Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas district looking to allow teachers to carry guns to school

Post imported post

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....4babe7ee.html
    HARROLD, Texas - A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to allow teachers and staff to pack guns for protection when classes begin later this month, a newspaper reported.

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.

In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and have to use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

Superintendent David Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves? That's like saying 'sic 'em' to a dog," Thweatt said in Friday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change. He said the district also has various other security measures in place to prevent a school shooting.

"The naysayers think (a shooting) won't happen here. If something were to happen here, I'd much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them," Thweatt said.

Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."

It was unclear how many of the 50 or so teachers and staff members will be armed this fall because Thweatt did not disclose that information, to keep it from students or potential attackers. Wilbarger County Sheriff Larry Lee was out of the office Thursday and did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment, the newspaper said.

Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises districts nationwide, including in Texas, said Harrold is the first district with such a policy.

The 110-student district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Three cheers for the Harrold ISD and Superintendent David Thweatt for their clear headed, rational appoach to campus safety. Here's hoping other districts follow their lead.

Post imported post

cccook wrote:
    Three cheers for the Harrold ISD and Superintendent David Thweatt for their clear headed, rational appoach to campus safety. Here's hoping other districts follow their lead.
    Someone should make him Secretary of Education.

Post imported post

Mr. Thweatt is a wise man.

Post imported post

OMG, that is the first intelligent decision in American education I have am aware of since Jimmah C. created the Dept of mis-Education." A HUGE shout out of admiration and approval for the superintendant and trustees!
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

There is hope!

Post imported post

Here's a USA Today link to the story with a poll at the bottom...

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...school-di.html

Post imported post

I hit the vote.

Here are the current results:

Should teachers be allowed to bring concealed weapons to school?

Yes 62%

No 31%

Not sure 6%

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Just go ahead and do it. Screw the feds.. they don't have any say in the matter anyway. According to the Constitution, the states and the people have far greater power than does the federal government anyway. This would be an excellent case to push the bastards.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Strike one for the good guys in Texas! I could only imagine having to wait 30 minutes for a response from the Sheriff if an incident occured.

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Just go ahead and do it. Screw the feds.. they don't have any say in the matter anyway. According to the Constitution, the states and the people have far greater power than does the federal government anyway. This would be an excellent case to push the bastards.
    There's not a federal issue here. The Gun-Free School Zones Act specifically exempts licensees, if the state license includes a background check. The Texas CHL qualifies; it's only state law that gets in the way of carrying in schools, but it there's an exemption for anyone with permission. The HISD measure requires a CHL, plus some additional training.

But as for your principle, I strongly agree: screw the feds, states take charge.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

This school district must not be under the control of the NEA.

I remember my days in High school (graduated '71) when hunting seasons roled around. Half the cars in the student parking lot would have hunting rifles or shotguns w/ammoin them. We enver heard of a school shooting back then.

Most of the boys carried pocket knifes, too. Worst outbreak of violence we ever saw was the old fachioned fisticuffs which normally resulted in split lips, black eyes......and three licks (administered by the principle with a 2 handed paddle) to the combatants afterwards. I can gaurantee you that at least one if not both the knuckle heads that were fighting had pocket knives, but didn't pull them.

I voted YES, but I looked for the HEEEEEEELLLLLLL YYEEAHH answer.

Post imported post

Voted Yes.

Current results:

What do you think of this policy?

Should teachers be allowed to bring concealed weapons to school?

Yes 64%

No 31%

Not Sure 5%

Total Votes: 865
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Governor Perry is apparently on board with allowing teachers to be armed as well:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...o/5951651.html

Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

NICE!

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/millionaire-patriot-offers-train-every/story.aspx?guid={3549A967-6759-4135-A429-D5A84AE2B11B}&dist=hppr

From the story:

Dr. Ignatius Piazza -- founder and director of Front Sight Firearms Training Institute near Las Vegas, NV, has offered to provide a $2,000 Four Day Defensive Handgun course to every school teacher in the entire Harrold Independent School District to thank Harrold School District administrators for their progressive and rational decision to allow school teachers to carry concealed handguns to protect students against violent attack.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

OUTSTANDING!!! :celebrate

Post imported post

Oh I'm sure that this news has the Brady's collective panties tied in knots!!!!!!! Keep the momentum going!!!!!!

Gov Perry be praised for his support, and Doc Piazza for his generous offer!!!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Well, the anti's had a retarded position to take on the subject, once again:

Marsha McCartney, president of the North Texas Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said the training for a concealed carry license isn't up to the level of law enforcement.
    "It's ridiculous to think that these people are going to have the expertise that law enforcement officers have," she said. "I'm not sure a teacher with just a concealed carry permit is the person you want protecting your school."
    McCartney added that she is concerned about the message children in Harrold ISD may be getting.
    "They are showing their children there's lots to be afraid of. You've got to have a weapon on your body at all times or you're in danger," she said.

So, I sent an email:

Marsha McCartney, president of the North Texas Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said the training for a concealed carry license isn't up to the level of law enforcement.
    "It's ridiculous to think that these people are going to have the expertise that law enforcement officers have," she said. "I'm not sure a teacher with just a concealed carry permit is the person you want protecting your school."
    Hmmm... Expertise of law enforcement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIJOVD8hwY
    The funny thing is, many gun owners are just as, if not more, proficient in the handling of firearms than many law enforcement. Responsible gun owners practice safety and responsibility as if their lives depend on it, because they do.

McCartney added that she is concerned about the message children in Harrold ISD may be getting.
    "They are showing their children there's lots to be afraid of. You've got to have a weapon on your body at all times or you're in danger," she said.

That is the silliest conclusion ever drawn. The danger exists regardless of the possession of a firearm. Ignoring the threat, or wishing the danger isn't real, does not make the threat disappear. Having or not having a firearm doesn't reduce or increase the threat, any more than having or not having health insurance makes you more or less likely to get cancer.

The people at Virginia Tech, Columbine, Pearl High School, and the Lancaster Amish Community school were not "less in danger" because they didn't have firearms. They were just easier to victimize.

A firearm is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. The possession of the firearm gives you an additional option, allowing you to take action, versus lying on the floor, begging that nice gunman not to shoot you.

What the children of Harrold ISD are learning is that you don't ignore your individual responsibilities as a free citizen to defend yourself, your family and your community against those who would harm them.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The message would be, There will be plenty of sheep dogs on duty, watching over the flock this year.

Yeah, I can see how that might be worrysom...........to the wolves.:what:

Post imported post

This is amazing...I find myself in agreement with the president of the North Texas Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence... You've got to have a weapon on your body at all times or you're in danger," she said.

I couldn't agree more!

Post imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
    NICE!

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/millionaire-patriot-offers-train-every/story.aspx?guid={3549A967-6759-4135-A429-D5A84AE2B11B}&dist=hppr

From the story:

Dr. Ignatius Piazza -- founder and director of Front Sight Firearms Training Institute near Las Vegas, NV, has offered to provide a $2,000 Four Day Defensive Handgun course to every school teacher in the entire Harrold Independent School District to thank Harrold School District administrators for their progressive and rational decision to allow school teachers to carry concealed handguns to protect students against violent attack.

The market at work

Post imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
    This is amazing...I find myself in agreement with the president of the North Texas Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence... You've got to have a weapon on your body at all times or you're in danger," she said.

I couldn't agree more!
    Here's something you won't agree with:

http://www.star-telegram.com/state_n...ry/844988.html

Harrold school district's gun policy violates law, group says
    By MARK AGEE
    rmagee@star-telegram.com

Attorneys for a Washington, D.C.-based gun-control advocacy group have the tiny school district of Harrold in their sights.

The 110-student district, 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth near Wichita Falls, made international news last week with a new policy that allows teachers to carry handguns if they have a state permit and permission from the district. The move appears to be unprecedented.

But the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence says school officials may be violating state law.

"When I first read about this, I couldn’t believe it was legal," said Marsha McCartney, president of the Texas chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "It turns out it wasn’t."

Harrold Superintendent David Thweatt didn’t return a phone call late Tuesday, but he has said that the district researched the idea for a year before presenting it to trustees. He has also said he is confident in the legality of the policy.

The change was necessary because his school is 30 minutes from the closest law enforcement agency, the Wilbarger County Sheriff’s Department, leaving students unprotected, he said.

Gov. Rick Perry endorsed the concept of Harrold’s policy at a news conference Monday, citing mass shootings he said could have been stopped if the victims had been armed. He cited the training required before a Harrold teacher or staff member can be approved to carry a gun as a factor that should alleviate concerns.

The legal issues

Texas criminal law prohibits firearms at schools "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."

That is the section of law that Harrold officials cited when discussing the policy.

Brady Center lawyers cite a section of the education code that could cloud the issue.

It reads, "If a board of trustees authorizes a person employed as security personnel to carry a weapon, the person must be a commissioned peace officer."

Cheryl Mehl, an Austin attorney who represents Harrold, said that statute does not apply in this instance.

"It says that’s the case if they are employed as a security personnel," she said. "These are not security personnel. Those are teachers who are just helping to make sure the school is a safer place."

Mehl said the issue is a matter of local control and "within the board’s authority."

"The Legislature has empowered them to govern and set policies as they see fit," she said.

Brady lawyers also said the policy is simply a bad idea.

"One of the reasons our nation’s K-12 schools are far safer than surrounding areas of society is because firearms are very tightly regulated on school property," a memo from the lawyers to the Texas chapter states. It cites federal data showing that children are safer at school than elsewhere. "It is a myth that gun-free schools increase the dangers to our children."

Post imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
    Slayer of Paper wrote: Here's something you won't agree with:

http://www.star-telegram.com/state_n...ry/844988.html

Harrold school district's gun policy violates law, group says
    By MARK AGEE
    rmagee@star-telegram.com

"One of the reasons our nation’s K-12 schools are far safer than surrounding areas of society is because firearms are very tightly regulated on school property," a memo from the lawyers to the Texas chapter states. It cites federal data showing that children are safer at school than elsewhere. "It is a myth that gun-free schools increase the dangers to our children."
    The Brady lawyers actual included that in a memo! Guess they deny what happened at Columbine, VT, the Amish school, the numerous mall shootings, and every other GFZ.

Post imported post

You're right, I absolutely disagree with that...and pretty much everything those crackpots say. In fact, the part I "agreed" with was basically meant as sarcasm from her. From me, it is simply good advice: ALWAYS BE ARMED!

In a related story, I heard that Front Sight, a firearms training center is offering free classes to the teachers of Harold school district. If true, I think that anyone who is considering taking any kind of firearms training should consider using Front Sight. I have been planning to take some defensive handgun training, so I will definitely be looking into that.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Some body needs to tell that McCartney winch to keep her big fat nose out of Texas's business. If she's so scared of guns let her moved to Europe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast