• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Be Careful In Westlake

ChefW

imported post

Well let me tell everyone about a terrible OC experience I had at Crocker Park in Westlake, OH. First of all, Crocker Park is a cluster f*** of stores in Westlake. I was off on this day and I decided to OC my S&W MP .40.

I first went into Dick's to pick up some tees as I was golfing later. Nothing happened, no strange looks, no running people. That is until I got to the register to pay. I was second in line to the oldest lady in ohio to pay and some store clerk comes up to me and says "You wouldn't happen to be a cop would you"? I said "No is something wrong"? He says "I just wanted to see if you were alright, some customers mentioned to me about your sidearm. I was going to ask you to leave, but you seem alright" I then went on telling him that OC is perfectly legal in Ohio as long as there are no signs restricting it. So I left resigning myself to never shop at that Dick's again.

As I left the store, I remembered that my wife wanted me to stop by Barnes and Noble to order a DVD. I went in the store and everything went smooth as could be. No problems at all.

I then proceeded to my car that was parked in the parking garage when a security guard starts walking VERY quickly my way. He was almost running as far as I can tell. For some strange reason, I always take a look behind me about every 5 steps. (my time in the Marines I guess). When he finnaly catches up to me he asks if I am a LEO. I say no obviously and he goes on and on about how the entire open air complex is private property and that there are signs posted at the roadway entrance ( I never saw this sign at all) Since I believed him about being on private property, I told him I was leaving and would never return.

I got his name and supervisors name and promptly left. I intend sending and email to the area director about the legality of OC and if they should feel that they do not want guns on their property, better signage to prevent this from happening again. Please let me know if I have committed any wrong action in this situation. Thanks

RT48

imported post

Stark Enterprises, the owner of Crocker Park, has all its properties posted with "no guns" signs at the parking lot entrances. You'll see the same thing if you visit the OfficeMax Plaza in North Olmsted. I avoid all Stark Enterprises shopping areas for that reason.

Of course, come September 9th, parking lot "no guns' areas change from criminal trespass to civil trespass thanks to SB184.

I'm curious to see if Stark Enterprises will start posting signs on all the stores in reaction to the law change.

ChefW

imported post

I did see the sign as I left, but the entrance I came in at did not have a sign posted. How can they expect armed citizens to not follow their rules when all of the entrances do not have properly posted signs?

rDigital

imported post

You lucked out big time buddy! You have to really be careful with CPZs (criminal protection zones). Don't give them anymore of your business EVER and let them know by way of a letter that you are saddened to think that such an upstanding corporation ,with obviously incompetent security, would rather it's customers be slaughtered/raped/held hostage by terrorists/deranged gunmen than to allow law abiding peaceful CITIZENS to carry their arms as they see fit. Do they know what country this is or how it was built? They should put a huge ******* sign on the entrance that says that "The Bill of Rights does not apply on these premises, Enjoy life as a subject of the Crown".

Tell them to check out the FBI report on people that open carry: here's a clue:

:what:Criminals do not open carry. - the FBI

Concealed carry is for CHL holders, undercover LEOs, Tactical Tom and Criminals.