• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unusual reaction to OC on a motorcycle

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I had an odd experience on the way home from the highway cleanup. I was OC on a motorcycle going up Hwy 99 and a 25-ish guy pulls up beside me at a stoplight, rolls down his window, waves his hand around like its a pistol and screams something like "wahoo! I got a pistol ... garble garble..".

He kept yelling for about 10-15 seconds. Due to the traffic noise I honestly couldn't tell if he was pro or anti. I gave him a slight nod and drove off.

He was still next to me at the next red but was a lot more subdued. I think his wife/gf might have punched him.

I've had all the normal reactions before, but never someone just acting crazy. It didn't bother me until later when I was wondering what would have happened if I'd been on foot and I couldn't just pull away.

To make up for it, a different guy honked, pointed, and gave me thumb's up. :)

t3rmin

imported post

It's interesting how many of us also ride motorcycles. We need to do an OC motorcycle ride!

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sounds good! Pick a weekend and I'm in. We should at least ride to the OC meetings.

Motorcycles seem to open people up a bit for some reason. I have more folks give friendly waves and more kids waving from the back seat than when I'm just walking around.

Brad Cowin

imported post

Just picked up a Kawasaki ZZR600 a week ago. Was riding a KLR650 before that.

Too young to OC ('bout 13 months left), I'd love to tag along for a ride though. I could be over on the coast by 11 if I left at 8 :lol:

Bear 45/70

imported post

This is to good to pass up.:D Here's my only 2 wheeled ride now.

86_red_mint_1.jpg

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
A good friend of mine, about 5'10' and 300 lbs (he's a serious power lifter) just took his motorcycle test on a very similiar scooter. He didn't want to use his cruiser so he borrowed it from someone.

In WA, anything that do over 30 MPH requires a license and can be used on the test.

I think it looked something like this:

t3rmin

imported post

Right now it's a '79 Yamaha XS1100.

I've ridden around town a bit OC'ing. Would like to do it more.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
A good friend of mine, about 5'10' and 300 lbs (he's a serious power lifter) just took his motorcycle test on a very similiar scooter. He didn't want to use his cruiser so he borrowed it from someone.

In WA, anything that do over 30 MPH requires a license and can be used on the test.

I was under them impression that under 50cc did not require and endorsement and over did. I never heard of an mph break, only engine size.

[align=right][/align]
[/b]"Moped" means a motorized device designed to travel with not more than three sixteen-inch or larger diameter wheels in contact with the ground, having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, and an electric or a liquid fuel motor with a cylinder displacement not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters which produces no more than two gross brake horsepower (developed by a prime mover, as measured by a brake applied to the driving shaft) that is capable of propelling the device at not more than thirty miles per hour on level ground.

The Washington state patrol may approve of and define as a "moped" a vehicle which fails to meet these specific criteria, but which is essentially similar in performance and application to motorized devices which do meet these specific criteria.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Jim675 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

I was under them impression that under 50cc did not require and endorsement and over did. I never heard of an mph break, only engine size.

"Moped" means a motorized device designed to travel with not more than three sixteen-inch or larger diameter wheels in contact with the ground, having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, and an electric or a liquid fuel motor with a cylinder displacement not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters which produces no more than two gross brake horsepower (developed by a prime mover, as measured by a brake applied to the driving shaft) that is capable of propelling the device at not more than thirty miles per hour on level ground.

The Washington state patrol may approve of and define as a "moped" a vehicle which fails to meet these specific criteria, but which is essentially similar in performance and application to motorized devices which do meet these specific criteria.
I think most states do just go by the 49 CC rule. Once again, WA just has to be extra safe. :?

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:banghead:I am soooo jealous. I crashed my bike, but I may get another one some time. A OC ride would be sweet. I had a GSXR1000. Now I have 2 of them... one bike broken in two.:?

Hammer

imported post

I'm in- and depending on what/where we're going, I ride a KTM 950 Adventure or my 525XC
DSCN0638.jpg

From Baja last year- and no, I wasn't OCing- or CCing for that matter....