• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Declaration of Independence

scorpioajr

imported post

Got a link?

Its an original COPY that was circulated and read to 'the people', right?
http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_10191347

"The copy of the Declaration of Independence will be on display at the Utah State Capitol on Friday and Saturday. The event opens with a press conference at 10 a.m. on Friday and is open until 5 p.m. It is open 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday. The display is free and open to the public."

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

33itmefs wrote:
My wife just stated the obvious, its at the Capitol, she said I cant take my gun.....that is wrong on so many levels. :banghead:
I would love to see this important piece of history, and have yet to open carry in the capitol rotunda, so I just might go!

scorpioajr

imported post

33itmefs wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
33itmefs wrote:
My wife just stated the obvious, its at the Capitol, she said I cant take my gun.....that is wrong on so many levels. :banghead:
I would love to see this important piece of history, and have yet to open carry in the capitol rotunda, so I just might go!

Stupid question, are you saying I could carry concealed there? Isnt it a state Capitol patrolled by UHP and so its off limits to guns due to legislature and being on the same "level" as courts and whatnot? Or am I way off base?

***edit, I confirmed with UHP special detail, 538-1111, firearms are prohibited and this is not one of those that is up to interpretation or debate. :p***
538-111 ? Can we get a link to the law or a hefty cite?

cause it just looks like a phone number to me:

http://des.utah.gov/highwaypatrol/offices/offices_dignitary_portection.html

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I am not sure if you are kidding or not, the :p makes me believe that you are.

Just in case though... Carrying in the capitol, openly or concealed (with permit, of course) is perfectly lawful. If the Utah Highway Patrol tells you otherwise, they are wrong.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

33itmefs wrote:
Stupid question, are you saying I could carry concealed there? Isnt it a state Capitol patrolled by UHP and so its off limits to guns due to legislature and being on the same "level" as courts and whatnot? Or am I way off base?
Just because something is patrolled by the Utah Highway Patrol, does not make it off limits like a courthouse.
Even courthouses and police stations are not off limits, just the secured areas of those buildings.

scorpioajr

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
33itmefs wrote:
Even courthouses and police stations are not off limits,
For Permit Holders only, correct?

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

33itmefs wrote:
Your wife is in error.

It is perfectly legal to carry (openly, or with a permit concealed) at the capital. I have done it many times, including OC.

The docents and highway patrol who provide security there are HIGHLY professional, know the laws, and are very unlikely to even contact, much less hassle you.

You will NOT find the State capital in the list of prohibited places for possession of a gun anywhere in State code.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

No, treat them as you would the airport. You can carry all the way up to the metal detectors. Now some courthouses and police stations will not have metal detectors, so make sure you are aware of where the sterile area begins. Per Utah law, they may not designate the entire building as a secure facility, only a portion of it.

scorpioajr

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

...Now some courthouses and police stations will not have metal detectors, so make sure you are aware of where the sterile area begins....
And if they have metal detectors, a permit-less OCer would have to relinquish his/her sidearm for lockup in said 'secure zone' or would he/she be asked to leave?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

A concealed firearm permit will not get you into the secured area, you will still need to check your firearm. You do not need a permit to open carry in the regular part of the building. That being said, not a facilities are complying with Utah law. They are required to have safe storage for your checked firearm, but places like the Utah County Courthouse in Provo do not. They will ask you to leave.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

[font="Arial,Helvetica"] 78A-2-203. Rules -- Right to make -- Limitation -- Security.
(1) Every court of record may make rules, not inconsistent with law, for its own government and the government of its officers; but such rules must neither impose any tax or charge upon any legal proceeding nor give any allowance to any officer for service.
(2) (a) The judicial council may provide, through the rules of judicial administration, for security in or about a courthouse or courtroom, or establish a secure area as prescribed in Section 76-8-311.1.
(b) (i) If the council establishes a secure area under Subsection (2)(a), it shall provide a secure firearms storage area on site so that persons with lawfully carried firearms may store them while they are in the secure area.
(ii) The entity operating the facility with the secure area shall be responsible for the firearms while they are stored in the storage area referred to in Subsection (2)(b)(i).
(iii) The entity may not charge a fee to individuals for storage of their firearms under Subsection (2)(b)(i).

(3) (a) Unless authorized by the rules of judicial administration, any person who knowingly or intentionally possesses a firearm, ammunition, or dangerous weapon within a secure area established by the judicial council under this section is guilty of a third degree felony.
(b) Any person is guilty of violating Section 76-10-306 who transports, possesses, distributes, or sells an explosive, chemical, or incendiary device, as defined by Section 76-10-306, within a secure area, established by the Judicial Council under this section. [/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]
76-8-311.1. Secure areas -- Items prohibited -- Penalty.
(1) In addition to the definitions in Section 76-10-501, as used in this section:
(a) "Correctional facility" has the same meaning as defined in Section 76-8-311.3.
(b) "Explosive" has the same meaning as defined for "explosive, chemical, or incendiary device" defined in Section 76-10-306.
(c) "Law enforcement facility" means a facility which is owned, leased, or operated by a law enforcement agency.
(d) "Mental health facility" has the same meaning as defined in Section 62A-15-602.
(e) (i) "Secure area" means any area into which certain persons are restricted from transporting any firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive.
(ii) A "secure area" may not include any area normally accessible to the public.

(2) (a) A person in charge of a correctional, law enforcement, or mental health facility may establish secure areas within the facility and may prohibit or control by rule any firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive.
(b) Subsections (2)(a), (3), (4), (5), and (6) apply to higher education secure area hearing rooms referred to in Subsections 53B-3-103(2)(a)(ii) and (b).
(3) At least one notice shall be prominently displayed at each entrance to an area in which a firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive is restricted.
(4) (a) Provisions shall be made to provide a secure weapons storage area so that persons entering the secure area may store their weapons prior to entering the secure area.
(b) The entity operating the facility shall be responsible for weapons while they are stored in the storage area.
(5) It is a defense to any prosecution under this section that the accused, in committing the act made criminal by this section, acted in conformity with the facility's rule or policy established pursuant to this section.
(6) (a) Any person who knowingly or intentionally transports into a secure area of a facility any firearm, ammunition, or dangerous weapon is guilty of a third degree felony.
(b) Any person violates Section 76-10-306 who knowingly or intentionally transports, possesses, distributes, or sells any explosive in a secure area of a facility. [/font]

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

It is usually those who no nothing about the law that are "the experts". Take my mom for example... Not long ago, I was talking to her about somebody I ran into at the bank. She asked me if I open carried my Glock into the bank. When I told her that I did, she freaked!! "You are lucky they did not call the cops on you! Don't you know that guns are illegal in the bank?!?!?" She was even more surprised when I showed her pictures of us carrying with the police at Utah Valley University. I love Utah!