• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wrote a letter to HPD's police chief

Godscreation

imported post

I wrote to the Huntersville's Police chief, inquiring his knowledge of OC. If you hate how I wrote this letter, sorry, it's already sent. If you like it, feel free to copy it and put in the appropiate names for your town. I just sent it out, so when (or if) I get a response I will post his response here in this forum. Here is the letter to the chief of police.

Chief Potter:
My name is David; I am 22 years old and a resident of Huntersville. I am writing to you out of concern for my 4[sup]th[/sup] amendment and my 2[sup]nd[/sup] amendment rights. As you may or may not know, the state of North Carolina allows the open carry of a firearm without a license or permits as long as it is in plain view and not concealed. Additionally North Carolina statute14-409.40 says:

- Statewide uniformity of local regulation
(b) “Unless otherwise permitted by statute, no county or municipality, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, shall regulate in any manner the possession, ownership, storage, transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, or registration of firearms, firearms ammunition, components of firearms, dealers in firearms, or dealers in handgun components or parts.”

With this in mind, I have read stories from around the nation in the newspaper and have seen news footage of citizens who were unlawfully detained, searched, had their weapons and ID seized till they finally came to the conclusion that the citizens were not breaking any laws. The following links are just some examples of what I fear may happen to me as well as many other law abiding, honest citizens of Huntersville:

http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/articles/2008/06/24/local_news/19797629.txt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV1GlD1aOjE

We can see from the first article that these men were being peaceful with their families eating dinner when officers ordered them out of the restaurant, had them lean against the wall while their weapons were seized and their ID’s checked. The other link, the video, is one of Utah citizens who are complaining that they are being unreasonably stopped by law enforcement officers for simply exercising their 2[sup]nd [/sup] amendment rights. Carrying a firearm in the open is a right that is protected by the Constitution of the united States as well as our state Constitution of North Carolina.

Finally, I point to the US Supreme Court which ruled in the case of “Florida vs JL” that:

“An anonymous tip that a person is carrying a gun is not, without more, sufficient to justify a police officer's stop and frisk of that person.”

Simply receiving a call that someone has a gun is not enough probable cause warrant a stop and search of a person

Are your officers aware of this? If they see someone like me carrying a firearm in the open, are they trained to realize that I am not breaking any laws? If you receive a call of a man with a gun, are your officers and dispatchers trained to ask the right questions such as “are they threatening anyone?” “Are they waving it around to scare people?” “Is it in a holster?” Questions such as these as to inquire if the person with a gun is going armed to the terror of the people or simply exercising a right is essential for your officers to respond appropriately.

Thank you for reading this and I hope to hear from you soon, as do many other citizens in the surrounding area of Huntersville. We appreciate what you do and realize you have a large
responsibility. I know some of your officers personally and I can say that they truly do meet your department's slogan "Honor, Professionalism, Dedication".

Sincerely from a concerned citizen
David G.

HIMARSXD

Spring Lake (Harnett County), North Carolina, USA
imported post

Good letter. One would think that dispatchers would ask the "right" questions. Alot of citizens would interpret a "man with a gun" as a criminal due to thier lack of knowledge of the laws/Constitution. I open carry all the time and I like to educate citizens on legality of open carry.

HIMARSXD

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Out of curiosity, why send the letter? I'm assuming there has yet to be any problems in that area, right?

glock30

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Out of curiosity, why send the letter? I'm assuming there has yet to be any problems in that area, right?

I'd say its a good idea. It sends the message the we know our rights and LEO damn well better if they are going to detain us. They can learn the laws just like we have before or after the lawsuit.

I'd say send something similiar to all local PD's.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

glock30 wrote:
DreQo wrote:

I'd say its a good idea. It sends the message the we know our rights and LEO damn well better if they are going to detain us. They can learn the laws just like we have before or after the lawsuit.

I'd say send something similiar to all local PD's.
dreqo, just being pro active.

I wasn't saying it was a bad idea, that was just an honest question. I've kinda had the mindset of just leaving the subject be with law enforcement just in case sending a letter like that would throw them into a fit of trying to do everything they can to stop us. Also, I could easily see that sort of letter sparking a "don't tell me how to do my job" feeling with them. Lastly, I would like to assume that they already know the law, as it IS their job, lol.

So yeah, I've had a bad feeling about being pro-active in that manner, but apparently some of you guys think it's a good idea. Keep us posted on any responses and reactions you get. Maybe I'm wrong and it wont tick them off! lol :D

jameshasguns

imported post

Great letter! Check out my reply to 44Brent in Wyoming about his run in with the local LEOs. Your letter exemplifies the type of involvement we need to change the mentality of those who are not up to speed on gun rights issues. I can understand how some may not want to draw attention to themselves and that's ok, but those of uswhoCAN lead the way should get involved any way they can to achieve our common goals.

LPground

imported post

Any update on this? Did they ever respond? I just moved to Huntersville from Raleigh recently and the police remind me too much of the Cary PD,though I've only talked to a few of them so far so I'm not sure how they will/would react to OC. I've actually seen people's eyes bug out staring at my pistol the few times I've OC'd around here.

340mopar

imported post

Godscreation wrote:
Official response from Chief Potter: after about a week and I quote:

"Thanks for the information. I'll check it out if I need to."

I believe your letter asked a question, or two.

The fact that you asked for an answer, to me would indicate that the time where "He would need to" has come.

Perhaps new letter to a higher authority along with a copy of your original letter, and a copy of his response would be a good idea.

Being in Gov'ment, I will tell you what gets their goat.... when you type a letter likeyours put a CC at the bottom, and add an attorney’s name, or his supervisors name... nothing says you HAVE to send a copy to them, but they will think you have, and will be on their toes a bit more...