• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help return a gun to the owner.

RedKnightt

imported post

Readers Digest version: Texas Sheriff finds a 1911 in property room with grips featuring a photo of a young woman, wants to try and return the gun to rightful owner.

The original story is here:

http://www.weatherforddemocrat.com/homepage/local_story_225112349.html?keyword=leadpicturestory

Some excellent pics are on the military.com forums here:

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5291911282/m/5440071591001

That's got to be a piece with some sentimental value to the original owner.

On a side note, this sheriff (aside from being a good egg for wanting to find the owner) is exactly what I picture a Texas county sheriff to look like :)

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

That is a near historical artifact, not to mention its also significant sentimental and intrinsic value and I hope the original owner is still around to benefit from its return. Major kudos to the Sheriff for trying to see it returned, I'm to jaded to think that would happen around here.

AnaxImperator

imported post

I wonder if anyone has attempted to clue news agencies across the US into the good Sheriff's mission? If the original owner is still around, or his family has knowledge of the gun, chances may be good that he/they doesn't have internet access.

I hope it finds it's way home. That's a really nice 1911, with a poigniant back-story.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I am curious... With these high quality photos of the serial number, how can they identify the true owner? Wouldn't you think that someone would see these photos, and try to claim it?

Michigander

imported post

How utterly sad. Thank goodness they are trying to return it to its owner. WAY too many historically significant, incredibly beautiful guns are molten down. Just ask the damned ATF.:X

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Contrary to popular misconception, the grip safety was the only safety the gun was originally built with. The prototype model 1910 had no thumb safety. As I understand it, a grip safety was always a requirement of the Army, and it wasn't until the cavalry tested the gun that the thumb safety and large-radius firing pin stop were added at their insistence.

1910ls2.gif

Edit: The above is a photo of the 1910.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Contrary to popular misconception, the grip safety was the only safety the gun was originally built with. The prototype model 1910 had no thumb safety. As I understand it, a grip safety was always a requirement of the Army, and it wasn't until the cavalry tested the gun that the thumb safety and large-radius firing pin stop were added at their insistence.

1910ls2.gif

Edit: The above is a photo of the 1910.
I done lernt som'thin'. :)

Tomahawk

imported post

Wow, I bet a real 1910 would be worth a good chunk of cash!

BTW, you mentioned the cavalry; I have a 1911A1 manual that actually illustrates the proper method for using the 1911A1 on horseback. Amazing that a pistol developed in the cavalry era is still going strong.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Oh, but the big question.....
Where can I get a set of grips with photo in it. Or better yet
3d holographic grips.
I just hope the owner hasn't retired in the NE or they will never be able to get it back.

Now that is one nice OC gun.

RedKnightt

imported post

Update: The owner of the gun has been located:

http://www.star-telegram.com/local/story/872306.html

Always nice to see a happy ending.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
Update: The owner of the gun has been located:

http://www.star-telegram.com/local/story/872306.html

Always nice to see a happy ending.

--RedKnightt--

I'm certainly glad the owner got his pistol back. Let's take this as a lesson to record the serial numbers of our pistols and other valuables and keep them on file. Photos may not be a bad idea, either.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

3/8 inch plexi glass
1/2 HP router
jewelers files
A few hours of work and you can create similar handgrips, talk to any plastics fabricator. They will fill you in on your needs.

I'm glad to see a happy ending on this.

Statesman

imported post

While I don't disagree with it being "returned", but the question is, to whom? Am I the only one that is picking up on the fact this was found in an "evidence box", perhaps in the commission of some crime? Wouldn't this person be in jail for murder or something?

If it's being returned since none of these reasons apply, then it sounds like it may have been wrongly taken in the first place. All 1911s need to be with their owners. :)

Update: Just read the URL above about the owner being found.

Then, about mid-morning, an emotional Jim Morris called from his home in Stephenville with a story about a Nebraska girl who met a young officer from Texas and sent him off to fight the Germans.

WOW! Just think! This gun may have been used to shoot Nazi scumbags! This thing must be priceless!!

Statesman

imported post

Ah, found my answer.

"A photo that old certainly had my attention," Fowler said. He believes the weapon belonged to a soldier who served in World War II. The Special Crimes Unit executed a search warrant during a drug investigation in mid December. Although the suspect was not at home, the property owner told investigators he believed the gun was stolen. Officers found it underneath a mattress in the residence and logged it into evidence. Sheriff's deputies traced the weapon, which was not reported stolen by the serial number on the gun. Fowler said it was stamped, "United States Property," with model number 11911 A1. The .45 has clear grips with the photo of an unidentified woman, who Fowler believes is the "sweetheart" of the soldier.

AbNo

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Wow, I bet a real 1910 would be worth a good chunk of cash!

BTW, you mentioned the cavalry; I have a 1911A1 manual that actually illustrates the proper method for using the 1911A1 on horseback. Amazing that a pistol developed in the cavalry era is still going strong.
http://www.sightm1911.com/manual/manual.htm

Page 67, "Marksmanship, Known-Distance Targets, Mounted" I have a paper copy of FM23-35 around here somewhere, I believe.