Thread: Help return a gun to the owner.

Post imported post

Readers Digest version: Texas Sheriff finds a 1911 in property room with grips featuring a photo of a young woman, wants to try and return the gun to rightful owner.

The original story is here:

http://www.weatherforddemocrat.com/h...adpicturestory

Some excellent pics are on the military.com forums here:

http://forums.military.com/eve/forum.../5440071591001

That's got to be a piece with some sentimental value to the original owner.

On a side note, this sheriff (aside from being a good egg for wanting to find the owner) is exactly what I picture a Texas county sheriff to look like

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

That is a near historical artifact, not to mention its also significant sentimental and intrinsic value and I hope the original owner is still around to benefit from its return. Major kudos to the Sheriff for trying to see it returned, I'm to jaded to think that would happen around here.

Post imported post

I wonder if anyone has attempted to clue news agencies across the US into the good Sheriff's mission? If the original owner is still around, or his family has knowledge of the gun, chances may be good that he/they doesn't have internet access.

I hope it finds it's way home. That's a really nice 1911, with a poigniant back-story.

Post imported post

I am curious... With these high quality photos of the serial number, how can they identify the true owner? Wouldn't you think that someone would see these photos, and try to claim it?
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

She's a beauty (the gun and the owner's best gal), hope she makes it home.

Post imported post

How utterly sad. Thank goodness they are trying to return it to its owner. WAY too many historically significant, incredibly beautiful guns are molten down. Just ask the damned ATF.:X
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Did the WWII manufactured/issued 1911's have the rear grip safety? I was under the impression that this was a feature added to semi-autos in recent decades.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Pretty much a standard feature since 1911.

Post imported post

Contrary to popular misconception, the grip safety was the only safety the gun was originally built with. The prototype model 1910 had no thumb safety. As I understand it, a grip safety was always a requirement of the Army, and it wasn't until the cavalry tested the gun that the thumb safety and large-radius firing pin stop were added at their insistence.

Edit: The above is a photo of the 1910.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    Contrary to popular misconception, the grip safety was the only safety the gun was originally built with. The prototype model 1910 had no thumb safety. As I understand it, a grip safety was always a requirement of the Army, and it wasn't until the cavalry tested the gun that the thumb safety and large-radius firing pin stop were added at their insistence.

Edit: The above is a photo of the 1910.
    I done lernt som'thin'.

Post imported post

Wow, I bet a real 1910 would be worth a good chunk of cash!

BTW, you mentioned the cavalry; I have a 1911A1 manual that actually illustrates the proper method for using the 1911A1 on horseback. Amazing that a pistol developed in the cavalry era is still going strong.

Post imported post

Oh, but the big question.....
    Where can I get a set of grips with photo in it. Or better yet
    3d holographic grips.
    I just hope the owner hasn't retired in the NE or they will never be able to get it back.

Now that is one nice OC gun.

Post imported post

Update: The owner of the gun has been located:

http://www.star-telegram.com/local/story/872306.html

Always nice to see a happy ending.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
    Update: The owner of the gun has been located:

http://www.star-telegram.com/local/story/872306.html

Always nice to see a happy ending.

--RedKnightt--

I'm certainly glad the owner got his pistol back. Let's take this as a lesson to record the serial numbers of our pistols and other valuables and keep them on file. Photos may not be a bad idea, either.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

Wow! What a story! Where can I get custom grips made from the window of a WWII German Bomber?!

Post imported post

WHOOT chalk another 1 up for the good guys:celebrate

Post imported post

3/8 inch plexi glass
    1/2 HP router
    jewelers files
    A few hours of work and you can create similar handgrips, talk to any plastics fabricator. They will fill you in on your needs.

I'm glad to see a happy ending on this.

Post imported post

While I don't disagree with it being "returned", but the question is, to whom? Am I the only one that is picking up on the fact this was found in an "evidence box", perhaps in the commission of some crime? Wouldn't this person be in jail for murder or something?

If it's being returned since none of these reasons apply, then it sounds like it may have been wrongly taken in the first place. All 1911s need to be with their owners.

Update: Just read the URL above about the owner being found.

Then, about mid-morning, an emotional Jim Morris called from his home in Stephenville with a story about a Nebraska girl who met a young officer from Texas and sent him off to fight the Germans.
    WOW! Just think! This gun may have been used to shoot Nazi scumbags! This thing must be priceless!!

Post imported post

Ah, found my answer.

"A photo that old certainly had my attention," Fowler said. He believes the weapon belonged to a soldier who served in World War II. The Special Crimes Unit executed a search warrant during a drug investigation in mid December. Although the suspect was not at home, the property owner told investigators he believed the gun was stolen. Officers found it underneath a mattress in the residence and logged it into evidence. Sheriff's deputies traced the weapon, which was not reported stolen by the serial number on the gun. Fowler said it was stamped, "United States Property," with model number 11911 A1. The .45 has clear grips with the photo of an unidentified woman, who Fowler believes is the "sweetheart" of the soldier.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Wow, I bet a real 1910 would be worth a good chunk of cash!

BTW, you mentioned the cavalry; I have a 1911A1 manual that actually illustrates the proper method for using the 1911A1 on horseback. Amazing that a pistol developed in the cavalry era is still going strong.
    http://www.sightm1911.com/manual/manual.htm

Page 67, "Marksmanship, Known-Distance Targets, Mounted" I have a paper copy of FM23-35 around here somewhere, I believe.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Firstly, this is a great story.

Where were the gun control laws to protect us? We need more control if criminals can still get a hold of handguns! These gun dealers don't care where the money comes from! Wait, you mean to tell me that he STOLE the gun? He illegally obtained it through criminal acts of theft and not by purchasing from a dealer? Oh.