• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teachers with Guns

Triple Tap

imported post

Finially common sense prevails !

HARROLD, Texas — A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to allow teachers and staff to pack guns for protection when classes begin later this month, a newspaper reported.
Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.
In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and have to use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.
Superintendent David Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.
"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves? That's like saying 'sic 'em' to a dog," Thweatt said in Friday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change. He said the district also has various other security measures in place to prevent a school shooting.
"The naysayers think (a shooting) won't happen here. If something were to happen here, I'd much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them," Thweatt said.
Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."
It was unclear how many of the 50 or so teachers and staff members will be armed this fall because Thweatt did not disclose that information, to keep it from students or potential attackers. Wilbarger County Sheriff Larry Lee was out of the office Thursday and did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment, the newspaper said.
Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises districts nationwide, including in Texas, said Harrold is the first district with such a policy.
The 110-student district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5945430.html

Bear 45/70

imported post

wow1.gif
Common sense raises it head, finally.

t3rmin

imported post

Woohoo! As Bear said, common sense!!! This makes my day.

Bear 45/70

imported post

3/325 wrote:
This is just going to take us back to the days of the Old West when there were shootouts in every school!
Name one shootout in any school in the old west. But of course the antis don't care about the facts. Like the fact thatsince their no guns at schools went into effect is when all the school shootings started.

bcp

imported post

http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel200409022215.asp

"Decades ago, Israel adopted a policy that swiftly ended terrorist attacks against schools. Earlier this year, Thailand adopted a similar approach. It is politically incorrect, but it does have the advantage of saving the lives of children and teachers. The policy? Encourage teachers to carry firearms.
...If we are really serious about gun laws that protect “the children,” then it seems clear that — whatever other gun laws a society adopts — every civilized nation at risk of terrorist attack ought to ensure that armed teachers can protect innocent children."

3/325

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
3/325 wrote:
This is just going to take us back to the days of the Old West when there were shootouts in every school!
Name one shootout in any school in the old west. But of course the antis don't care about the facts. Like the fact thatsince their no guns at schools went into effect is when all the school shootings started.

Bear, I was making a mockery of the usual gun-grabber rant. Come on, now... You know me better than that!

Bear 45/70

imported post

3/325 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
3/325 wrote:

Bear, I was making a mockery of the usual gun-grabber rant. Come on, now... You know me better than that!
I know, but I was answering the anti-gun people's thinking from their no logic response to this.

Johnny Law

imported post

As long as the teachers receive some good training to go with their guns. Otherwise youmay have an armed adult potentially attempting to shoot at a bg amongst a room or hall filled with screaming, panicking kids, running every direction. Very similar to taking a shot in a mall full of people. They best know what the hell they are doing, or it could end in disaster via "friendly fire" and as we all know friendly fire, isn't.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Wonderful. Hopefully this will set an example for the rest of the nation...
Did we forget that Utah law authorizes lawfully permitted carry in any public school, and has been that way for years? :p

We already set the example, but it seems that not many states paid attention. :(

joeroket

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Wonderful. Hopefully this will set an example for the rest of the nation...
Did we forget that Utah law authorizes lawfully permitted carry in any public school, and has been that way for years? :p

We already set the example, but it seems that not many states paid attention. :(
No one pays attention because you guys don't have school shootings.:banghead:

3/325

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
3/325 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
3/325 wrote:

I know, but I was answering the anti-gun people's thinking from their no logic response to this.

:lol: Very well, then. Carry on, sir!

Bear 45/70

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
As long as the teachers receive some good training to go with their guns. Otherwise youmay have an armed adult potentially attempting to shoot at a bg amongst a room or hall filled with screaming, panicking kids, running every direction. Very similar to taking a shot in a mall full of people. They best know what the hell they are doing, or it could end in disaster via "friendly fire" and as we all know friendly fire, isn't.
Once again the cops can't stand the thought of anyone but them having guns.
rolleyes.gif
Even when all the facts prove them wrong.