Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual reaction to OC on a motorcycle

Post imported post

I had an odd experience on the way home from the highway cleanup. I was OC on a motorcycle going up Hwy 99 and a 25-ish guy pulls up beside me at a stoplight, rolls down his window, waves his hand around like its a pistol and screams something like "wahoo! I got a pistol ... garble garble..".

He kept yelling for about 10-15 seconds. Due to the traffic noise I honestly couldn't tell if he was pro or anti. I gave him a slight nod and drove off.

He was still next to me at the next red but was a lot more subdued. I think his wife/gf might have punched him.

I've had all the normal reactions before, but never someone just acting crazy. It didn't bother me until later when I was wondering what would have happened if I'd been on foot and I couldn't just pull away.

To make up for it, a different guy honked, pointed, and gave me thumb's up.

Post imported post

It's interesting how many of us also ride motorcycles. We need to do an OC motorcycle ride!

Post imported post

Sounds good! Pick a weekend and I'm in. We should at least ride to the OC meetings.

Motorcycles seem to open people up a bit for some reason. I have more folks give friendly waves and more kids waving from the back seat than when I'm just walking around.

Post imported post

What do you guys ride?

Post imported post

Depending on mood:
    Victory Kingpin Tour
    Triumph Daytona 675

...and you?

Post imported post

Just picked up a Kawasaki ZZR600 a week ago. Was riding a KLR650 before that.

Too young to OC ('bout 13 months left), I'd love to tag along for a ride though. I could be over on the coast by 11 if I left at 8

Post imported post

This is to good to pass up. Here's my only 2 wheeled ride now.

Post imported post

Brad Cowin - that would be awesome, that ZZR should makes the miles easy!

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    A good friend of mine, about 5'10' and 300 lbs (he's a serious power lifter) just took his motorcycle test on a very similiar scooter. He didn't want to use his cruiser so he borrowed it from someone.

In WA, anything that do over 30 MPH requires a license and can be used on the test.

I think it looked something like this:

Post imported post

hell ya count me in as well i need to pop my OC 2 wheel cherry

Post imported post

Right now it's a '79 Yamaha XS1100.

I've ridden around town a bit OC'ing. Would like to do it more.

Post imported post

Jim675 wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    A good friend of mine, about 5'10' and 300 lbs (he's a serious power lifter) just took his motorcycle test on a very similiar scooter. He didn't want to use his cruiser so he borrowed it from someone.

In WA, anything that do over 30 MPH requires a license and can be used on the test.

I was under them impression that under 50cc did not require and endorsement and over did. I never heard of an mph break, only engine size.

[/b]"Moped" means a motorized device designed to travel with not more than three sixteen-inch or larger diameter wheels in contact with the ground, having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, and an electric or a liquid fuel motor with a cylinder displacement not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters which produces no more than two gross brake horsepower (developed by a prime mover, as measured by a brake applied to the driving shaft) that is capable of propelling the device at not more than thirty miles per hour on level ground.

The Washington state patrol may approve of and define as a "moped" a vehicle which fails to meet these specific criteria, but which is essentially similar in performance and application to motorized devices which do meet these specific criteria.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Jim675 wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:

I was under them impression that under 50cc did not require and endorsement and over did. I never heard of an mph break, only engine size.

"Moped" means a motorized device designed to travel with not more than three sixteen-inch or larger diameter wheels in contact with the ground, having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, and an electric or a liquid fuel motor with a cylinder displacement not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters which produces no more than two gross brake horsepower (developed by a prime mover, as measured by a brake applied to the driving shaft) that is capable of propelling the device at not more than thirty miles per hour on level ground.

The Washington state patrol may approve of and define as a "moped" a vehicle which fails to meet these specific criteria, but which is essentially similar in performance and application to motorized devices which do meet these specific criteria.

I think most states do just go by the 49 CC rule. Once again, WA just has to be extra safe. :?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I am soooo jealous. I crashed my bike, but I may get another one some time. A OC ride would be sweet. I had a GSXR1000. Now I have 2 of them... one bike broken in two.:?

Post imported post

I'm in- and depending on what/where we're going, I ride a KTM 950 Adventure or my 525XC

From Baja last year- and no, I wasn't OCing- or CCing for that matter....

Post imported post

Beautiful - bike and scene!

Post imported post

All right - I'm inspired.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...mp;forum_id=55

Let's go for a ride.

Post imported post

Can I ride this??????

Post imported post

Absolutely, we may need to modify the route a bit though!

Post imported post

03' Triumph Speedmaster

Count me in for an OC ride

Post imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
    I am soooo jealous. I crashed my bike, but I may get another one some time. A OC ride would be sweet. I had a GSXR1000. Now I have 2 of them... one bike broken in two.:?
    You alright? Tell us what happened!

I crashed my XS last season and just got it back together last week.

Post imported post

The next three weekends I'm out of town, on the scoot BTW, but you bet I'd be in for a first OC with Y'All. Here's my VTX1300 loaded up for a few days of "getting the hell out of Dodge" :celebrate

Post imported post

Jim675 wrote:
    True, however you may get a license limited to something smaller than you want to ride. I don't know if it is still done but at one time the MC endorsement was in "segments". One being MC's under 500cc and the other Unlimited (like the one I just surrendered the last time I renewed my License as I don't own a bike anymore). I don't remember if there was a third, smaller classification anymore. These were placed on the license due to lots of people bringing their Honda 90's for the driving test and then going our and buying a Gold Wing, etc.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

They don't issue the permit based on CCs anymore. The classes they teach, they will provide a 250 Rebel, and after you pass, you may get whatever you wish.

Post imported post

BlaineG wrote:
    They don't issue the permit based on CCs anymore. The classes they teach, they will provide a 250 Rebel, and after you pass, you may get whatever you wish.
    Show up on one of these and see the eyebrows raise

http://www.khulsey.com/motorcycles/z...ts_mammut.html
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast