• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the rain?

curtiswr

imported post

Do you OC in the rain, light rain in this case? What do you do afterwards? Do you wipe the gun down and oil it? Am I being too paranoid?

FogRider

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Do you OC in the rain, light rain in this case? What do you do afterwards? Do you wipe the gun down and oil it? Am I being too paranoid?
Unless you have some sort of highly specialized/customized gun, it was designed to get wet. Having said that, I try to avoid getting mine wet. I wipe it down with a well oiled rag, and if it looks like any water at all got inside I take it down and wipe the inside down as well.

Incidentally, this is another reason I like having my CWP. If it's wet enough outside to be concerned about my sidearm, I already have a jacket of some sort on and will just flip the jacket over the gun.

Orygunner

imported post

Nope! Never worried about rust!

norbertsgun.jpg

See! It looks fine! :shock:

Seriously, it's part of why I've come to like stainless steel so much. Less worry of rust overall.

Like FogRider said, if you have a CHL, just flip your coat over it, if available. Otherwise, just make a reasonable effort to avoid wetness, and make sure you strip, clean & oil it if it does get wet. I know even some of the stainless pistols have some regular steel screws & levers & stuff that can rust if not kept oiled.

...Orygunner...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I ccw'd for about ten years in SC and in adverse environmental conditions - 90+F/90+RH in summertime and on a bicycle three hours per day. However I carried my H&K it was wet through out by the end of the day.

I field stripped it and dried it every afternoon and wiped with a rag that had been oiled occasionally oiled. It is as perfect today as it has ever been.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Many years ago I carried both a longgun and a handgun in the rain - rain that lasted all day and all night, and went on pretty much continually for 6 months at a time. No, it was not on the Ark with Noah (although I'm about old enough to have been a passenger if I could have found another animal like myself :shock:) but in Vietnam.

Find a dry place. Strip the weapon down as far as you can. Wipe it dry - use compressed air if you can be sure you are blowing water out - not into - crevices & cracks. Oil it as per your regularcleaning routine. Check the next day for signs of rust. Check the day afterwards, too. If nothing shows up by then, you are good to go.

If you think it might rain on your OC parade, bring a baggie and slip the baggie over the holstered handgun. Yes, it looks stupid, but it can keep your handgun and holster dry. Just remember you are going to have a tougher time getting the thing to function if you try to shoot it while it is inside the baggie.

If you have tried to drown your weapon (ever drop a shotgun from a float blind and have to go diving for it?) you can, only in this instance, use WD-40. Displace all the water by a liberal application. Let the weapon drain as much WD-40 as it can over the course of a few hours, then use carb cleaner to flush out every drop of WD-40. Your metal will be completely bare and need the L&P parts of CLP-like stuff.

Other folks will tell you that they use nothing but WD-40 for gun cleaning. They are the ones with shellac on the moving parts.:p

stay safe.

skidmark

eyesopened

imported post

I've been caught in a rain storm while carrying on my motorcycle. I was in a pretty heavy storm and was wearing a perforated jacket. Jacket protected me for about 10 minutes and then the water saturated the jacket and I got wet. I thoroughly stripped my EMP and gave it a good cleaning. The rounds in the magazine I shot off at the next range session just in case. They were probably fine but I didn't want to take the chance. They all shot fine. I had also stripped the magazines and gave them a good cleaning with CLP. Light rain you should be fine with wiping the surface.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Anyone who can't determine what a flap holster is about is not of this earth. I use several types when it's raining... I also have a CCW but even the Mak and P-38 holsters (whichare fully encased) look like 'gun'. 'Never questioned by any POPO when carrying in that manner. The 1911's butt sticks out a bit... but hardly is that 'concealed' either. If that looks like a cell phone... then I'm a monkey's uncle.:monkey

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Anyone who can't determine what a flap holster is about is not of this earth.

Then that answersone question - Missisissippi is not of this earth. In MS, a weapon is considered concealed if ANY part of the weapon is hidden from view, even by something as small as a piece of string.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Then that answersone question - Missisissippi is not of this earth. In MS, a weapon is considered concealed if ANY part of the weapon is hidden from view, even by something as small as a piece of string.
Cite please because by this interpertation any holstered weapon would be considered concealed and OC would not be legal. If the weapon were laying on a car seat left side up, the right side would be hidden from view and considered concealed?

Yata hey

Sonora Rebel

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Missippi: "A license to carry a concealed pistol or revolver is required for open carry. A license is not required for transporting a concealed or visible firearm in a vehicle.[82][/suP] [83][/suP]

[suP]So... it appears that you need a 'license' (CCW) (?) either way. [/suP]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Missippi: "A license to carry a concealed pistol or revolver is required for open carry. A license is not required for transporting a concealed or visible firearm in a vehicle.[82] [83]

[sup]So... it appears that you need a 'license' (CCW) (?) either way. [/sup]
Aaaah sooo.

Yata hey

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah, MS is really screwed-up about OC. This rule is the result of a court ruling (I think it's linked to on the MS board, I know I've read it recently). The law bans carrying any weapon concealed "in whole or in part" and some dumb-ass judge took it literally, saying that a gun suspended around your neck by a string was concealed by this definition. I've heard from a more than a few MS folks that they'd like this to be overturned by a higher court, but no one really wants to be the test case.

Here in Louisiana, the exact opposite ruling came about in a similar case. The state Supreme court ruled, essentially, that if you can tell someone has a gun, then it's not concealed. Duh (not a legal term, but it ought to be in certain cases).

Sonora Rebel

imported post

A string? Y'know... there's people on the bench 'ain't fit to flip fries at Mickey D's, much less render ridiculous'opinions' such as that. So how else would one 'carry' a weapon openly? In hand? That's even more concealed... and 'brandished'. It's obvious what the personal agenda of this 'judge' is.

The lunatics are runnin' the asylums!:cuss: