• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Deal on a early 90's Taurus PT101?

Orygunner

imported post

I've got $425 burning a hole in my pocket for a new OC gun. I was considering the Taurus 24/7 pistols because I really liked the Millennium Pro I just sold.

Here's the 24/7 Long Slide SS in 40S&W I found online:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_50_495/products_id/17297

With my local gun shop's fees for the transfer, it would come out to $405. Then I'd still have to find a holster & buy ammo, pushing it up to at least 450 (or higher) range.

However, I stumbled across a pretty good deal (in comparison) on a "very lightly used"early PT101. It was probably manufacturered in 92-93. It's stainless with wood grips, 40S&W, extra mag, nice leather holster, has 30 rounds of self-defense ammo and a half-box (20-25 rds) of FMJ practice ammo with it. The guy is firm at $400 even.

Here's what it looks like, based on his description (this is NOT his actual gun).
http://www.adamsauctioneers.com/images/1920/Guns/P1010098.JPG

Does anyone have any good suggestions about which to go for, and why?The book value for the PT101 seems to make me think it's a good deal, but I won't really know the actual condition until I go and look at it (he says he's only put a couple of hundred rounds through it). I like the appearance of the PT101 better, but I'm hesitant because I'm not familiar with that gun as much as I am the 24/7.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated :)

...Orygunner...

Dr.Coy

imported post

I have a 24/7, it eats anything I throw at it. I'm probably about 500 roudns through it, no jams or anything, brand spanking new. mine is a 9mm version.

the new 24/7s are awesome though. my boss, brother, and friend all want my gun.

Orygunner

imported post

Well, I went ahead and bought the PT101. 16 years old and has had less than 100 rounds through it (so they said). From the shape it's in, that looks accurate. Just a little bit of holster wear on the finish.

...I'll let you know how it shoots...
...Orygunner...