• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fayetteville Observer Avoids The Question.

possumboy

imported post

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=301875

Anyone in the area want to write them about OC?

Q: What is the law regarding open carry of a handgun? — T.T., Fayetteville

A: It is against the law for anyone in North Carolina to conceal a weapon, according to Lt. David Sportsman of the Fayetteville Police Department.

The law defines weapons, in addition to guns, as “Bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shuriken, stun gun or other deadly weapon of like kind,” according to the state Attorney General’s Office.

If you’re on your own property, you can carry any of those items in your pocket or wherever you choose to conceal them.

If you leave your property, however, the law says you must have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, whether it’s in your pocket, in the glove box of your car, under the seat of your car or even under a newspaper in your car.

You can apply for a conceal carry permit at your county’s sheriff’s office. The law requires you to complete a firearms training course before you can receive your permit.

Bear in mind that to get a permit, authorities will do an extensive background check, Sportsman said.

You can read the law by using a search engine to find the state’s General Statutes. Once you have that, look for statute 14-269.

rangerdavid

imported post

he either answered the question he wished he had been asked, or he just gave this answer because he didn't know the correct answer.

well, cops again are not attorneys. seems like he could get a written opinion from the attorney general, or at least the city or county attorney....

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Did someone from OCDO ask this question? It's been stated time and time again that there is no law regarding open carry. Really, his answer could have been simply "there is none".

HIMARSXD

Spring Lake (Harnett County), North Carolina, USA
imported post

IMO, there are a fair number of LEOs that do not know the law. I often ask LEOs what the policy is on open carry. Friday night, I was at Fat Daddy's (Skibo Rd). I asked a Sergeant of the FPD, what the policy was. She first asked me, if I HAD a permit to OPEN CARRY. I stated that I didn't need a permit to OC, she flat out told me that I did. Just to make sure that I heard her correctly, I said Sergeant, I am not taking about CC, she stated"I know". I was really flabbergasted that a Sergeant on the force was naive. I thanked her for her time and proceeded to walk away. She then told me that people that OC ILLEGALY are asking for trouble.

After she said that, I had to ask her several more questions. In a nutshell, she was extremely naive or not as smart as one would expect an LEO would be concerning handguns or weapons for that matter. She also told me that if she saw someone OCing she wouldn't hesitate to arrest them. I ask her what would be the charge. She stated" OCing Illegaly. I told her that tactfully that she should brush up on the General Statues, and the Constitution. She said that I should do the same.I thanked her for her time. I then called my friend who is a LEO on the FPD. He said "Wow, just wow."

One more thing, I OCed in Walmart in Spring Lake yesterday. The greeter (an older woman) asked me why I carried. I told her it was my right. She said "I know it is your right, but why do you carry?". I told her to read the front page of Sunday's newspaper and that I would hate to be in a situation where I needed my weapon to protect me and my family and didn't have my weapon. She said, "Son, I hear ya, I agree". Maybe I should send her to talk to the Sergeant. Thanks.

HIMARSXD

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HIMARSXD wrote:
IMO, there are a fair number of LEOs that do not know the law. I often ask LEOs what the policy is on open carry. Friday night, I was at Fat Daddy's (Skibo Rd). I asked a Sergeant of the FPD, what the policy was. She first asked me, if I HAD a permit to OPEN CARRY. I stated that I didn't need a permit to OC, she flat out told me that I did. Just to make sure that I heard her correctly, I said Sergeant, I am not taking about CC, she stated"I know". I was really flabbergasted that a Sergeant on the force was naive. I thanked her for her time and proceeded to walk away. She then told me that people that OC ILLEGALY are asking for trouble.

After she said that, I had to ask her several more questions. In a nutshell, she was extremely naive or not as smart as one would expect an LEO would be concerning handguns or weapons for that matter. She also told me that if she saw someone OCing she wouldn't hesitate to arrest them. I ask her what would be the charge. She stated" OCing Illegaly. I told her that tactfully that she should brush up on the General Statues, and the Constitution. She said that I should do the same.I thanked her for her time. I then called my friend who is a LEO on the FPD. He said "Wow, just wow." HIMARSXD
Most of the general public probably believes this way too. It is not surprising that a cop would not know the legality of OC in this state. I am not sure why you would expect the average cop to know a whole lot more about it than the average citizen. Cops are just as likely to not know what the law is as average citizens.

HIMARSXD

Spring Lake (Harnett County), North Carolina, USA
imported post

ilbob wrote:
HIMARSXD wrote:

After she said that, I had to ask her several more questions. In a nutshell, she was extremely naive or not as smart as one would expect an LEO would be concerning handguns or weapons for that matter. She also told me that if she saw someone OCing she wouldn't hesitate to arrest them. I ask her what would be the charge. She stated" OCing Illegaly. I told her that tactfully that she should brush up on the General Statues, and the Constitution. She said that I should do the same.I thanked her for her time. I then called my friend who is a LEO on the FPD. He said "Wow, just wow." HIMARSXD
Most of the general public probably believes this way too. It is not surprising that a cop would not know the legality of OC in this state. I am not sure why you would expect the average cop to know a whole lot more about it than the average citizen. Cops are just as likely to not know what the law is as average citizens.
I think the general public as well as I expect LEOs (especially a Sergeant) to know more about basic law or GS on handguns than the average citizen in the state, city or county where they are employed. The average citizen(Walmart worker) did know more about the law than the LEO, that was my point. LEOs(some of them) need to brush up. In order to serve and protect, they must have at least the basic knowledge. Wouldn't you think? I don't think a Sergeant is the "average cop".

GlockLover

NYC (but only for another 1 1/2 year), New York, U
imported post

In the SGT defense, she is cramed with so many statues and laws that she just remembers the ones that she deals with everyday. But most of America doesnt know the gun laws for their own state and or city. Cause i get the same answers when i talk to police officers here in NYC.