Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i wonder if the people of Warren agree with the massive waste of police resources

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

Post imported post

from the macomb daily article:
    ----
    Warren Police Commissioner William
    Dwyer said Wednesday his department is aware of Saturday's picnic. "We don't believe there are going to be any problems. We feel they certainly have a right to do what they're doing," he said. Still, Warren police plan to monitor it. Dispatchers have been advised about the picnic and how to handle any 911 calls. Dwyer refused to divulge details of an operational order he has issued for officers Saturday. "Hopefully it will be a peaceful picnic," he added.
    ----
    hehe, no wonder he didn't "
    divulge details of an operational order". he probably didn't want to be laughed out of town. can you believe the waste of city resources for probably the most peaceful picnic in warren history?
    did anyone feel like the 10 laps that cruiser ran in the grass around our group was a passive aggressive threat? dare i say harassment?
    several of us witnessed the cruiser whip around the backside of the restroom building awfully close to those kids who were waiting in line to use the facilities. then they tore off across the lawn and left. gotta wonder what that was all about...

edit: i sure wish i could go back and fix the title of this post where i spelled "people" wrong
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Post imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
    from the macomb daily article:
    ----
    Warren Police Commissioner William
    Dwyer said Wednesday his department is aware of Saturday's picnic. "We don't believe there are going to be any problems. We feel they certainly have a right to do what they're doing," he said. Still, Warren police plan to monitor it. Dispatchers have been advised about the picnic and how to handle any 911 calls. Dwyer refused to divulge details of an operational order he has issued for officers Saturday. "Hopefully it will be a peaceful picnic," he added.
    ----
    hehe, no wonder he didn't "
    divulge details of an operational order". he probably didn't want to be laughed out of town. can you believe the waste of city resources for probably the most peaceful picnic in warren history?
    did anyone feel like the 10 laps that cruiser ran in the grass around our group was a passive aggressive threat? dare i say harassment?
    several of us witnessed the cruiser whip around the backside of the restroom building awfully close to those kids who were waiting in line to use the facilities. then they tore off across the lawn and left. gotta wonder what that was all about...

edit: i sure wish i could go back and fix the title of this post where i spelled people wrong
    Yes i totally feel it was over the top. I think one of the biggest wastes of resources was having 12 officers detain West_Nile. The funniest part about his detainment was that the police themselves said it was a waste of resources. That they could have spent there time elsewhere. Too funny.

Post imported post

yeah, this would have been great.

cops: "we should be somewhere else fighting crime"
    dog-walking-gun-dude: "then why aren't you?"

Post imported post

Sorry we couldn't attend the picnic, we were to tired. I bet the event was priceless.

(Did somebody bring Coffee & Donuts?)

So I hear that the police were making sure at all of you were protected, aw! isn't that sweet and thoughtful of them.

See they brought there Party bus along:celebrate

I also understand, that it sort of felt like cowboys and the Indians surrounding the wagon

Post imported post

no donuts, we were hoping to AVOID attracting the police

Post imported post

I truly wish I would have had a video camera. I would have loved to send live action video to the Warren council and ask if this is the best use of their resouces! I was also wondering, do you think the chief authorized any overtime for this? Perhaps listed in the"misc" collum for community awareness and support.

Post imported post

I'm pretty sure that they must have paid some officers overtime for this, with at least one cruiser watching us almost the entire time, and then the two undercover cars with the binoculars, not to mention the captain and the officers manning the mobile command post, I find it highly unlikely that they pulled all of those officers off the road, as I assume that would be a good chunk of the number of officers Warren has on duty at any given time.

Post imported post

EDIT: double tap, oops

Post imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
    I also understand, that it sort of felt like cowboys and the Indians surrounding the wagon
    To combat that feeling, perhaps at these picnics small groups of us, if we feel like it, should go forshort walks around the park/neighborhoodcontinuing totalkandsocialize.

I think at the next one, I'll ask if anyone feels like going for a short "walkabout", as they say down under.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Now that's an idea! At any given time maybe the majority of the group could just up and take off in different directions like cockroaches when the kitchen light comes on! Think they would have enough resources to "protect" all of us at the same time.:what:

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    Now that's an idea! At any given time maybe the majority of the group could just up and take off in different directions like cockroaches when the kitchen light comes on! Think they would have enough resources to "protect" all of us at the same time.:what:
    I love it...

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Here's the newspaper article link: http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/0..._local03.shtml

Okay, I'm not from Michigan, but you folks must have giggled yourselves silly over the police presence.

Agreed, the next picnic calls for people wandering off without supervision. Oh, and if the Warren Police Department has preprinted complaint forms, stock up on them. Then, the next time they detain someone for perfectly legal behavior, file a complaint.Look upTerry v. Ohio and Florida v. J.L. for applicability.

Go for it!

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    Now that's an idea! At any given time maybe the majority of the group could just up and take off in different directions like cockroaches when the kitchen light comes on!

Certainly.

At any given time, any random number of us, in any randomnumber of small or large groups,mayelect to stretch our legs a bit.

Just be sure someone brings the bell or triangle and rings it so no one misses chow-time!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Statkowski wrote:
    Here's the newspaper article link: http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/0..._local03.shtml

Okay, I'm not from Michigan, but you folks must have giggled yourselves silly over the police presence.

Agreed, the next picnic calls for people wandering off without supervision. Oh, and if the Warren Police Department has preprinted complaint forms, stock up on them. Then, the next time they detain someone for perfectly legal behavior, file a complaint.Look upTerry v. Ohio and Florida v. J.L. for applicability.

Go for it!
    Thank you SO much for posting that. I was just about to go check their site.

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    WARCHILD wrote:
    Now that's an idea! At any given time maybe the majority of the group could just up and take off in different directions like cockroaches when the kitchen light comes on!

Certainly.

At any given time, any random number of us, in any randomnumber of small or large groups,mayelect to stretch our legs a bit.

Just be sure someone brings the bell or triangle and rings it so no one misses chow-time!

Not needed, take a walk AFTER we eat. Just to help our digestion, don't ya know!

Post imported post

It was nice to finally meet some of you today, and I'm sorry I didn't get around to everyone there. The turnout was great (as was the apple log), and it was a great day for a picnic.

The police presence was "cartoonish", but that one time when that cruiser "buzzed" the restroom was a bit much. Fortunately no one was hurt at that time.

Special thanks to hamaneggs & warlockmatized for their involvement in this. Difinitley one of the best we've had so far, although I think there should difinitely be more in Warren.

Post imported post

ghostrider wrote:
    . . . I think there should difinitely be more in Warren.
    There is talk of a shopping/dining excursionin downtown Warrenin the "OC in Warren . . ." thread.

Perhaps an "OC in Warren II" thread is in order?

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    ghostrider wrote:
    . . . I think there should difinitely be more in Warren.
    There is talk of a shopping/dining excursionin downtown Warrenin the "OC in Warren . . ." thread.

Perhaps an "OC in Warren II" thread is in order?
    I am thinking......ASAP?

Post imported post

hey what are you doing?eating a f@#$#@# hot dog.oh o.k i will go back over there and watch you all some more.:what:

Post imported post

Today's events go right along with my experiences with them in the past. Best I can tell, they are @#$%s, Dirty @#$%s who have no business being police officers. From the top down, they seem like trash.

In my opinion, the best bet for the cause of open carry is further picnics in warren, but with a really good video camera set up. They need to be embarassed nation wide on youtube. Repeatedly, if need be.

That Dwyer guy said they would have been remiss not to investigate that call. Being as they are obviously extremely aware of the law given the day's events, I think that the person who got detained would be remiss not to sue them for a civil rights violation. It's discrimination, in a pure form.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Easy killer...

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    Easy killer...
    Maybe I'm over reacting since I wasn't there, but given the facts as stated, and given my anger at police abuse from being a victim of it in the past, I like swift action on out of line cops.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

The cops that we talked to were VERY nice and polite.

I know this isn't going to sound good but.... "they were just following orders" by being there.

Much more "silly" rather than "harassment".

EXCEPT, when the cop driving on the grass endangered several people and kids by speeding past us on the grass.

None of us appreciated that.

Post imported post

I think the massive presence is worthy of a complaint, silly or not. It was wasteful, and some moron had to order it. The dangerous driving is hugely worthy of a complaint, and as I said, I think the unlawful detention deserves a lawsuit. I am, of course, happy to hear opposing view points. I'm curious about what happened more than anything, because obviously I'm not real clear on it.

Post imported post

I am a resident of Warren, a CPL holder (carry everyday), and sorry that I did not hear about the picnic sooner or I would have been there. I was wonder if anyone knows if this made a positive impact in Warren and the surrounding communities, as far as, LEO's becoming more aware that the average citizen can openly carry? I would like to open carry more (it sure is easier than trying to conceal all the time) but I just don't know that I want to deal with the hastle of people panicing andhaving the cops called on me just for going to Kroger for a gallon of milk. Thank for the insight!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast