• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i wonder if the people of Warren agree with the massive waste of police resources

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

from the macomb daily article:
----
Warren Police Commissioner William
Dwyer said Wednesday his department is aware of Saturday's picnic. "We don't believe there are going to be any problems. We feel they certainly have a right to do what they're doing," he said. Still, Warren police plan to monitor it. Dispatchers have been advised about the picnic and how to handle any 911 calls. Dwyer refused to divulge details of an operational order he has issued for officers Saturday. "Hopefully it will be a peaceful picnic," he added.
----
hehe, no wonder he didn't "
divulge details of an operational order". he probably didn't want to be laughed out of town. can you believe the waste of city resources for probably the most peaceful picnic in warren history?
did anyone feel like the 10 laps that cruiser ran in the grass around our group was a passive aggressive threat? dare i say harassment?
several of us witnessed the cruiser whip around the backside of the restroom building awfully close to those kids who were waiting in line to use the facilities. then they tore off across the lawn and left. gotta wonder what that was all about...

edit: i sure wish i could go back and fix the title of this post where i spelled "people" wrong:banghead:

warlockmatized

imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
from the macomb daily article:
----
Warren Police Commissioner William
Dwyer said Wednesday his department is aware of Saturday's picnic. "We don't believe there are going to be any problems. We feel they certainly have a right to do what they're doing," he said. Still, Warren police plan to monitor it. Dispatchers have been advised about the picnic and how to handle any 911 calls. Dwyer refused to divulge details of an operational order he has issued for officers Saturday. "Hopefully it will be a peaceful picnic," he added.
----
hehe, no wonder he didn't "
divulge details of an operational order". he probably didn't want to be laughed out of town. can you believe the waste of city resources for probably the most peaceful picnic in warren history?
did anyone feel like the 10 laps that cruiser ran in the grass around our group was a passive aggressive threat? dare i say harassment?
several of us witnessed the cruiser whip around the backside of the restroom building awfully close to those kids who were waiting in line to use the facilities. then they tore off across the lawn and left. gotta wonder what that was all about...

edit: i sure wish i could go back and fix the title of this post where i spelled people wrong:banghead:
Yes i totally feel it was over the top. I think one of the biggest wastes of resources was having 12 officers detain West_Nile. The funniest part about his detainment was that the police themselves said it was a waste of resources. That they could have spent there time elsewhere. Too funny.

mastiff69

imported post

Sorry we couldn't attend the picnic, we were to tired. I bet the event was priceless.

(Did somebody bring Coffee & Donuts?)

So I hear that the police were making sure at all of you were protected, aw! isn't that sweet and thoughtful of them.:D

See they brought there Party bus along:celebrate

I also understand, that it sort of felt like cowboys and the Indians surrounding the wagon:lol:

WARCHILD

imported post

I truly wish I would have had a video camera. I would have loved to send live action video to the Warren council and ask if this is the best use of their resouces! I was also wondering, do you think the chief authorized any overtime for this? Perhaps listed in the"misc" collum for community awareness and support. :dude:

cmdio

imported post

I'm pretty sure that they must have paid some officers overtime for this, with at least one cruiser watching us almost the entire time, and then the two undercover cars with the binoculars, not to mention the captain and the officers manning the mobile command post, I find it highly unlikely that they pulled all of those officers off the road, as I assume that would be a good chunk of the number of officers Warren has on duty at any given time.

DanM

imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
I also understand, that it sort of felt like cowboys and the Indians surrounding the wagon

To combat that feeling, perhaps at these picnics small groups of us, if we feel like it, should go forshort walks around the park/neighborhoodcontinuing totalkandsocialize.

I think at the next one, I'll ask if anyone feels like going for a short "walkabout", as they say down under. :)

WARCHILD

imported post

Now that's an idea! At any given time maybe the majority of the group could just up and take off in different directions like cockroaches when the kitchen light comes on! Think they would have enough resources to "protect" all of us at the same time.:what:

warlockmatized

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Now that's an idea! At any given time maybe the majority of the group could just up and take off in different directions like cockroaches when the kitchen light comes on! Think they would have enough resources to "protect" all of us at the same time.:what:
I love it...

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Here's the newspaper article link: http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/081708/loc_local03.shtml

Okay, I'm not from Michigan, but you folks must have giggled yourselves silly over the police presence.

Agreed, the next picnic calls for people wandering off without supervision. Oh, and if the Warren Police Department has preprinted complaint forms, stock up on them. Then, the next time they detain someone for perfectly legal behavior, file a complaint.Look upTerry v. Ohio and Florida v. J.L. for applicability.

Go for it!

DanM

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Now that's an idea! At any given time maybe the majority of the group could just up and take off in different directions like cockroaches when the kitchen light comes on!

Certainly.

At any given time, any random number of us, in any randomnumber of small or large groups,mayelect to stretch our legs a bit.

Just be sure someone brings the bell or triangle and rings it so no one misses chow-time! :)

warlockmatized

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Here's the newspaper article link: http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/081708/loc_local03.shtml

Okay, I'm not from Michigan, but you folks must have giggled yourselves silly over the police presence.

Agreed, the next picnic calls for people wandering off without supervision. Oh, and if the Warren Police Department has preprinted complaint forms, stock up on them. Then, the next time they detain someone for perfectly legal behavior, file a complaint.Look upTerry v. Ohio and Florida v. J.L. for applicability.

Go for it!
Thank you SO much for posting that. I was just about to go check their site.

WARCHILD

imported post

DanM wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
Now that's an idea! At any given time maybe the majority of the group could just up and take off in different directions like cockroaches when the kitchen light comes on!

Certainly.

At any given time, any random number of us, in any randomnumber of small or large groups,mayelect to stretch our legs a bit.

Just be sure someone brings the bell or triangle and rings it so no one misses chow-time! :)

Not needed, take a walk AFTER we eat. Just to help our digestion, don't ya know!

ghostrider

imported post

It was nice to finally meet some of you today, and I'm sorry I didn't get around to everyone there. The turnout was great (as was the apple log), and it was a great day for a picnic.

The police presence was "cartoonish", but that one time when that cruiser "buzzed" the restroom was a bit much. Fortunately no one was hurt at that time.

Special thanks to hamaneggs & warlockmatized for their involvement in this. Difinitley one of the best we've had so far, although I think there should difinitely be more in Warren.

DanM

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
. . . I think there should difinitely be more in Warren.

There is talk of a shopping/dining excursionin downtown Warrenin the "OC in Warren . . ." thread.

Perhaps an "OC in Warren II" thread is in order? :)

Michigander

imported post

Today's events go right along with my experiences with them in the past. Best I can tell, they are @#$%s, Dirty @#$%s who have no business being police officers. From the top down, they seem like trash.

In my opinion, the best bet for the cause of open carry is further picnics in warren, but with a really good video camera set up. They need to be embarassed nation wide on youtube. Repeatedly, if need be.

That Dwyer guy said they would have been remiss not to investigate that call. Being as they are obviously extremely aware of the law given the day's events, I think that the person who got detained would be remiss not to sue them for a civil rights violation. It's discrimination, in a pure form.