• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Code of Conduct & Talking Points For Open Carry Events

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I am often asked for suggestions on ways to make the best possible presentation when open carrying.

The following is a rather rambling commentary on some things that are important in making us look professional in front of the press and those who are new to open carry or interested.

----------------------

First, the RULES
-------------------

At all meetings, events, or gatherings, loaded firearms shall NOT be handled; they will remain holstered or otherwise secured at all times!!!

Nightline commented favorably on this fact and having someone handling their firearm could only hurt our image.

Press requests for photographs with the firearm out of the holster should be greeted with a polite denial followed by an explanation that we are dedicated to safety first and foremost!

Suggestions
--------------

- Smile and be as friendly ALL THE TIME NO MATTER WHAT
- Children make any event look more family friendly
- A diverse group of people (men, women, black, white, etc) makes us look mainstream
- No alcohol
- No alcohol t-shirts
- No camo
- No biker vests
- No "from my cold dead hands" talk

Remember, we are "public policy advocates" or "civil rights activists". Our cause is NOT the 2nd Amendment per se, but rather it is "self-defense rights" or "citizens rights". While the 2nd Amendment protects these rights, we want to fully integrate law-abiding gun ownership into the public arena for maximum benefit to all Americans.

Good talking points
-----------------------

- We always obey the law even if we are working to change it
- We feel that greater self-defense rights are a good public-policy decision
- We are not attempting to draw attention to ourselves by open carrying but we ARE attempting to show our fellow citizens that their family, friends and neighbors ARE gun owners and exercise their rights as gun owners in a safe manner.
- Use the phrase "It is time that gun ownership comes out of the closet" or "We want to demonstrate that carrying a firearm for self-defense is not only safe but wholesome".
- Another good soundbite if you have children is "I do it for the children. After all, I cannot protect them if I am helpless myself."

WARCHILD

imported post

Excellent idea John. May I also suggest: If a confrontationoccurs with an LEO, comply with all requests, directives, orders; no matter how silly or illegal, and sort it out later.I don't think we need to "push" or rights at a gathering and create a scene that would leave an even more negative view of our picnics.Of which I see law enforcement trying to do (intimidation by badge) toemphasis their point that it's nota good idea to OC.Just my2 cents worth.

ruger45

imported post

dougwg wrote:
I think the words of Dalton from RoadHouse works to.

"Be Nice!"

"Ditto"...........oh, sorry, wrong Patrick Swayze movie!

Ya know, it is kinda BS though that we have to not wear certain articles of clothing because those things are often thought of as being associated with "out of the norm" people. :banghead: Going to go change out of my camo pants & biker vest for the Warren event today. :p

MrsRuger45

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
dougwg wrote:
I think the words of Dalton from RoadHouse works to.

"Be Nice!"

"Ditto"...........oh, sorry, wrong Patrick Swayze movie!

Ya know, it is kinda BS though that we have to not wear certain articles of clothing because those things are often thought of as being associated with "out of the norm" people. :banghead: Going to go change out of my camo pants & biker vest for the Warren event today. :p
oops! I didn't realize that ruger45 was logged in, I thought I was!! I actually wrote that! :uhoh:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i didn't see this list ahead of time, but the people at the picnic today were one of the most polite and low-key group of people i've ever met. i don't think i heard even one inflammatory comment from the bunch. and there definitely wasn't any pistol waving.:celebrate

warlockmatized

imported post

dougwg wrote:
John,

You forgot one.

Always offer any LEO's a home made rootbeer, in a 22oz beer bottle.

And don't offer them a glass. ;)
That was priceless. It was even nice of him to return the empty. He must have really liked it Doug (as did I) since "his" bottle seemed to be licked clean.

I would once again like to thank John for his involvement.

Dan F.

imported post

jpierce wrote:
I am often asked for suggestions on ways to make the best possible presentation when open carrying.

The following is a rather rambling commentary on some things that are important in making us look professional in front of the press and those who are new to open carry or interested.
...[balance of post deleted]
Excellent set of ground rules. Thank you for posting them.

DanM

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
Ya know, it is kinda BS though that we have to not wear certain articles of clothing because those things are often thought of as being associated with "out of the norm" people.
I agree, it's BS that people so easily, intentionally or subconsciously, "read a book by it's cover". But that's a reality, especially when it comes topeopleseeing aTV broadcast, a newspaper picture,or in passingby.

Iaccept that I've got to leave on the hangermy camo clothing, inappropriate t-shirts, and other clothing which could possibly be perceived as less than "wholesome". Even though I know I'm a fine, upstanding citizen, that's just the tactic that needs to be taken in this battle for hearts and minds. :)

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

These are all good ideas, but I can't say that I like some of them. It feels like caving in to the anti crowd if all of these are followed. There's really nothing I hate more than caving in. If an LEO is making unlawful demands, they will get no compliance from me, and being at an event should not change that. Also, I am not a smiley and friendly person when being hassled, nor will I fake it for a camera. I also find the rule against unholstering to examine a firearm to be overprotective. Unholstering is dangerous in the way taking a left turn is dangerous, and should not be put down so much.

Honestly, if there's one thing I hate, it's "niceness". It's fake. Kindness is completely different. I always treat people with respect, but I am never nice to someone who tries to give me trouble.

DanM

imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
These are all good ideas, but I can't say that I like some of them. It feels like caving in to the anti crowd if all of these are followed. There's really nothing I hate more than caving in. If an LEO is making unlawful demands, they will get no compliance from me, and being at an event should not change that.
The suggestion by Warchildisn't merely to comply with a LEO. It is:comply with the LEO and sort it out later. That "sorting out later" may be as simple as the LEO being corrected very shortly by a colleague or supervisor, hopefully with an apology, and you being freed to go. Or it could be a little more involved with a civil lawsuit against the LEO and his employing police department. In any way it resolves itself, complying peacefully and sorting things out later is the most productive path. However, it does require bravely adhering to mental strength and calmness in the face of a highly stressful situation. If you feel that your personal reaction to an unreasonable LEO encounter may likely end up with you being cuffed and stuffed in short order, I certainly stand up for your right to OC as an individual but I wouldn't want to be in a group with you being covered by the media. What is covered by the media goes out to the general public, and what goes out to the general public about open carry folks should convey a sense that we are calm and strong in the face ofstress.

Rogue9er wrote:
Also, I am not a smiley and friendly person when being hassled, nor will I fake it for a camera.

The suggestion by Warchild concerning unreasonable LEO encounter ("being hassled")doesn't say you should smile or be friendly. The suggestion, elsewhere, about smiling and being friendly is a general one, and I think a very good one. I think you may be conflating the two suggestions. That is an error.

Rogue9er wrote:
I also find the rule against unholstering to examine a firearm to be overprotective. Unholstering is dangerous in the way taking a left turn is dangerous, and should not be put down so much.

The rule is specifically about"press requests for photographs with the firearm out of the holster". I don't take that as a rule to mitigate danger, but a rule to mitigatedamage to our message that wesimply carry for self-defense. If we are photographed with weapons drawn from holsters without a self-defense reason, doesn't that then undermine our core message and severely damage our credibility? Not to mention, do you expose yourself--with photographic evidence--to being charged, whether rightfully or not, with brandishing or other infractions which a zealous prosecutor may attempt to bring against you?

Rogue9er wrote:

Honestly, if there's one thing I hate, it's "niceness". It's fake. Kindness is completely different. I always treat people with respect, but I am never nice to someone who tries to give me trouble.
Insincere niceness is fake. Sincere niceness is not. No rules or suggestions here say you should either be sincerely or insincerely nice when being given trouble.

snake021

imported post

I don't know where to start.

Should I cover up my tattoos? No bikes allowed either, since there are no biker vests allowed? Camo, wtf, what's next, suit and tie only? What about my military tees?If I cuss, am I going to be asked to leave?

This is a slippery slope if you ask me. I feel like I've just been told I'm not welcome around fellow OC'ers because of WHO I AM! Why don't we just start calling the get togethers "A religious OC meeting"?

While I applaud the founding of this site, the founders did not found the laws. Screw the media, I'm not OC'ing to please them. OC'ing is about rights, now we should supress some of our rights because they might be offensive to some? Quit trying to please everyone, it always fails.

Edit to add: I will unholster to a fellow OC'er, not the media.

WARCHILD

imported post

snake021 wrote:
I don't know where to start.

Should I cover up my tattoos? No bikes allowed either, since there are no biker vests allowed? Camo, wtf, what's next, suit and tie only? What about my military tees?If I cuss, am I going to be asked to leave?

This is a slippery slope if you ask me. I feel like I've just been told I'm not welcome around fellow OC'ers because of WHO I AM! Why don't we just start calling the get togethers "A religious OC meeting"?

While I applaud the founding of this site, the founders did not found the laws. Screw the media, I'm not OC'ing to please them. OC'ing is about rights, now we should supress some of our rights because they might be offensive to some? Quit trying to please everyone, it always fails.

Not at all. I can only speak for myself but this is my opinion on the subject; We are honestly thinking of you and those who dress similar to what you describe. Given the negative stigma and "profiling" of officers and people in general, we are only thinking you would be less likely to be "hasseled" by anyone. We do not require a "dress code" for any of our outings, at least I don't agree with it, and don't think anyone dressed in this manner would be asked to leave or be condemed for doing so. If you would like to attend, dress as you wish and come see me; I will gladly stand and talk with you. It was only made as a suggestion for this outing because of the strong police presence and as it turned out, rightfully so,for given the total over reaction by the Warren PD, I think anyone dressed in this manner would probably have been challenged by the PD justto make a point. Just my thoughts.

DanM

imported post

snake021 wrote:
The suggestions about dress are just that . . . suggestions. You will be welcomed, however, no matter what. Allow me to share my perspective on these suggestions that others have made. Whenin a job interview, I have put on some of my best clothing, would cover up my tattoos if I hadany, and refrained from cussing (which I do as well as you do). Why?Because initial impressionsmatter to people who don't know me, no matter how great a guy I really am. It's not fair, but it's reality, and I conform to reality in order to achieve my goal (winning the job).

The group get-togethers are frequently covered by the media. Similarly, I want to win something from themedia's audience which will see the video or pictures. Their hearts and minds. Being dressed as best as I feel comfortable, and being well-behaved, that audience'sinitial impression of me and, by extension, gun owners and carriers, will be helped to be as favorable as possible.

snake021 wrote:

If you publicly unholster without a self-defense reason at a get-together of OCDO members, you have undermined their message to the public. That message is, "I'm carrying openly in public in order to be prepared for defense of myself and family." I sincerely encourage you to unholster to a fellow OC'er in a private area. Not only will you protect the message, but you will avoid potential to be charged, rightfully or not, with brandishing or other charges a zealous prosecutor may bring against you.

At any rate, if you plan on attending an OCDO get-together and you still feel you may publicly unholster for a non-defense reason, please let us know on the forum so that I may plan on not attending.

Edit to clarify:

It is certainly anyone's right to do anything lawful which theyplease to do. I'm libertarian and I would defend snake021's right to publicly unholster for whatever non-threatening purpose he might have in mind, and I would defend him from anyone who might say it is a criminal act. However, I can disagree with it and not be around it, based on my understanding of the philosophy of these get-togethers.

What is my understanding of the philosophy of OCDO get-togethers? It is friends who are meeting up to go about some normal non-firearm related social pursuit (shopping, dining, picnicing, etc.) with the sidearms just being there with no special notice, at least from us, unless we need to use them for self-defense. Further, my understanding is that it is specifically this way in order to convey a specific public image for the education and acclimitization of the public and law enforcement: normal law-abiding citizens conducting every-day activities, with the sidearm just being there on the belt, ready to be unholstered and used if self-defense is necessary.

warlockmatized

imported post

DanM wrote:
SNIP: (Emphasis added by me to the quoted lines)

At any rate, if you plan on attending an OCDO get-together and you still feel you may publicly unholster for a non-defense reason, please let us know on the forum so that I may plan on not attending.

Edit to clarify:

It is certainly anyone's right to do anything lawful which theyplease to do. I'm libertarian and I would defend snake021's right to publicly unholster for whatever non-threatening purpose he might have in mind, and I would defend him from anyone who might say it is a criminal act. However, I can disagree with it and not be around it, based on my understanding of the philosophy of these get-togethers.

What is my understanding of the philosophy of OCDO get-togethers? It is friends who are meeting up to go about some normal non-firearm related social pursuit (shopping, dining, picnicing, etc.) with the sidearms just being there with no special notice, at least from us, unless we need to use them for self-defense. Further, my understanding is that it is specifically this way in order to convey a specific public image for the education and acclimitization of the public and law enforcement: normal law-abiding citizens conducting every-day activities, with the sidearm just being there on the belt, ready to be unholstered and used if self-defense is necessary.
+1 you hit the nail on the head Dan.

I personally feel that un-holstering so as to admire some one elses piece or to share your own in a public setting such as a picnic or any other social OCDO gathering goes against EVERYTHING we stand for. One of our many goals Snake, is to remove any and all doubt from LE, the media, and the public at large that the ONLY way ANY of us would EVER remove them from their holsters, is in self defense. I understand you are from Ohio, but here in Michigan, to practice "lawful" open carry, they MUST remain holstered at all times.

I can't speak for everyone here, but if i personally witnessed someone remove their weapon for ANY purpose other than self defense at an OCDO gathering that i or my family is attending, OR to unload to properly lock for transport away from said gathering. That person would be considered as an UN-desirable in MY eyes and would be on the receiving end of a 911 call!!!

There is absolutely NO reason to share your weapon with the group. In MY eyes it would be nothing more than a "show off" type situation. "Here have a look at my extensively modified and pricy custom piece". OCDO is about awareness and education. NOT machismo and chest beating.

Tucker6900

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
OR to unload to properly lock for transport away from said gathering. That person would be considered as an UN-desirable in MY eyes and would be on the receiving end of a 911 call!!!

There is absolutely NO reason to share your weapon with the group. In MY eyes it would be nothing more than a "show off" type situation. "Here have a look at my extensively modified and pricy custom piece". OCDO is about awareness and education. NOT machismo and chest beating.

OTHER THAN SOMEONE DISARMING THEMSELVES SO THEY ARE WITHIN THE LAW TO TRANSPORT A FIREARMS, I absolutely agree with you.

warlockmatized

imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
warlockmatized wrote:
OR to unload to properly lock for transport away from said gathering. That person would be considered as an UN-desirable in MY eyes and would be on the receiving end of a 911 call!!!

OTHER THAN SOMEONE DISARMING THEMSELVES SO THEY ARE WITHIN THE LAW TO TRANSPORT A FIREARMS, I absolutely agree with you.
Those without CPL (like myself) MUST disarm to transport. What i meant but probably not properly worded knowing "me" lol. I have no issues with someone disarming at their vehicle to transport as described by law. Thats how i do it, since i HAVE to.

5.7/40s&w

imported post

I was at the o.c.picnic to get info. about o.c. and talk about it.but the feeling I got from the small amount of people I talk too was like I was not in there click . I thought that was what the picnic was for so people that don't know can see people that do know .