• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Protecting Your Weapon When OCing

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

While in-line at stores and such, I'll always have a "nervous fidget" going on so that I can always continuously be scanning 360 degrees around me. This ends up turning into a little bit of a two-step and keeps my gun from staying stagnant as well. And moving targets are tougher to get! Never get "comfortable" or lazy while in public and OCing.

Ravenhawk

imported post

joeroket wrote:
While I was OCing at a Harmon Store in WVC the Security Guy walked up to me and yanked my 44 out of my holster, (as I was paying for my stuff and about to step out of the store), he pulled me into the Security Office and called the PD.
OMG ..

Security guard should be looking at criminal charges & OC'r needs some serious training/lessons or just grow a pair.

I like the 'ol saying - "Stay ready n you don't have to get ready".

3/325

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
While in-line at stores and such, I'll always have a "nervous fidget" going on so that I can always continuously be scanning 360 degrees around me. This ends up turning into a little bit of a two-step and keeps my gun from staying stagnant as well. And moving targets are tougher to get! Never get "comfortable" or lazy while in public and OCing.
I do that, too. I wouldn't describe it as a "nervous fidget" as I don't want to appear nervous or edgy while carrying a weapon. It's more of a casual, lazy shifting of weight from one foot to the other that involves some turning in place, like I'm bored and simply passing the time looking around.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

3/325 wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
I do that, too. I wouldn't describe it as a "nervous fidget" as I don't want to appear nervous or edgy while carrying a weapon. It's more of a casual, lazy shifting of weight from one foot to the other that involves some turning in place, like I'm bored and simply passing the time looking around.
I guess "nervous fidget" is about 300% faster than what I'm trying to imply here. Just keep moving and scanning all around you, is the point.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

All this worry about gun-grabs is silly. We're not cops who have to arrest people for a living.

Most criminals are not insane, nor exactly stupid. Criminals are usually lazy and almost always opportunistic. A bank robbery is easy because all you have to do is write a note and walk out the door. On the other hand, if you make a serious attempt at a gun grab and fail, you will be shot. A gun grab doesn't represent an easy $200, it represents a near guarantee of taking a bullet. Even a criminal will recognize that. They understand simple things like bullets. The kind of criminal insane enough attempt a gun grab is probably already about to start a massacre or something anyway, and with this type of person, I say you had better well be armed.

joeroket

imported post

marshaul wrote:
All this worry about gun-grabs is silly. We're not cops who have to arrest people for a living.

Most criminals are not insane, nor exactly stupid. Criminals are usually lazy and almost always opportunistic. A bank robbery is easy because all you have to do is write a note and walk out the door. On the other hand, if you make a serious attempt at a gun grab and fail, you will be shot. A gun grab doesn't represent an easy $200, it represents a near guarantee of taking a bullet. Even a criminal will recognize that. They understand simple things like bullets. The kind of criminal insane enough attempt a gun grab is probably already about to start a massacre or something anyway, and with this type of person, I say you had better well be armed.
And this is what the wright-rossi report found out.

BlaineG

imported post

SNIP: "All this worry about gun-grabs is silly"

Beg pardon, Sir......that's exactly when the worst happens. The first step of safety is in your head, and if you ain't taking it serious, then you're a screw up waiting to happen........Sorry for being terse, but show me something related to safety that's silly, dammit:banghead: If you're young and bulletproof, your forgiven....if you're almost 60 like me, then you should know better.:)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I didn't say that I, or anybody else on this board, doesn't take some steps to ensure we don't become victims of a gun-grab. We certainly do.

You don't know the first thing about my carry rig or practices, so don't presume to lecture me on my safety precautions.

In my view, this excessive worry is like going on to a car forum and asking why everyone isn't terrified of a car accident. The inevitable response will be, yes, it's a possibility, so we wear seatbelts, but it's such a small likelyhood that we still drive our cars and don't fuss over it too much. And car accidents are much more likely than gun grabs.

BlaineG

imported post

marshaul wrote:
I didn't say that I, or anybody else on this board, doesn't take some steps to ensure we don't become victims of a gun-grab. We certainly do.

You don't know the first thing about my carry rig or practices, so don't presume to lecture me on my safety precautions.

In my view, this excessive worry is like going on to a car forum and asking why everyone isn't terrified of a car accident. The inevitable response will be, yes, it's a possibility, so we wear seatbelts, but it's such a small likelyhood that we still drive our cars and don't fuss over it too much. And car accidents are much more likely than gun grabs.
Fine, so you're on record that worrying about gun grab is silly.....that's what I addressed in the first place....:lol:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When OC I was generally carrying in a SERPA level II, with the tension adjustment at the tightest I can have it and still draw smoothly, strong side between 2:30-3:30 depending with an FBI cant. I have recently modified my carry position and cant to now carrying with no cant at 0300 position. In lines/crowds, I can generally keep my sidearm grip gently squeezed between my torso and elbow while standing casually. I find it a pretty effective starting position from which to retain my sidearm.

Bear 45/70

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
When OC I was generally carrying in a SERPA level II, with the tension adjustment at the tightest I can have it and still draw smoothly, strong side between 2:30-3:30 depending with an FBI cant. I have recently modified my carry position and cant to now carrying with no cant at 0300 position. In lines/crowds, I can generally keep my sidearm grip gently squeezed between my torso and elbow while standing casually. I find it a pretty effective starting position from which to retain my sidearm.
The forward cant is safer as a guy behind you has major difficulty getting the gun out and you can see and deal with anyone in front of you.

Triple Tap

imported post

I agree, just a 16 degree angle will bind the weapon if someone where to try and take it from behind. Staight up and down will make it much easier to remove. I personally like my leather Galco with retention and canter. It did take a little practice to release the weapon with the flick of my middle finger, but this is just muscle memory and practice.

heresolong

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
The forward cant is safer as a guy behind you has major difficulty getting the gun out and you can see and deal with anyone in front of you.
Never thought about it that way but I do generally carry forward cant at 3:00. Seems more comfortable and easier to get out.

FogRider

imported post

3/325 wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
I don't know where I picked up on it (probably some Tom Clancy book) but something I started doing is paying attention to reflective surfaces. You can appear to be looking in a window while walking down the street, and get a good view of what's behind you, there is all sorts of shiny stuff at a convenience store, looking at the CCTV monitor doesn't look suspicious but allows you check your six without a nervous 180.