• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas district looking to allow teachers to carry guns to school

hsmith

imported post

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....4babe7ee.html
HARROLD, Texas - A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to allow teachers and staff to pack guns for protection when classes begin later this month, a newspaper reported.

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.

In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and have to use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

Superintendent David Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves? That's like saying 'sic 'em' to a dog," Thweatt said in Friday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change. He said the district also has various other security measures in place to prevent a school shooting.

"The naysayers think (a shooting) won't happen here. If something were to happen here, I'd much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them," Thweatt said.

Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."

It was unclear how many of the 50 or so teachers and staff members will be armed this fall because Thweatt did not disclose that information, to keep it from students or potential attackers. Wilbarger County Sheriff Larry Lee was out of the office Thursday and did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment, the newspaper said.

Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises districts nationwide, including in Texas, said Harrold is the first district with such a policy.

The 110-student district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border.​

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Three cheers for the Harrold ISD and Superintendent David Thweatt for their clear headed, rational appoach to campus safety. Here's hoping other districts follow their lead.

Prophet

imported post

cccook wrote:
Three cheers for the Harrold ISD and Superintendent David Thweatt for their clear headed, rational appoach to campus safety. Here's hoping other districts follow their lead.
Someone should make him Secretary of Education.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OMG, that is the first intelligent decision in American education I have am aware of since Jimmah C. created the Dept of mis-Education." A HUGE shout out of admiration and approval for the superintendant and trustees!

AZkopper

imported post

I hit the vote.

Here are the current results:

Should teachers be allowed to bring concealed weapons to school?

Yes 62%

No 31%

Not sure 6%

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Just go ahead and do it. Screw the feds.. they don't have any say in the matter anyway. According to the Constitution, the states and the people have far greater power than does the federal government anyway. This would be an excellent case to push the bastards.

KBCraig

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Just go ahead and do it. Screw the feds.. they don't have any say in the matter anyway. According to the Constitution, the states and the people have far greater power than does the federal government anyway. This would be an excellent case to push the bastards.
There's not a federal issue here. The Gun-Free School Zones Act specifically exempts licensees, if the state license includes a background check. The Texas CHL qualifies; it's only state law that gets in the way of carrying in schools, but it there's an exemption for anyone with permission. The HISD measure requires a CHL, plus some additional training.

But as for your principle, I strongly agree: screw the feds, states take charge.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This school district must not be under the control of the NEA.

I remember my days in High school (graduated '71) when hunting seasons roled around. Half the cars in the student parking lot would have hunting rifles or shotguns w/ammoin them. We enver heard of a school shooting back then.

Most of the boys carried pocket knifes, too. Worst outbreak of violence we ever saw was the old fachioned fisticuffs which normally resulted in split lips, black eyes......and three licks (administered by the principle with a 2 handed paddle) to the combatants afterwards. I can gaurantee you that at least one if not both the knuckle heads that were fighting had pocket knives, but didn't pull them.

I voted YES, but I looked for the HEEEEEEELLLLLLL YYEEAHH answer.

falcon1

imported post

Voted Yes.

Current results:

What do you think of this policy?

Should teachers be allowed to bring concealed weapons to school?

Yes 64%

No 31%

Not Sure 5%

Total Votes: 865

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

NICE!

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/millionaire-patriot-offers-train-every/story.aspx?guid={3549A967-6759-4135-A429-D5A84AE2B11B}&dist=hppr

From the story:

Dr. Ignatius Piazza -- founder and director of Front Sight Firearms Training Institute near Las Vegas, NV, has offered to provide a $2,000 Four Day Defensive Handgun course to every school teacher in the entire Harrold Independent School District to thank Harrold School District administrators for their progressive and rational decision to allow school teachers to carry concealed handguns to protect students against violent attack.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Oh I'm sure that this news has the Brady's collective panties tied in knots!!!!!!! Keep the momentum going!!!!!!

Gov Perry be praised for his support, and Doc Piazza for his generous offer!!!

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, the anti's had a retarded position to take on the subject, once again:

Marsha McCartney, president of the North Texas Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said the training for a concealed carry license isn't up to the level of law enforcement.
"It's ridiculous to think that these people are going to have the expertise that law enforcement officers have," she said. "I'm not sure a teacher with just a concealed carry permit is the person you want protecting your school."
McCartney added that she is concerned about the message children in Harrold ISD may be getting.
"They are showing their children there's lots to be afraid of. You've got to have a weapon on your body at all times or you're in danger," she said.

So, I sent an email: :D

Marsha McCartney, president of the North Texas Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said the training for a concealed carry license isn't up to the level of law enforcement.
"It's ridiculous to think that these people are going to have the expertise that law enforcement officers have," she said. "I'm not sure a teacher with just a concealed carry permit is the person you want protecting your school."
Hmmm... Expertise of law enforcement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIJOVD8hwY
The funny thing is, many gun owners are just as, if not more, proficient in the handling of firearms than many law enforcement. Responsible gun owners practice safety and responsibility as if their lives depend on it, because they do.

McCartney added that she is concerned about the message children in Harrold ISD may be getting.
"They are showing their children there's lots to be afraid of. You've got to have a weapon on your body at all times or you're in danger," she said.

That is the silliest conclusion ever drawn. The danger exists regardless of the possession of a firearm. Ignoring the threat, or wishing the danger isn't real, does not make the threat disappear. Having or not having a firearm doesn't reduce or increase the threat, any more than having or not having health insurance makes you more or less likely to get cancer.

The people at Virginia Tech, Columbine, Pearl High School, and the Lancaster Amish Community school were not "less in danger" because they didn't have firearms. They were just easier to victimize.

A firearm is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. The possession of the firearm gives you an additional option, allowing you to take action, versus lying on the floor, begging that nice gunman not to shoot you.

What the children of Harrold ISD are learning is that you don't ignore your individual responsibilities as a free citizen to defend yourself, your family and your community against those who would harm them.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The message would be, There will be plenty of sheep dogs on duty, watching over the flock this year.

Yeah, I can see how that might be worrysom...........to the wolves.:what:

Slayer of Paper

imported post

This is amazing...I find myself in agreement with the president of the North Texas Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence... You've got to have a weapon on your body at all times or you're in danger," she said.

I couldn't agree more!