• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What reaction do police have when they see you carrying?

Michigander

imported post

I've been noticing since I got to Arizona that a lot of times when cops, or even fireman see me and my gun, they wave at me and smile, and say hello if they are close enough. I guess they figure I'm one of the good guys, so they may as well wave and be friendly. They definitely don't think I'm a cop, because I use a camoflage holster, and most of the time I wear beat up construction clothes. It makes plenty of sense with this being Arizona, although with all of the trouble cops have caused in so many places where people open carry, I've got to wonder how many other people have experienced this.

So basically, as stated, whether good or bad, I'd like to know how the cops mostly react when they clearly see you packin' in your part of the country.

Aran

Banned
imported post

Grabbing me, putting me in handcuffs, and detaining me for a half hour before finding out I really WASN'T doing anything wrong, then yelling at me for 15 minutes for causing a hazard to everyone around me.

GWbiker

imported post

....in Tucson:

LEO upon seeing my firearm: Nice compact gun. Which caliber?

Me: It's a Taurus PRO 745, .45ACP 6+1.

The conversation then turns into a 25-30 minute discussion between us on rising ammo prices, ballistic numbers between .40S&W and .45ACP and which gun shop offers the best deals or LEO discounts on firearms.

(I like Arizona):D

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
"You're under arrest."

"But it isn't illegal."

"I make the laws."

Basically like that.

:) that is funny...

I have seen many cops when I OC, when I am on my bike, they just look at me.

The only LEO i cam in close contact with looked at me, turned his head back to the guy he was talking to, then looked back at my gun for 3 secand continued his conversation with the guy. As he left he said to me take care.

That was my 1st day of OC. I saw his car outside the gun shop when I pulled up, and thought here we go, time to stand at attention at gun point.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

"Please keep your hands where we can see them."

"Why don't you just conceal?"

"My partner has his weapon out in case you try anything funny."

Of course this all stopped after my lawyer sent the city an interesting little letter:p

Actually it isn't that bad, but one or two bad encounters stick in your head. It's like crusing sailors. We'll talk about storms, bad ports, bad anchorages, things that break, etc... and not so much about the sunsets, the great weather, etc... There is no challenge in the good times, but in the bad, and that is what generates the most conversation even though most of the time is good.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
"You're under arrest."

"But it isn't illegal."

"I make the laws."

Basically like that.
If this is the attitude of the LEOs in your state, you people have got to get together and make sure those officers are working in kitchens or carrying out the trash the rest of their lives.. not pretending to be public servants.

SouthernBoy

imported post

I live in Virginia and have yet to have a negative/bad/questionable encounter with a police office when carrying open or concealed. Not once. That means state and county.

And not one encounter with a citizen negative in nature either. The only gawkers have been young children (boys), some non-indigenous people (probably from Central or South America), and once from a van with two people gassing up. The van had Maryland plates.

Some questions, some comments (none negative), and some humorous moments. So far, it's all been good.

MetalChris

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
The only LEO i cam in close contact with looked at me, turned his head back to the guy he was talking to, then looked back at my gun for 3 secand continued his conversation with the guy. As he left he said to me take care.

That was my 1st day of OC. I saw his car outside the gun shop when I pulled up, and thought here we go, time to stand at attention at gun point.

Dang man, I bet you were nervous! I know I would've been...

As for LEO's reactions to my open carrying...I've only done it once so far, and didn't encounter any cops. :)

yeahYeah

imported post

ive never had an encounter out here, but i've been told the majority of the cops here are cool with it and understand the laws. It's the nature of the town i live in. there is a lot of gun crime.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:

Dang man, I bet you were nervous! I know I would've been...

As for LEO's reactions to my open carrying...I've only done it once so far, and didn't encounter any cops. :)
Not really, I was more not sure of what was going to happen. I went into that shop earlier that day and the owner seemed not to mind the OC, but when I came back and saw the trooper's car out side the thought did cross my mind that he was called because of my OC there the first time. But I saw his car andjust went for it. I was more nervous when I walked into my bank :D

Michigander

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
And not one encounter with a citizen negative in nature either. The only gawkers have been young children (boys), some non-indigenous people (probably from Central or South America), and once from a van with two people gassing up. The van had Maryland plates.
I actually had my very first negative encounter with a civilian today. A southern californian asked me to leave his store. My friend and I both left, and that guy lost my friends loyal business. Really surprising it took this long to have a negative encounter. I've been OCing every day for the past 4 months or so.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Michigander wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
I actually had my very first negative encounter with a civilian today. A southern californian asked me to leave his store. My friend and I both left, and that guy lost my friends loyal business. Really surprising it took this long to have a negative encounter. I've been OCing every day for the past 4 months or so.
You see.. perfect example of what I have been yakking and complaining about for a long time. You live in Phoenix and here you have a displaced Californian who brought his corrupted California ideas with him to Arizona which has a significantly different approach to armed citizens. When people leave a state which has liberal and restrictive laws and such, to a state where freedom abounds, they need to leave their baggage where they came from before entering their new domain, lest they pollute the new premises with their antiquated and restricted concepts.

like_the_roman

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
When people leave a state which has liberal and restrictive laws and such, to a state where freedom abounds, they need to leave their baggage where they came from before entering their new domain, lest they pollute the new premises with their antiquated and restricted concepts.

The fact that coastal liberals can keep moving into the hinterlands only helps them maintain their delusions. They can advocate open borders, gun control, higher taxes, etc. without having to live with the results.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here in Fairfax, cops don't really react. I've certainly been spotted by a few, but none ever came close enough to even say "good day."

Michigander

imported post

Anti gun southern Californians are exactly why I feel obligated to open carry. Open carry in Arizona is kind of like a heritage I feel a need to help protect from them.

Orygunner

imported post

After OCing occasionally for a few months in Springfield, Oregon, I walked into a Dairy-Mart (local area convenience store) and a city cop walked in right behind me. I was OCing my Taurus PT111 Pro. I got my stuff & got in line, and he got in line right behind me. I turned, nodded to him, he nodded back. I paid, and left. Completely non-eventful. :)

...Orygunner...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I've OC'd off 'n on since 1968 in AZ... 'til I finally moved here 3 years ago 'n OC'd daily since. 'Never had so much as a blink from any LEO. 'Been asked if it was a .45, but that's all. 'Only people who seem to get a case of the ass are Commiefornians 'n New Yorkers.