• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boone county is 78th County to Support Concealed Carry for Illinois - time for open carry event?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I think if some folks in Illinois scouted out a public area to have a picnic for open carriers in an unincorporated area, you would get press from all over the state.

See video on concealed carry resolution at http://www.wrex.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=2801345&h1=Boone%20County%20Supports%20Concealed%20Carry&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=81833&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&rnd=35427627

--

http://www.wrex.com/Global/story.asp?S=8838714
Boone County Board Votes on Resolution to Support Concealed Carry

style="FONT-SIZE: 9px; COLOR: #000000"Posted:
var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Aug 13, 2008 11:42 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);
Aug 13, 2008 11:42 PM EDT

8838714_BG1.jpg

style="FONT-SIZE: 9px; COLOR: #000000"Boone County Board Members voted to approve a resolution in support of concealed carry.

By Inggrid Yonata

BELVIDERE - Boone county is the latest to take up the issue of concealed carry. Board members approved a symbolic resolution in support of it. Just like in Winnebago County,the issue of concealed carry has come up several times in Boone County. On Wednesday, it joins 77 other counties that have stated their support for the house bill on concealed carry in Springfield.

The Boone County Board Members hope the vote they made willhave an effectat the state level.Head of the County's Public Safety Committee, Dana LaPier said,"This is merely a symbolic resolution to support that." Two board members are opposed to supporting concealed carry.

Boone County Board Chairwoman Catherine Ward said,"Some of them believe that [they]are in favor of [owning] a weapon, but they're not in favor of a concealed weapon. That was the reason for some of them. And also our sheriff has said he has some concerns about how this would be handled and to make sure we do it in the right way."

Chairman Ward said the issue is no doubt a tough one for many people but she believes passing the concealed carry willgive families a way to defend themselves against criminals. "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. AndI think that's probably a very accurate statement." she said.

The Public Safety Committee plans to talk about whether to pass more than just a symbolic resolutionin a meetingafter Labor Day.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.pro2aresolution.com/id12.html

actually 83 counties have signed up for the resolution.

several additional counties are putting an advisory referendum on the ballot this November.

a couple of counties are studying if it is legal for a county to introduce concealed carry within that county.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

There is a bit of confusion. The resolution as submitted does not address open or concealed carry directly but second amendment rights in general. It draws the line that restrictions that interfere with the exercise of those rights are null and void.

Some counties in addition to the resolution affirming our rights are proposing legislation at the county level that will conflict with state law. This will get interesting.

I applaud these counties for standing up to the state and Cook county in support of Illinois citizens right to bear arms in defense of self and others in places they have a lawful right to be.

So far these counties are Winnebago, Ogle and Boone.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you folks do set up an open carry event, you should see if any local gun shop would raffle off a gun to increase media exposure. Call it the "Richard Daley Gun Giveaway".

We did that in VA to aggravate that Bloomberg idiot. It worked!:celebrate

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

another county signed on to the pro-2A resolution. now 84 of 101 illinois counties have expressed support for the 2A.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
If you folks do set up an open carry event, you should see if any local gun shop would raffle off a gun to increase media exposure. Call it the "Richard Daley Gun Giveaway".

We did that in VA to aggravate that Bloomberg idiot. It worked!:celebrate

I love it! A gun giveaway at an open carry picnic!

You all might want to first run a simple open carry picnic though - the press will be flabergasted that folks can OC on foot in unincorporated areas of IL (where local ordiance does not prohibit on county owned land and facilities).

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

This is moving along just great. It is so organized, and, I am (still) looking for the day that I can travel to Chicago (like I did last week) with my (concealed) gun legally (smile).

While I was there, my sister's car was broken into by two hood figgas. We pulled up next to the car, and, they both broke camp. We called the cops......theyresponded in thirty-five (35) minutes (on the South Side near 111th in Halsted). The male cop asked me if we have these type of situationswhereI lived......I told him that we don't have them as often, and, that I can carry just like he was doing. Ialso told him that I was not carrying while I was in Chicago becauseI want to remain a law-abiding citizen.......he laughed. Just wanted to share this.

I will continue to follow the developments of this 2A Resolution.

2nd Amendment.........Use it..........Or, lose it!!:X