• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i wonder if the people of Warren agree with the massive waste of police resources

Michigander

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Easy killer...
Maybe I'm over reacting since I wasn't there, but given the facts as stated, and given my anger at police abuse from being a victim of it in the past, I like swift action on out of line cops.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

The cops that we talked to were VERY nice and polite.

I know this isn't going to sound good but.... "they were just following orders" by being there.

Much more "silly" rather than "harassment".

EXCEPT, when the cop driving on the grass endangered several people and kids by speeding past us on the grass.

None of us appreciated that.

Michigander

imported post

I think the massive presence is worthy of a complaint, silly or not. It was wasteful, and some moron had to order it. The dangerous driving is hugely worthy of a complaint, and as I said, I think the unlawful detention deserves a lawsuit. I am, of course, happy to hear opposing view points. I'm curious about what happened more than anything, because obviously I'm not real clear on it.

smitty

imported post

I am a resident of Warren, a CPL holder (carry everyday), and sorry that I did not hear about the picnic sooner or I would have been there. I was wonder if anyone knows if this made a positive impact in Warren and the surrounding communities, as far as, LEO's becoming more aware that the average citizen can openly carry? I would like to open carry more (it sure is easier than trying to conceal all the time) but I just don't know that I want to deal with the hastle of people panicing andhaving the cops called on me just for going to Kroger for a gallon of milk. Thank for the insight!

warlockmatized

imported post

smitty wrote:
I am a resident of Warren, a CPL holder (carry everyday), and sorry that I did not hear about the picnic sooner or I would have been there. I was wonder if anyone knows if this made a positive impact in Warren and the surrounding communities, as far as, LEO's becoming more aware that the average citizen can openly carry? I would like to open carry more (it sure is easier than trying to conceal all the time) but I just don't know that I want to deal with the hastle of people panicing andhaving the cops called on me just for going to Kroger for a gallon of milk. Thank for the insight!
First i would like to say "Welcome" to OCDO. Second take a look at the info contained here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html It will answer a lot of the questions some one new might have in regards to lawful open carry. Third i would like to think we had a positive educational impact on the community as well as law enforcement. There was even talk today of allowing some of us OCDO members to be in on some of the upcoming training updates. Now whether or not it happens only time will tell. I personally feel with the exception of one rogue cop and his out of place cruiser, mission accomplished.

Michigander

imported post

Smitty, I would say it's absolutely worth it. Through this forum, open carry in Michigan has grown leaps and bounds. It kind of started off, at least as the history of this forum, with a meeting of 3 people that was made nothing of. Since then, Michigan OCDO has been all over the news, the membership has grown exponentially, and thousands of people have been made aware of the cause. Probably tens of thousands now. Every single person who OC's helps a whole lot more than you might think. People who stare at you, cops who may be called on you (especially in oakland county), people who freak out, they all lead to the truth being spread.

Open carry is not for everyone, and no one here will discourage you from CCing. Whether you want to do it sometimes when you're in a couragous mood, or you want to purely OC, or if you only want to CC, all are good options. Just stay armed and stay safe. :)

pamopar

imported post

I am new to the forums here. I am sorry I didn't find out about the picnic untill tonight. I would have been there with my family and friends. I have a CPL but would like the option to carry openly without being harrassed. My wife works at Beaumont Hospital and educates the LEO's that come there about the legality of Open Carry in this state. It is suprising to her all of the officers that don't know it is Legal. I am very active in the shooting community and a member of the Livingston Gun Club and wil definitley make any new gatherings

Michigander

imported post

Welcome friend, and tell your wife I said thanks.:celebrate

As I said, we have had an exceedingly far reaching impact, and we're still making lots of progress. It's a smaller world than you would think, and the actions of everyone here can and have made all kinds of progress.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smitty wrote:
Michigander wrote:
....cops who may be called on you (especially in oakland county),...
It sounds like there is perhaps an opportunity for an Oakland County picnic before the yearis over! ;)
I would make it out for an Oakland or Livingston picnic...

I'd feel much better about OCing when I have the legal attack dogs/fellow OCers around me.

That was quite the article in the Macomb Daily, though. It seemed fairly sympathetic to the cause, although it let the police off with far too easy an excuse for their overreactions.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Better than a complaint, how about a weekly or maybe every other week, picnic. And make sure you tell the Police, so they can provide "protection." That should really kill their budget. ;)

bobcat

imported post

Congratulations guys and gals on peaceable assembly and a SUCCESSFUL OC picnic! :celebrate

1) While it is certainly a bit aggravating that the LEO's showed up in-force to 'protect' you (now THAT is a hoot and a certain fib!) you all did WIN the battle. You KNOW they taped you all for file purposes. This is commonly done with 'groups'.

2) Did anyone videotape the event? With that many people around, I would think it would be pretty easy to have at least two folks on videocams at all times. This would improve the likelihood of protecting participants from unwanted actions on anyone else's part, including LEO's. (That's not a bash)

3) I would suggest filing a complaint on the LEO's that ran through the grass and buzzed the restrooms. That's just intimidation and passive aggressive behavior that they would use with gangs, hoodlums and cattle. I think the point can likely be made that those actions served no good purpose and were detrimental to safety. At best, it served to degrade relationships rather than bolster them. Endangering children (as was suggested) with such activity is totally unacceptable. I present this only as a suggestion, as I was not a witness to the activity and only the participants know for sure how to handle it.

4) Doing an FOIA on the event and the individual stopped while on the way is VERY VERY appropriate. This would give you a certain idea what the agenda of the Chief is. There were certainly reports filled out from many officers on the entire picnic. The reports would be most revealing.

5) The more frequently you meet and 'nothing' happens, the less interested the cops will be in your activities. As BGA suggests, every couple of weeks would really wear on them and eventually tire them out. They can't possibly support that kind of manpower that frequently. The $$ will put a stop to that. The goal could be seeing a cruiser or two circling/passing the park area at a frequency appropriate for a peaceful group of folks that size and maybe occasionally stopping and conversing.

6) As well, the more frequently you meet, the more the LEO's will realize there is absolutely NOTHING they can do to stop you, which I would suggest, at this point, they would love to do, regardless of what they say. The frequency of picnics alone will provide an 'education' to the cops and the public. Eventually, they'll realize we are all on the same side. Well, most of them anyway.

7) Beat them to the punch on the next picnic and SPECIFICALLY and PUBLICLY invite the Chief. As well, get to know a few of the LEO's and offer them some eats (they'll likely decline, but that's OK). At the least, offer them drinks in factory sealed containers (no possible tampering from their viewpoint). In effect, 'kill'em with KINDNESS'. You may actually win a few over?

Awesome job, you are all to be congratulated on your efforts at excercising your rights and being peacemakers. You help more than Warren and MORE than Michigan! Thank YOU!

Just my .02 :)

maeqFREEDOMfree

imported post

It was a great time. The LEO's were a hoot haha! I can't believe that they said they were there to protect us.... the 30+ armed citizens.... i think we're good in the protection department. what a lame excuse to show up and try to flex some muscle haha

Great picnic and i was glad i was able to meet some of you face to face! can't wait to see you all at another one!

Tucker6900

imported post

I wasnt there, I was sweating my arse off in Memphis. But it sounds to me like the officer that pulled the flyby was doing so to see if they could get a rise out of you. Great job on the picnic everyone.

ruger45

imported post

they was not baby sitting the birthday party at all so they was their just for us only.is this a form of herrasment?in my eyes it is but i could be wrong.

warlockmatized

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
they was not baby sitting the birthday party at all so they was their just for us only.is this a form of herrasment?in my eyes it is but i could be wrong.
Other than being "buzzed" by the one lone cruiser, which many have stated they feel he was leaving on a call, i felt zero harrassment by them.

I feel they went over the top with such a display of things like the mobile command unit, an utter waste of taxpayers money IMO. I feel having 12 officers respond to Conrad walking to the park with his dog was a bit much also. But "harrassment" not one bit.

I locked and loaded 10 feet from their command unit and never heard a word, or received a disturbing look. If any complaint or inquiry need be made, it should be by the residents of Warren. Demanding to know what it cost "them" for the overkill of police presence that day.

I personally feel Warren was a success. As of 'this" post, I am putting it behind me, and am looking forward to Flint. See you all there.

WARCHILD

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
ruger45 wrote:
Other than being "buzzed" by the one lone cruiser, which many have stated they feel he was leaving on a call, i felt zero harrassment by them.

I feel they went over the top with such a display of things like the mobile command unit, an utter waste of taxpayers money IMO. I feel having 12 officers respond to Conrad walking to the park with his dog was a bit much also. But "harrassment" not one bit.

I locked and loaded 10 feet from their command unit and never heard a word, or received a disturbing look. If any complaint or inquiry need be made, it should be by the residents of Warren. Demanding to know what it cost "them" for the overkill of police presence that day.

I personally feel Warren was a success. As of 'this" post, I am putting it behind me, and am looking forward to Flint. See you all there.

+1 I feel the same. A great success and educational. Let's hope for the same reaction at the rest of any outings we have.