• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Open Carry Cookout on August 31st!

Attendance at Open Carry Cookout

• Yes I will be attending

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would like to attend but that date doesn't work

• I would like to attend but I fear my government

• Total voters

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Family Man wrote:
Please set up a new date. I haven't been online for awhile. I'll tell everyone I know. Those who OC and those who don't will support us.
Is it too cold for a cookout now in Wisconsin?

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Too bad he can't read his own writing: "GCO has tried writing letters and engaging in other educational efforts but has been ignored. Filing these lawsuits was the last ditch effort to resolve this situation."
Yep. We went on and solved it.:cool:

Maybe one day you will, too. It takes effort, risk, and money. Imagine that! :D If you are not willing to put in all three, then good luck!

How is your approach working for you so far?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Ya know, I am in agreement with Malum.

I don't see anything getting done either,

I am envious of the people in other states actually having enough members with the nads to make a statement by openly carrying.

What I do see in this forum is a select few people biting the heads off of others for wanting to get something done.

Yes, I am a little shy about OC'ing alone, but I would gladly be part of a group of 3 or more people that go out and do it together. We do not need hundreds at a private party on private land, We need small groups together openly carrying without drawing attention to ourselves unless we are wrongfully arrested and disarmed.

I am in Minocqua WI, anyone coming up for vacation? any other local members? Lets go do lunch while OC'ing as a group. Lets make the statements that need to be made and quit being so hush-hush about this issues on a little known website.

Grow a set!!

WCrawford

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Ya know, I am in agreement with Malum.

I don't see anything getting done either,

I am envious of the people in other states actually having enough members with the nads to make a statement by openly carrying.

What I do see in this forum is a select few people biting the heads off of others for wanting to get something done.

Yes, I am a little shy about OC'ing alone, but I would gladly be part of a group of 3 or more people that go out and do it together. We do not need hundreds at a private party on private land, We need small groups together openly carrying without drawing attention to ourselves unless we are wrongfully arrested and disarmed.

I am in Minocqua WI, anyone coming up for vacation? any other local members? Lets go do lunch while OC'ing as a group. Lets make the statements that need to be made and quit being so hush-hush about this issues on a little known website.

Grow a set!!
If I wasn't so far down south (in the land of the free:p) I'd go for a walk with you.

Seriously, though, is there anything in Minocqua that would attract a newlywed couple? My fiance and I will need a nice place to spend a few quiet nights (no wedding date is set as of yet). Making a few new OC friends along the way wouldn't hurt either.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

WCrawford wrote:
Seriously, though, is there anything in Minocqua that would attract a newlywed couple? My fiance and I will need a nice place to spend a few quiet nights (no wedding date is set as of yet). Making a few new OC friends along the way wouldn't hurt either.
Minocqua is lakes and woods. Cabins, fishing, biking, boating, skiing, tourists from Illinois. In winter it is snow.

WCrawford

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
WCrawford wrote:
Minocqua is lakes and woods. Cabins, fishing, biking, boating, skiing, tourists from Illinois. In winter it is snow.
That doesn't actually sound too bad (except for the Illinois tourists). My fiance loves that type of stuff.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Well the tourist congregate in town. Seclusion is easy in a cabin outside of town, so you can have solitude if you want.

I haven't been there for a few years, but there used to be a public (and free) shooting range just north of town. Near or just past the airport. (Actually north of Woodruff, which is pretty much the same as Minocqua. The towns blend into one more or less.) Maybe someone can fill us in if the range is still in operation.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I haven't been there for a few years, but there used to be a public (and free) shooting range just north of town. Near or just past the airport
I've shot there before! on the east side of the road right off of 51 north of town.

Minoqua is a great area. Nothing beats stepping out of the truck and smelling that alpine northwoods smell. My grandparents had a cabin on Mann Lake in Boulder Junction for 50 years or so. Just sold it a few months ago.

There is a GREAT place that rents cabins on Trout Lake. (north side of the lake) can't remember the name, but I've rented a cabin from them and I highly recommend it. (in the summer of course)

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Minocqua is a great place for weddings, I own and operate a catering business in the area and we cater several wedding each summer at several different resort and hotellocations.

Send me a PM with your e-mail addy and I'll forward the appropriate information to you to help you plan your wedding and your stay in this area

Shooting Ranges;

The Minocqua, Woodruff, Arbor Vitae area has "The Caywood Memorial" range on Hwy 51 a few miles north of Hwy 70-east, 100 Yds total range with stations for pistol, Shotgun, Rilfe, And Archery. it is a free range that relies on donations, So please add to the donation box so we can keep the shooting stations and backstops maintained properly. And please pick up you brass. (unless you shoot .45acp, 38/357, 9mm, .41 rem-mag, 30-06, or 22-250, then you can leave it for me to sort through and use)

A bit farther north you can go to the "Boulder Junction shooting club" range and shoot out to 300 Yds, and if you want trap or Skeet, a very affordable membership is offered for that too.

And the first weekend in August the Arbor Vitae Firemans picnic has a trap shoot competition as part of the festivities. along with daily shooting at the minocqua trap club just south of the island.

apjonas

imported post

I am not picking on the writers but providing a reminder to be very precise and accurate with what you say in public. Small errors can be fatal. For want of a nail....

Dale Lamminen
Spring Valley wrote:

"the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled that the prohibition of carrying a concealed weapon by other than a peace officer is a strict liability for which the state legislature has allowed no exceptions."

There is no concept ofstrict liability in the criminal law context and the WSC said no such thing.

I do not understand why 48 other states permit their citizens to carry concealed weapons but Wisconsin does not, only allowing former law enforcement to receive carry permits.

In reality many of the 48 are de facto prohibited and WI is cornered by LEOSA.

Unfortunately, many law enforcement agencies around the state are not aware of the legality of open carry and have arrested and convicted many individuals who have open-carried, citing disorderly conduct.

No, they know that it's legal but they don't like it. I am not aware of any convictions (yet), does someone else?

Gregory Plautz
Greenfield
wrote:

Recently, a man was arrested in West Milwaukee for open carry and awaits charges while his firearm is impounded as evidence. It's time that the legality of open carry in this state is officially recognized and Wisconsin citizens who have nothing to hide be allowed to openly carry firearms for protection.

It is officially recognized - by the WSC, by the Governor, by many sheriffs..... It's just that some want to jerk around the OC'er. And they will continue to do so unless and until somebody (maybe Mr. Krause) puts their nuts in a vise. I have suggested ways to do so on numerous occasions but for some reason people who have a opportunity to nail this issue down would rather play the LEO rope-a-dope game - a guaranteed loser.

ShaneTbolt

imported post

Does anyone in the south east Wisconsin area get together so we could get to know each other?Maybe the cook out failed because all we know about each other is through this forum. Well I'm new so I know no one and for all I know you regulars have breakfast all the time. All I'm saying is if we don't know each other, how do you expect to get a cook out going with a bunch of strangers. I would think getting together first so we couldintroduce ourselves, maybe do thisonce a month or twice a month. Dobrunch someplace and then maybego target shooting. I read some people calling Wisconsin "timid", well I do believe in strength in numbers. So first we should get to know each other in person and build our strength in numbers. Now I'm not talking about a parade or a march because you need permits and could easily get in trouble, and trouble is not what I'm interested in. Just my two cents from a newbe.

I'm new to this and I could definitely use some coaching or learn something from some of you veterans.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Hi ya, Shane.

Most of us regular here on OCDO know only what we see here. A couple of others and I have exchanged occasional e-mails.

If you're ever vacationing then please visit the Island. Find me and we'll have a beer or three. Almost anyone can direct you to me.

Doug Huffman
Washington Island
Wisconsin

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ShaneTbolt wrote:
Does anyone in the south east Wisconsin area get together so we could get to know each other?Maybe the cook out failed because all we know about each other is through this forum. Well I'm new so I know no one and for all I know you regulars have breakfast all the time. All I'm saying is if we don't know each other, how do you expect to get a cook out going with a bunch of strangers. I would think getting together first so we couldintroduce ourselves, maybe do thisonce a month or twice a month. Dobrunch someplace and then maybego target shooting. I read some people calling Wisconsin "timid", well I do believe in strength in numbers. So first we should get to know each other in person and build our strength in numbers. Now I'm not talking about a parade or a march because you need permits and could easily get in trouble, and trouble is not what I'm interested in. Just my two cents from a newbe.

I'm new to this and I could definitely use some coaching or learn something from some of you veterans.
Hey Shane-
I'm down in Racine, if you want to meet up and go shoot sometime let me know. I shoot the PPC league on Tuesday nights at Shooters if you want to spot by and put a name to a face. There are open lanes available at the same time if you wanted to shoot.

And I agree with you, getting to know some others, even a handshake and a hello might break the ice for some and get them to future events. I don't know how much you can learn from me, I'm a lurker on the board for the most part, but I'm up for networking. =)