacking techniques are ever evolving, thus the reason for patches. To stay up on the lastest hacking ideas would require someone to actually be creating the techniques. I have people constantly complain about certain sites that I am blocking but I am constantly having to de-infest thier machines for going to those sites that are known problem sites and inadvertently downloading viruses and trojans.

I recently implemented a filter to block certain sites and in the log file immediately after showing that site was blocked the next site blocked was a search on how to bypass the filter for that site. For one of our loudest complainers about blocking we finally gave up and reformatted the hard disk on her machine. Yes she lost all of her personal files but there was no other choice under the time and money constraints.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
What criticism? Who...me?

As for site owners needing to be up on current site-hacking techniques, that's not criticism, just fact.

-- John D.

John - no finger pointing intended. Especially not at you!

Gary

possumboy

imported post

A little late, but I have had similar attacks on sites that I run.

I'm on every email list I can think of for the software that I run.

I meant nothing with my comment either. Just stating how hard it is to keep up with everything. Especially when all the hackers have to do is setup scripts to run and look for exploits.

marklar

imported post

Its a phpbb exploit that allows them to change the main index file, all thier files are still there they just need to re upload thier main index file and update phpbb to the latest version.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

They may be using scripts, but even though I know something about computers I sure don't know enough to hack websites, or even run said scripts.

If I knew as much as those people do, I'd certainly use it for something more productive (and likely much more lucrative...and legal) in cyberspace instead of causing other people grief.

What a waste of talent.

-- John D.