• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Protecting Your Weapon When OCing

BlaineG

imported post

I don't OC...yet.... I think that there is a good chance that in a line or a crowd there is a chance that your piece could be taken away. Having said that, safety is between the ears and if you're 100% at a high state of alert, you should have no problems......Yet, and still........

gsx1138

imported post

Well it may or may not be good form but I like to rest my elbow on the back of my pistol even when I CC. It's a nice armrest and it makes sure that you have control of the weapon. Between my elbow, my retention holster, and my Karate it's unlikely that anyone is going to get my gun.

joeroket

imported post

I say use a holster you are comfortable with and be aware of your surroundings. To people who are concerned they make level 3 and 4 holsters to protect your pistol.

Ravenhawk

imported post

I don't like "retention" I cut the button strap off my uncle mikes holster .. I dont plan on doing any cartwheels or going on carnival rides.

I'm more worried needing to pull weapon out in a emergency and being slowed buttons, straps, velcro etc than some BG getting close enough to me to disarm me.

G27

imported post

Anyone that tries to take a weapon from someone in a crowded area pretty much has a death wish. First off, if it that crowded I am sure some other people would gang up on that guy in no time. Considering we have no "heroes" the chances of such person being able to operate the safety or figure out how to fire such gun are low unless they are firearm proficient, which most thugs aren't. And last but not least, I'd say a majority of full time open carriers do carry a BUG, so while he is still confronting you shooting him could be justifiable. Just like everything in life you have to weigh the risks associated with it and make an informed decision.

K_Bjornstad

imported post

I like having retention on my holster. I have a Blackhawk CQC Serpa for my XD and I have just as quick of a draw as I would without any form of retention. Many don't know how to work a Serpa (Those who don't know guns) and many people don't even pay enough attention to what your gun is in. I rest my arm on my gun as well. I also have a triple threat dual magainze carrier that I rest my other arm on. If anyone tries to grab my strong arm they will be really sorry.

joeroket

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
I think I will:D:cool: wrap the grip with Barb Wire. that should be a deterent.
Hmmm I wonder if you could use that as a defense to "Warrants alarm for the safety of others".

"Your honor I had barbed wire wrapped around my grip. I don't see how a reasonable person would believe I would grap it."

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

BlaineG wrote:
SNIP....there is a good chance that in a line or a crowd there is a chance that your piece could be taken away.....SNIP

In all of the threads that I've read here about people getting too close to OC'ers weapons, I still have not heard of one instance where some IDIOT actually accomplished a "gun grab." It's just not common enough for it to matter. It is a valid concern, and something to think about, and plan your counter for, when you finally do decide to OC. (Kinda like the myth that all .40 cal GLOCKs will somehow magically blow up whenever they want to.)

I'll open carry until these type of brazen acts of gun grabs become more apparent and common, or, until crime stops completely.

FYI: My contingency plan includes a concealed Kahr 9mm and seven well-placed and fast shots to the chest/throat/face of the idiot who takes my 1911 or GLOCK. I NEVER just OC. If I'm OCing, I'm always CCing as well.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BlaineG wrote:
I don't OC...yet.... I think that there is a good chance that in a line or a crowd there is a chance that your piece could be taken away. Having said that, safety is between the ears and if you're 100% at a high state of alert, you should have no problems......Yet, and still........

Hopefully, I can ease your concern.

I've stood in line and walked in thin crowds numerous times without so much as a hint that someone was interested in a gun-grab.

Actually, I suspect it doesn't rely on chance at all. I suspect it has to do with whether there is a felon near you who wants your gun,thinks he has the ability to get it, and thinks the circumstances are on his side--night, witnesses, proximity of police, whatever he thinks are good circumstances.

We have a lot of people OCing.No forum members have reported an actual gun-grab, outside of a couple playful friends and so forth. Thats an awful lot of hours OCing with no gun-grabs, so I think the chances of being next to a bad guy who is going to make a try for it are slim.

Just stay alert. You'll be able to tell if someone is taking a strange interest in you or the gun.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ravenhawk wrote:
I don't like "retention" I cut the button strap off my uncle mikes holster .. I dont plan on doing any cartwheels or going on carnival rides.

I'm more worried needing to pull weapon out in a emergency and being slowed buttons, straps, velcro etc than some BG getting close enough to me to disarm me.

Those Uncle Mike's strapsaren't made for quick release, that's for sure.

You might test it out running, rolling, bending, vigorously. Mine got relegated to car duty since it didn't hold the gun during vigorous movement without the strap.

I opted for leather with a thumb-break. After only a little bit of practice, I'm just as fast with the thumb break as I am without it. Not that I'll be setting any records either way. :)

3/325

imported post

I have yet to hear of a successful "grab" on any of the forums I visit. The only time I hear about even an attempted grab is after an altercation has begun, or when a uniformed officer is wrestling a suspect.

Sheeple are scared of guns and won't touch them.
Sheepdogs already know NOT to touch.
Criminals generally won't risk it because the price of failure is a high one.

Idiot friends and people with impaired judgement are generally the only ones who would try it as far as I can see.

joeroket

imported post

There was one guy quite awhile ago that had his grabbed by a security guard in a store. I can't find the thread as it was at least a year ago if not longer.

Derka

imported post

joeroket wrote:
There was one guy quite awhile ago that had his grabbed by a security guard in a store. I can't find the thread as it was at least a year ago if not longer.
WOW. I have to say that that must be one of the dumbest security guards out there. And let me tell ya, I've seen/tried to trainquite a few. Any recollections on where this happened?

Bear 45/70

imported post

Derka wrote:
joeroket wrote:
WOW. I have to say that that must be one of the dumbest security guards out there. And let me tell ya, I've seen/tried to trainquite a few. Any recollections on where this happened?
About on par for what I would expect for a
mallninja.gif

joeroket

imported post

Derka wrote:
joeroket wrote:
I want to say it was in Utah but I am not positive. My memory feels as old as Bear is.:p

Derka

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Derka wrote:
joeroket wrote:
About on par for what I would expect for a
mallninja.gif
LOL. You'd think they would understand that their $8/hr wages are not nearly compensation enough to make a gun grab. :banghead:

I just want to make sure I'm on the lookout if I ever happen to walk into this place. As has been posted here before, Attempted Theft of a Firearm is a Class C Felony. Not sure how you could let somebody get the jump on you like that either.

joeroket

imported post

Here is the thread I was talking about

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/2469-3.html

It is a little less than halfway down UTOC-45-44 posted;

While I was OCing at a Harmon Store in WVC the Security Guy walked up to me and yanked my 44 out of my holster, (as I was paying for my stuff and about to step out of the store), he pulled me into the Security Office and called the PD.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I do not worry about a gun grab too much, but I know it is possible,I also noticetend to walk with my weak arm in swing, and the strong arm tends to stay close to my weapon. I also carry a BUG for the reason of a gun grab. But as for standing in line and someone trying a gun grab they would have to be really crazy to try it in line, like say aBest Buy or a QFC. They may try to make a move on you as you walk to your car. By then you should see it coming.