• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Joining the forum - OC in Pike Place Market?

xiphoris

imported post

Hi all,

After I went to a shooting range with a friend I became more aware of the issues surrounding firearms. I started thinking about rights and what it means to have them. I privately reached the conclusion that if I am worried about being taken down by police for exercising some right, I don't really have the right. At the same time, I see the 2nd Amendment as a vital part of the protections of liberty in our country -- a right that seems to be eroded over time as the War on Terror and War on Drugs progress.

Just as journalists in some authoritarian country are afraid of being thrown in jail for exercising their right to free speech, so too am I worried about being arrested or thrown in jail for exercising my right to bear arms. I decided I need to either (1) find out for sure if I have this right, and to what extent, and fight for the full extent or (2) consider myself a coward. I picked option #1 and am working to be a gun owner and to promote OC.
:celebrate

Anyway, the situation I considered leading up to all this is: what will happen if I open carry in Pike Place Market? Peacefully, non-threateningly, calmly perusing the produce and things for sale. Many coworkers told me I would be drawn upon, disarmed, and possibly arrested.

Thoughts? What's the right way to open carry in such a place? What is likely to happen?

just_a_car

imported post

It has been done by many people on these forums, including myself, without incident and I believe one person even had a nice conversation with SPD, but his sidearm never came up.

Now, having been there on a crowded weekend, I would not suggest going there without a very good retention holster and have your elbow on your sidearm most of the time. It was literally shoulder-to-shoulder and situations like that are just asking for a gun-grab in a non-secure holster and/or unaware OC'er. Not saying you're unaware of your surroundings, as I don't know you, but I certainly can't (in good conscience) recommend Pike Place Market to a budding OC'er.

xiphoris

imported post

You are right that I don't know much about OC (third person) safety. That is something I have to learn a lot more about before I go to a crowded place. Thanks for the advice!

I am glad to hear that your rights have been respected and will relay the information onto other dubious gun owners I know. Perhaps when I am more knowledgable I will attempt it myself.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I started OCing Ireally wanted to OC in Pike Place Market. But when I was in the area I was too tired to take that trip on that side of Seattle to go there. If I was home I would accompany you there.

amlevin

imported post

xiphoris wrote:
what will happen if I open carry in Pike Place Market?
Probably scare off all the "Street People" that are selling their little braided bracelets as well as the ultra-liberals looking for the perfect zuchinni for dinner.

just_a_car

imported post

amlevin wrote:
xiphoris wrote:
what will happen if I open carry in Pike Place Market?
Probably scare off all the "Street People" that are selling their little braided bracelets as well as the ultra-liberals looking for the perfect zuchinni for dinner.
That implies they're aware enough of their surroundings to notice.