Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Talked with the sheriff

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    51

    Post imported post

    Haven't OC'd yet, but i thought i'd share what I've heard and talked about as far as OC

    I went to the police station a couple days after i arrived here. Upon entering I was greeted by the secretary, and after hello's I began my questions: how many LEO where in town, if they knew that OC was legal, etc. Got to the age questions, and thats when I stumped her and what I believe was the second in command there at the time.


    Then the sheriff came out of his office. I introduced myself, shook his hand, and told him I planned to OC. He said that since there were so many tourists, it was likely that I'll get "50 911 calls for a man with a gun", that they would have to send an office over to talk to me, and that I could get charged with either "disturbing the peace" or "causing a disturbance" (I cant remember which one he said or if it makes a difference.)


    When he asked why I wanted to OC he said something like "its stupid to just carry because you have the right." Now those weren't his exact words, but it was something to that point.


    Just wanted to share that story, I still plan to OC, but i think when i do it, I'll try it in the winter when the tourists aren't around so much

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Saint Paris, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    346

    Post imported post

    mdguy90 wrote:
    I could get charged with either "disturbing the peace" or "causing a disturbance"
    BS.

    Well, I guess you could be charged with either of those, but there's no way the charge would stick.

    mdguy90 wrote:
    When he asked why I wanted to OC he said something like "its stupid to just carry because you have the right."
    "A right unexercised is a right lost."



  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902

    Post imported post

    mdguy90 wrote:
    Haven't OC'd yet, but i thought i'd share what I've heard and talked about as far as OC

    I went to the police station a couple days after i arrived here. Upon entering I was greeted by the secretary, and after hello's I began my questions: how many LEO where in town, if they knew that OC was legal, etc. Got to the age questions, and thats when I stumped her and what I believe was the second in command there at the time.


    Then the sheriff came out of his office. I introduced myself, shook his hand, and told him I planned to OC. He said that since there were so many tourists, it was likely that I'll get "50 911 calls for a man with a gun", that they would have to send an office over to talk to me, and that I could get charged with either "disturbing the peace" or "causing a disturbance" (I cant remember which one he said or if it makes a difference.)


    When he asked why I wanted to OC he said something like "its stupid to just carry because you have the right." Now those weren't his exact words, but it was something to that point.


    Just wanted to share that story, I still plan to OC, but i think when i do it, I'll try it in the winter when the tourists aren't around so much

    How about you say that because the laundry list of places that are off-limits to concealed carry do not apply to open carry in Wyoming.

    That's why.




  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    180

    Post imported post

    Why do some of you guys insist on asking the police about open carry. You actually went to the police station ? Unbeleivable. Just exert your right, open carry if you want and defend that Right should it be necessary. If you are so afraid of being arrested for open carrying that a trip to feel out the local cops is deemednecessary, perhaps you would be better just sticking to concealed carry.



    The last thing open carry needs is guys asking law enforcement about it. Most police hate or strongly discourage open carry already. We don't need to give them the idea that we give a flip what they think about the exercise of this particularRIGHT or any other for that matter.

    Everyone :Please stop the trips to the police station, asking legal advice from the police, " feeling out how open carry is accepted etc. "

    If you are going to ask about open carry why not ask about exercising you religious faith, freedom of speech, whether the cops think you should read a newspaper in support of freedom of the press etc.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    51

    Post imported post

    no carry permit ? wrote:
    Why do some of you guys insist on asking the police about open carry. You actually went to the police station ?


    Here's the thing. While most of the information on OCDO is accurate, I am not going to go with just what I read online. The reason I went to the sheriff was to confirm the age limit for OC in wyoming. I'm 17, and if it wasn't legal for a minor to be carrying, It would hold better in court saying "the county sheriff confirmed that there was no age limit to carry" instead of "I read it online"

    If i was over 18, i would not have bothered, but since im not, I have to take a couple of precautions

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    561

    Post imported post

    mdguy90 wrote:
    Haven't OC'd yet, but i thought i'd share what I've heard and talked about as far as OC

    I went to the police station a couple days after i arrived here. Upon entering I was greeted by the secretary, and after hello's I began my questions: how many LEO where in town, if they knew that OC was legal, etc. Got to the age questions, and thats when I stumped her and what I believe was the second in command there at the time.


    Then the sheriff came out of his office. I introduced myself, shook his hand, and told him I planned to OC. He said that since there were so many tourists, it was likely that I'll get "50 911 calls for a man with a gun", that they would have to send an office over to talk to me, and that I could get charged with either "disturbing the peace" or "causing a disturbance" (I cant remember which one he said or if it makes a difference.)


    When he asked why I wanted to OC he said something like "its stupid to just carry because you have the right." Now those weren't his exact words, but it was something to that point.


    Just wanted to share that story, I still plan to OC, but i think when i do it, I'll try it in the winter when the tourists aren't around so much
    I also spoke to the Sheriff here in Prince William County, Virginia. I didn't go to his office, I met him at the government center when I was going in to cast my ballot at the last election for Sheriff. I was wearing my .45 openly but that's not what we talked about, nor did I ask for his permission. I DID tell him that I was voting for the other guy though. :P

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    561

    Post imported post

    mdguy90 wrote:
    no carry permit ? wrote:
    Why do some of you guys insist on asking the police about open carry. You actually went to the police station ?


    Here's the thing. While most of the information on OCDO is accurate, I am not going to go with just what I read online. The reason I went to the sheriff was to confirm the age limit for OC in wyoming. I'm 17, and if it wasn't legal for a minor to be carrying, It would hold better in court saying "the county sheriff confirmed that there was no age limit to carry" instead of "I read it online"

    If i was over 18, i would not have bothered, but since im not, I have to take a couple of precautions
    It's good to take precautions, and I'm not knocking you for that, but it's not a good idea to ask law enforcement officers what the law is. You're more likely to get their biased opinion as to what you should do than a concise statement of actual law. Do as much research as you can by yourself, and you might even think about consulting an attorney (although lawyers can be biased against gunowners too). Starting out here and asking pointed questions is a good thing too.

    Good luck in your open-carrying. Let us know how it goes.

  8. #8
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Alabama, USA
    Posts
    935

    Post imported post

    mdguy90 wrote:
    Here's the thing. While most of the information on OCDO is accurate, (1)I am not going to go with just what I read online. The reason I went to the sheriff was to confirm the age limit for OC in wyoming. I'm 17, and if it wasn't legal for a minor to be carrying, (2)It would hold better in court saying "the county sheriff confirmed that there was no age limit to carry" instead of "I read it online"

    If i was over 18, i would not have bothered, but since im not, I have to take a couple of precautions
    (1) You would be FAR better off to trust what you "read online" if you ask questions here at OCDO, then "back up" that information by reading the Wyoming stautes for yourself located here: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/titles/statutes.htm

    (2) "What the sheriff confirmed" will HOLD NO WEIGHT in court unless maybe you "get it in writting"...the judge would most likely laugh at a comment such as "the sheriff told me xyz"
    BY ALL MEANS, take precautions to verify "internet opinions"....just make sure your verifications are worth your efforts....ie. cite statutes and case law, not what ANY LEO states to as fact.....most LEO's give OPINION rather than FACT like "
    likely that I'll get "50 911 calls for a man with a gun" and "that I could get charged with "disturbing the peace"
    Ask yourself this....do these two comments have any real value in answering my question...other than to try to discourage me from exercising my rights under Wyoming law?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    51

    Post imported post

    Where in the statuates talk about OC? i only see CC

    also i noticed that in some sates, if there is a sign in a business that says no guns, people have to listen to it, but in other states, they can carry in there unless an employee tells them to leave.

    what's the condition of that rule here in wyoming?

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    561

    Post imported post

    mdguy90 wrote:
    Where in the statuates talk about OC? i only see CC
    There is nothing in the statutes about open carry. Laws do not allow or permit behavior, they prohibit or restrict it. Therefore, if something is not prohibited by law then it's not illegal to engage in that behavior.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Evanston, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    647

    Post imported post

    mdguy90 wrote:

    Then the sheriff came out of his office. I introduced myself, shook his hand, and told him I planned to OC. He said that since there were so many tourists, it was likely that I'll get "50 911 calls for a man with a gun", that they would have to send an office over to talk to me, and that I could get charged with either "disturbing the peace" or "causing a disturbance" (I cant remember which one he said or if it makes a difference.)


    When he asked why I wanted to OC he said something like "its stupid to just carry because you have the right." Now those weren't his exact words, but it was something to that point.


    Just wanted to share that story, I still plan to OC, but i think when i do it, I'll try it in the winter when the tourists aren't around so much
    What county was this in? It sounds to me like the Sherrif dos'nt like 911 calls. Hey, that's part of the job, so earn your pay!It's not "disturbing the peace" or "causing a disturbance" to be doing something that's LEGAL! The people who called in the "man with a gun" report should be charged if anyone is.

    As for the tourists, screw them! If they take offense to you practicing your 2nd ammendment rights that's too bad.This isYOUR HOME andMY HOME! They're just visiters.If they dont likethe way things are here in Wyomingthey can stay at THEIR HOME! I wont miss them.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    51

    Post imported post


    What county was this in?


    Jackson.

    So far I've done a bit of carrying, not much. just around my block so far, after I had gone to the range to try my handgun. I'm still not carrying yet until I get used to my gun, pick up some spare mags and stuff.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Evanston, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    647

    Post imported post

    mdguy90 wrote:
    What county was this in?


    Jackson.
    Oh, Teton county. The onlyblue county in Wyoming.

    This part pissed me off too;"When he asked why I wanted to OC he said something like "its stupid to just carry because you have the right."

    Since when is it "stupid" to exercise a god given right that's protected by the Constitution? Not exercising a right is what's stupid.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

  14. #14
    Regular Member MamaLiberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    884

    Post imported post

    While talking to police during or after an incident is NOT a good idea, it can be in this case. (See "You & The Police" by Boston T. Party)

    Forget it in counties full of socialists, of course.

    I work closely with the sheriff here in Weston county, giving conceal carry classes for those who insist on getting a "permit." He's not perfect, and he is a politician, but I can use that to the advantage of liberty in many ways.

    He has no problem at all with my carrying openly, all over town. I am carrying each time I go into his office and nobody blinks.

    Even our tourists keep their cool.

    Don't know about you folks, but I don't carry because of any "amendment" to a constitution or some abstract "right." I am the only one who is responsible for my life and my safety. I am prepared to do that job, and carry the tools I need to carry it out - period.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

    Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes, , USA
    Posts
    167

    Post imported post

    MamaLiberty wrote:
    <snip>
    Don't know about you folks, but I don't carry because of any "amendment" to a constitution or some abstract "right." I am the only one who is responsible for my life and my safety. I am prepared to do that job, and carry the tools I need to carry it out - period.
    Amen to that!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    460

    Post imported post

    This may be a shocker for you, but cops LIE. They do it all the time, and guess what? It's totally legal. They'll tell you things like if you don't consent to a search, your uncooperation can be used as porbable cause to get a warrant. They'll tell you that if you talk to them, they can "help you". All of this is of course, BS.

    If a cop is against OC (and quite a few are), then at best, they will tell you that while it's legal, it's not recommended, because you'll just end up having to explain yourself to cops all day long. At worst, they will swear that it's a felony.

    That's even IF they KNOW whether or not OC is legal. You'd be surprised how many don't. Cops receive a very rudementary set of training in law, and they don't have to take any kind of comprehensive exam (such as the BAR) to prove they know the law. They are familiar with the laws that they deal with on a daily basis, and that's usually it.

    Free legal advice is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it. If you are REALLY concerned about about knowing exactly what the laws regarding the carrying of firearms in a specific area are, then hire an attorney, or better yet, read the laws for yourself. As far as I know, they are posted online for every state, and not really difficult to find with a simple google search.

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    561

    Post imported post

    Slayer of Paper wrote:
    This may be a shocker for you, but cops LIE. (SNIP)
    +1 Good post

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    33

    Post imported post

    Ohio Patriot wrote:

    Well, I guess you could be charged with either of those, but there's no way the charge would stick.

    [/quote]

    The Constitution and anybody's interpretation of it are irrelevant to Jackson's contract municipal judge, who doesn't even have a oath of office in the county clerk's office, as Wyoming law requires.
    I will spare the thread the details, but email me for the whole story, if you want.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902

    Post imported post

    mdguy90 wrote:
    When he asked why I wanted to OC he said something like "its stupid to just carry because you have the right."

    Your response should have been. "Because Wyoming has a laundry list of places where I can not conceal carry; however, I can open carry anywhere in the state without restriction."

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    33

    Post imported post

    Things might be changing soon.
    Teton County Wyoming Sheriff Bob Zimmer is retiring.
    http://www.jacksonholenews.com/artic...E29E72B5C92DEF

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •