• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone OCing at Burning Man?

sprat

imported post

I have never attended a burning man event but I have camped and travelled through that playa north of gerlach ( I am a former Reno resident) everyone has told me its a druggie fest and with plenty of anti-gunners so I would never attend, best to hit that area after they are gone

just my honest opinion

sprat

grishnav

imported post

sprat wrote:
I have never attended a burning man event but I have camped and travelled through that playa north of gerlach ( I am a former Reno resident) everyone has told me its a druggie fest and with plenty of anti-gunners so I would never attend, best to hit that area after they are gone

just my honest opinion

sprat
That would be half the fun, though!

Not to mention that this year's theme is "The American Dream"

Damn I wish I was going. :(

PT111

imported post

Since this is held on public property I don't see how they can enforce all of this.

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/blm_stipulations/blmstipulations.html

THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES ARE PROHIBITED

Event Area (4,085 acres)
8/8 - 9/15

• Aircraft Landing
  • Possession of alcohol by minors
  • Possession of an open alcohol container by motor vehicle drivers
  • Operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence
  • Possession of drug paraphernalia
  • Trespass of persons evicted from the area
  • Ignition of fires on playa surface
  • Possession or use of fireworks
  • Use of a motorized vehicle
  • Public camping (except for ticket holders)
  • Public use (except for ticket holders)
  • Possession of weapons
  • Discharge of waste water
Public Closure Area (8,747 acres)
8/8 - 9/15

• Closed to public camping
  • Discharge of weapons
8/22 - 9/1

• Aircraft landing
  • Trespass of persons evicted from the area
  • Possession or use of fireworks
  • Public use (except for passing through on designated routes)
  • Use of a motorized vehicle (except for passing through on designated routes)
  • Discharge of waste water
  • Possession of firearms prohibited (except within vehicles passing through on designated routes)

ScottyT

imported post

Possession of drug paraphernalia

Bwhahahaha! Like they will enforce this one. Two of my brothers will be there with their hippy friends. A solid week of weed, shrooms and LSD.

I would go to photograph it (as I do several other festivals), but the dust destroys cameras incredibly fast.

I would probably CC if I was going...

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Since this is held on public property I don't see how they can enforce all of this.
The same way I can kick you out of my campsite (which is public property) for doing anything I don't like during the time I've paid for the permit to use it.

Just because a campground is "public property" in say, a National Forest, doesn't mean you can bring all your loud drunk buddies over to hang out in my campsite all night.

The rules are stipulated as part of the permit Burning Man has for exclusive use of the event area during the time of the event.