• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What about rifles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krag

imported post

I've seen a lot of talk about carrying handguns for self defense--both open and concealed--but I've never seen and cannot find any laws about carrying a rifle for self defense. I'm talking your plain old 30-30 or something like that--not slinging an AK over your shoulder when going to the grocery store. For example, what if I walk out into the Michigan woods in an area where bears (or drunks or rowdies) are located, can I legally carry a rifle for self defense? Do I need to have a small game license and wear hunter orange? What are the laws about carrying a rifle in Michigan? Thanks in advance for the help!

maeqFREEDOMfree

imported post

Good question... I'd be interested as well.
I notice some info
Code:
<a href="http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html">here</a>
that mentions the law stating both:

"...any law abiding citizen of the State of Michigan who can legally possess a firearm may openly carry (in a holster) said firearm in all places not explicitly exempt by law without a CPL.."

as well as

"...
Any law abiding citizen of the State of Michigan who owns a safety inspected handgun may openly carry (in a holster) said firearm in all places not explicitly exempt by law with or without a CPL..."

Any veterans wanna clear this up?

Also - as you can see i can't figure out how to add a link to a post haha... any help on that too would be great thanks!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Krag wrote:
I've seen a lot of talk about carrying handguns for self defense--both open and concealed--but I've never seen and cannot find any laws about carrying a rifle for self defense. I'm talking your plain old 30-30 or something like that--not slinging an AK over your shoulder when going to the grocery store. For example, what if I walk out into the Michigan woods in an area where bears (or drunks or rowdies) are located, can I legally carry a rifle for self defense? Do I need to have a small game license and wear hunter orange? What are the laws about carrying a rifle in Michigan? Thanks in advance for the help!

I don't know of a law that bans long guns from being carried in public. I do know the DNR has rules and laws regarding long guns in areas where game is found. I suggest you look into the hunting laws. IIRC you needed to have a license to hunt, to be able to be in possession of a long gun while in the "Field", and during the hunting season only. You could target shoot on state land outside of the hunting seasons. It could be argued that if you had a small game license you could have a gun in the "Field" year round, as some animal species were open all year, i.e. rock doves, starlings, English sparrows, and some pest animals like groundhogs, red squirrels, etc.

So check with the DNR website, they have an ask a question contact.

taxwhat

imported post

Venator wrote:
Krag wrote:

I don't know of a law that bans long guns from being carried in public. I do know the DNR has rules and laws regarding long guns in areas where game is found. I suggest you look into the hunting laws. IIRC you needed to have a license to hunt, to be able to be in possession of a long gun while in the "Field", and during the hunting season only. You could target shoot on state land outside of the hunting seasons. It could be argued that if you had a small game license you could have a gun in the "Field" year round, as some animal species were open all year, i.e. rock doves, starlings, English sparrows, and some pest animals like groundhogs, red squirrels, etc.

So check with the DNR website, they have an ask a question contact.
loaded long gun on road or in vehicle = jail mdnr

b_twill

imported post

Seems like the key phrase is "in a holster". Since I have yet to find a resonable holster for my Yugo SKS :lol: , I'd say open carrying a long gun is a big no-no. Unless it's firearm hunting season and you have a valid hunting licence and in a designated hunting area....:)

warlockmatized

imported post

b_twill wrote:
Seems like the key phrase is "in a holster". Since I have yet to find a resonable holster for my Yugo SKS :lol: , I'd say open carrying a long gun is a big no-no. Unless it's firearm hunting season and you have a valid hunting licence and in a designated hunting area....:)
Yeah i would have to agree. Also note that the MSP update says quote - Open carry of firearms Subject to MCL 750.234d, it is legal to carry a visible pistol in public. end quote. So i can only logically assume it does NOT pertain to long guns.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

b_twill wrote:

You guys are sounding like the anti's. Show me the law that states it's illegal to open carry a long gun. As I stated there are rules/laws in regards to hunting or walking in areas where game is, but nothing I'm aware of states you can't carry a shotgun slung over your shoulder and go downtown. The preemption laws states FIREARMS not handguns.

Having said that It may not be the best thing to do, but that's what many say about OCing handguns. We are for freedom or we are not. We shouldn't pick and choose which firearm we are free to carry. So I suggest you all rethink what you are posting.

Also if you were carrying the long gun in your hands a case could be made for brandishing (other than hunting afield), but a gun carried via a sling or in a scabbard (that's a big holster for a long gun by the way) you would bein my meaningless opinion okay.

DanM

imported post

Venator wrote:
Having said that It may not be the best thing to do, but that's what many say about OCing handguns. We are for freedom or we are not. We shouldn't pick and choose which firearm we are free to carry. So I suggest you all rethink what you are posting.

+1. I havea very healthy libertarian streak, and I couldn't agree more. The state needs to clearly demonstratea compelling reason to regulate or prohibit things, and then--if they clear that high hurdle--the regulation or prohibition MUST be narrowly tailored. Same thing for individuals.

Those who think a freedom should be limited in specific ways need to make their case on those two points. Do you have a firearm in mind that you think shouldn't be eligible for lawful carry? Do you think open carry shouldn't be legal but concealed carry is fine, or vice versa? Do you think that certain places should be "gun-free zones"? Fine. You may have a case, but you need to demonstrate it. Tell me the clearly compellingreason (hint:it's not based on emotion or personal "feeling" or "what-ifs", but based on facts, ethics, and logic) and tell me how you will narrowly limit the freedom in order not to infringe onthings outside the scope of your proposal.

Thundar

imported post

Having been on the Long Gun Open Carry (LGOC) spear catching team on this forum perhaps I can give my .270

Long gun open carry is a topic that creates great angst among some here that advocate handgun open carry.

Just asking the question will get some forum members upset.

Their argumentsagainstLGOCwill sound very similar to those made by CCers against OCers. You will scare people, you will ruin it for the rest of us, etc., etc.

Be advised that most of the mapson this site assume OC is with a handgun and are not accurate for long guns. Example: Age to open carry map - is only accurate for hand guns, not long guns.

Enjoy your freedom. Carry whatever arms you desire, including long guns,as long as you are not violating any laws.

Live Free or Die,

Thundar

Michigander

imported post

While the public image thing is hugely debateable, I don't think the issues of retention, maneuverability in a confined space, and over penetration are, especially in an urban environment.

As I always say, I encourage everyone to exercise their rights in whatever way they chose, as long as they find it safe and prudent, but for the most part I think defensive long gun carry is less safe and less effective than handguns in a city or downtown area of a township. But I won't tell anyone not to, long as it's legal.

Seriously think about this. Upon falling to the ground and landing on the hammer my CZ52, after blowing a hole through the thickest part of my leg bone, went through 2 layers of plaster, a cement firewall, and managed to mess up my neighbor's ceiling before falling to the ground. A higher power rifle will penetrate much more than that, and a shotgun would have similar abilities to the CZ. If you care about who might be beyond a potential aggressor in a more crowded area, you should probably stick with sub sonic, or just barely super sonic rounds.

So I guess the point is, if you want to carry a long gun, carry a Thompson. :celebrate

army74

Lgoc

I have always open caaried a handgun just dont have one to exspensive right now.I own a mosin nagat a i carry that one the only problem i had was a passerby called 911 cops showed up in force by then i was in my house the officer said its your right to open carry a rifle and its legal showed id didnt have to due to private property my home but he was being nice about so i showed him im not a felon and they left one cop wasnt happy but who cares.it was a good experience for me. im in Waterford mi

TheQ

I'll remind people before discussing this, since this thread opened, LGOC discussion has been made against forum rules.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Personally, I don't care what you or anyone else carries. But this forum has a focus of lawful open carry of HANDGUNS. The owners and administrators of the site have prohibited discussions of long gun open carry everywhere but in the California subforum since ca has prohibited the open carry of handguns

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
when the administrator tells me not to mention long gun open carry on this site then ill stop until then i guess ill talk about it.

The adminstrator has already told you not to discuss the open carrying guns. It's called the forum rules, which you agree to follow when you joined OCDO.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

I don't know why some find this rule so hard to follow, if you want to discuss LGOC, take it elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.