• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How influential is SCOTUS?

Drake

imported post

I am watching TV and my friend is on the PC looking at sex-offender list in the area (don't know why) and said, "I thought sodomy was legal now". Reading about the SCOTUS decision years ago.... I ensured him it was perfectly legal. Then he showed me this link which clearly has an individual convicted of sodomy but no other crimes. Surprisingly, the conviction was in 2005 (and his photo been updated--- meaning he is a sex offender).

Naturally, I look up the code he was convicted of:

§ 18.2-361. Crimes against nature; penalty. A. If any person carnally knows in any manner any brute animal, or carnally knows any male or female person by the anus or by or with the mouth, or voluntarily submits to such carnal knowledge, he or she shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony, except as provided in subsection B. B. Any person who performs or causes to be performed cunnilingus, fellatio, anilingus or anal intercourse upon or by his daughter or granddaughter, son or grandson, brother or sister, or father or mother is guilty of a Class 5 felony. However, if a parent or grandparent commits any such act with his child or grandchild and such child or grandchild is at least 13 but less than 18 years of age at the time of the offense, such parent or grandparent is guilty of a Class 3 felony. C. For the purposes of this section, parent includes step-parent, grandparent includes step-grandparent, child includes step-child and grandchild includes step-grandchild. (Code 1950, § 18.1-212; 1960, c. 358; 1968, c. 427; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1977, c. 285; 1981, c. 397; 1993, c. 450; 2005, c. 185.)
This surprises me further because doesn't the (2005) part referred to when the code was last "updated". Why would Virginia update the code when section A is clearly against SCOTUS decision. Why would ANY Virginia prosecutor even bother to fight "sodomy" when its consensual? Here is the link to his profile http://sex-offender.vsp.virginia.gov/sor/servlet/SOR?id=X000098215

I honestly hope I am missing something here. But the fact that code 18.2-67.1 deals with forceful sodomy only reinforces my belief that I am sadly correct. I am a bit disturb that the Virginia Senate would update a law that is null and void by SCOTUS. I know this isn't gun related --- but any wrongs on our civil liberties is of concern on this forum, whether its the 2nd amendment or any of the others.

I tried seeing if I could find another charge of Sodomy but in the 10 minutes I tried, nothing could come up.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

DDrake wrote:
I know this isn't gun related --- but any wrongs on our civil liberties is of concern on this forum, whether its the 2nd amendment or any of the others.
It may not be gun related but icould well involve OPEN CARRY!:shock::uhoh::what:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

DDrake wrote:
I am watching TV and my friend is on the PC looking at sex-offender list in the area (don't know why) and said, "I thought sodomy was legal now". Reading about the SCOTUS decision years ago.... I ensured him it was perfectly legal. Then he showed me this link which clearly has an individual convicted of sodomy but no other crimes. Surprisingly, the conviction was in 2005 (and his photo been updated--- meaning he is a sex offender).

§ 18.2-361. Crimes against nature; penalty. A. If any person carnally knows in any manner any brute animal, or carnally knows any male or female person by the anus or by or with the mouth, or voluntarily submits to such carnal knowledge, he or she shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony, except as provided in subsection B. B. Any person who performs or causes to be performed cunnilingus, fellatio, anilingus or anal intercourse upon or by his daughter or granddaughter, son or grandson, brother or sister, or father or mother is guilty of a Class 5 felony. However, if a parent or grandparent commits any such act with his child or grandchild and such child or grandchild is at least 13 but less than 18 years of age at the time of the offense, such parent or grandparent is guilty of a Class 3 felony. C. For the purposes of this section, parent includes step-parent, grandparent includes step-grandparent, child includes step-child and grandchild includes step-grandchild. (Code 1950, § 18.1-212; 1960, c. 358; 1968, c. 427; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1977, c. 285; 1981, c. 397; 1993, c. 450; 2005, c. 185.)
This surprises me further because doesn't the (2005) part referred to when the code was last "updated". Why would Virginia update the code when section A is clearly against SCOTUS decision. Why would ANY Virginia prosecutor even bother to fight "sodomy" when its consensual? Here is the link to his profile http://sex-offender.vsp.virginia.gov/sor/servlet/SOR?id=X000098215

I honestly hope I am missing something here. But the fact that code 18.2-67.1 deals with forceful sodomy only reinforces my belief that I am sadly correct. I am a bit disturb that the Virginia Senate would update a law that is null and void by SCOTUS. I know this isn't gun related --- but any wrongs on our civil liberties is of concern on this forum, whether its the 2nd amendment or any of the others.

I tried seeing if I could find another charge of Sodomy but in the 10 minutes I tried, nothing could come up.
In the few minutes I have, I cannot find the applicable case for this offender but there are a number of ways in which 18.2-361 can still be constitutionally prosecuted even after the ruling in Lawrence and the overturning of Bowers.

Lawrence only covered private sexual conduct. If the defendant in this case were engaged in sodomy in public, then prosecution under this statute would be constitutional. Prosecution would also be constitutional if the other participant were underage or possessed one of the special status relationships laid out in the statute you quoted.

And finally, I should point out that, like the Georgia statute in Bowers, Virginia's sodomy statute applies equally regardless of the sex of the participants and therefore does not violate equal protection or due process generally as did the Texas statute in Lawrence.

Drake

imported post

jpierce wrote:
And finally, I should point out that, like the Georgia statute in Bowers, Virginia's sodomy statute applies equally regardless of the sex of the participants and therefore does not violate equal protection or due process generally as did the Texas statute in Lawrence.

If this is true --- some people need to be voted out of office. The entire concept that law enforcement would be charging individuals base on absurd, seventeenth century, morality laws is disturbing and reminiscent to backwards cultures.

Does anyone have more information about which senators support this? If I find out some republicans are supporting evangelical-radical thought... I am voting for the democrat.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

DDrake wrote:
jpierce wrote:
If this is true --- some people need to be voted out of office. The entire concept that law enforcement would be charging individuals base on absurd, seventeenth century, morality laws is disturbing and reminiscent to backwards cultures.

Does anyone have more information about which senators support this? If I find out some republicans are supporting evangelical-radical thought... I am voting for the democrat.
I was not supporting the statute but rather was answering your initial question as to how a 2005 conviction was possible under this statute.

As to your second point, please re-read my response. This statute CANNOT be used to prosecute for private sexual behavior. However, public sodomy or sodomy that involves minors or special status relations to the alleged offender ARE still constitutionally proscribed.

As to which senators support this ... this is an old statute. The courts simply have new binding precedent as to how to interpret it. This really has no relevance to our current batch of legislators, Republican or Democrat.

Glock27Bill

imported post

kenny wrote:
Perhaps this individuals crime did not involve a person, therefore you have a conviction.

Squirrel_Shoots_Back.jpg

Busted!!!

nitrovic

imported post

DDrake wrote:

A lot of times the police will charge this in regards to the "park hags". Males who meet other males in public park bathrooms for blowjobs and handjobs. We had a problem with that in a couple of Northern Va counties. Little kids would report to their parents that two guys were kissing each others privates in the bathroom, not good.:what:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

nitrovic wrote:
A lot of times the police will charge this in regards to the "park hags". Males who meet other males in public park bathrooms for blowjobs and handjobs. We had a problem with that in a couple of Northern Va counties. Little kids would report to their parents that two guys were kissing each others privates in the bathroom, not good.:what:
An odd appearance

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
An odd appearance
He ran out of material to post on the police board or just slumming.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Ok. I answered the initial question because of the constitutional law aspect of it but I do not want this topic degrading into something unproductive so I am going to close it now.

John