• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

why/how to carry to/from work

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

I can not bring guns onto work property so if I want to carry in the car on the way to work should I:

A: Park in thewell-lit secured company parking garage and risk someone seeing me putting my gun in the trunkand losing my job.

B: Park off-propertyonbadly-lit high-crime area street and riskBG seeing me put gun in trunk and getting car and/or gun stolen?

C: Just don't carry to/from work?

D: Get a job that allows guns on premisis. :)

Sometimes it seems kinda pointless to carry to the grocery store when my biggest risk of being attacked is at work....

NWGirl

imported post

As the pp said you have to make that decision but I wanted to say we use small safes in our cars. Our church meets in a school so we're not allowed to carry inside but we want to re-arm as soon as church is over. Using the car safes we are able to discreetly put our handguns away without any one knowing they're there.

Ravenhawk

imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
I can not bring guns onto work property so if I want to carry in the car on the way to work should I:

A: Park in thewell-lit secured company parking garage and risk someone seeing me putting my gun in the trunkand losing my job.

B: Park off-propertyonbadly-lit high-crime area street and riskBG seeing me put gun in trunk and getting car and/or gun stolen?

Sometimes it seems kinda pointless to carry to the grocery store when my biggest risk of being attacked is at work....
If I was in your shoes I'd just lock it in glove box on Company property.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ravenhawk wrote:

If I was in your shoes I'd just lock it in glove box on Company property.
I2nd that, and I have done that

Bear 45/70

imported post

Back when I still worked, the last couple of employers knew and didn't care, so my loaded gun spent the day in the draw of my roll around tool box with me. Before that I either kept it in my locker or glove box. A pretty much don't ask/don't tell deal. But that was back in the less unenlightened years of the 70s and early 80s when it wasn't such a front pageissue. Before that my employer issued me several different weapons on a regular basis.

compmanio365

imported post

My life, and the lives of my coworkers, means more to me than any company policy. Those I can trust know I am armed, and it is simply not spoken of, and it is never shown while at work......it is one of the few places I take "concealed means concealed" to heart........if something were to happen and I had to use my weapon to defend myself or someone else, I would hope that the circumstances would show the management of our company how ridiculous a "no weapons" policy is, and how impossible it is to enforce. If not, then I guess I would be looking for a new job.

Bear 45/70

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
My life, and the lives of my coworkers, means more to me than any company policy. Those I can trust know I am armed, and it is simply not spoken of, and it is never shown while at work......it is one of the few places I take "concealed means concealed" to heart........if something were to happen and I had to use my weapon to defend myself or someone else, I would hope that the circumstances would show the management of our company how ridiculous a "no weapons" policy is, and how impossible it is to enforce. If not, then I guess I would be looking for a new job.
Yeah, but you would be alive to look for another job. I wouldn't count on the management types to admit that their policy was wrong, ever.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

It's too bad they can't figure this out about schools... We take our 3 kids to football practice (in Kent) every day between 6 and 8 PM. So, I must go unarmed. You all probably heard about the Federal Way shooting that happened last Tuesday night. This happened after football practice, for one of the teams that our team plays against. Just another perfect example of school "gun-free zone", good guys follow the law and can't be armed, bad guys don't care about, or follow the laws. I wonder what would happen if one of the good guys was carrying and needed to defend himself on the school property. If he shot the bad guy and protected himself/herself and maybe some kids, would the circumstances clear him of carrying on the school grounds? Or would he still go to jail, even though he saved innocent lives?

Staying alive is better, but being put in prison anyway means, one can no longer protect his family, (or provide for them either).

Triple Tap

imported post

Since I make the "rules" at my office I guess I dont have to tell you all which way my employees can carry.:D

If I was in your situation and could not cc at work comfortably then I would get one of the low profile lock boxes to go under the seat of your car with the cable attached to the seat frame. Being able to lock it away without getting out of your car is a plus. I have one and there are times that I go see clients that I just cant wear a gun as these are high security areas. Nobody can see what I am doing under the seat.

xiphoris

imported post

I can not bring guns onto work property so

Be very careful. I investigated this issue with my employer and I was told that work property includes the parking garage. Not that they would necessarily ever know if I kept a gun locked in my car, but should they find out about it somehow, company rules allow them to fire me. It may be the same in your situation too.

(I don't know if they're actually right about this. Since the parking garage is owned by another company, I am planning to determine whether they actually have jurisdiction over it.. in which case I could store a gun in my car without being under the purview of my company regulations.)

John Hardin

imported post

Trunk? Why put it in the trunk?

Get a small pistol safe and cable it underneath the passenger seat (or the driver's seat if there's space). Then you can arm/disarm inside the vehicle with all motions hopefully below the line-of-sight from outside the car. Better still if you have tinted windows.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

xiphoris wrote:
I can not bring guns onto work property so

Be very careful. I investigated this issue with my employer and I was told that work property includes the parking garage. Not that they would necessarily ever know if I kept a gun locked in my car, but should they find out about it somehow, company rules allow them to fire me. It may be the same in your situation too.

(I don't know if they're actually right about this. Since the parking garage is owned by another company, I am planning to determine whether they actually have jurisdiction over it.. in which case I could store a gun in my car without being under the purview of my company regulations.)

Do they pay for the parking or do you?

BlaineG

imported post

What gun, Sir? And no, you have no reason to look inside my car......

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Employers in Washington State don't have to have a reason to fire you. Unless there is a printed company policy that says otherwise.

GunnyG

imported post

John Hardin wrote:

Trunk? Why put it in the trunk?

Get a small pistol safe and cable it underneath the passenger seat (or the driver's seat if there's space). Then you can arm/disarm inside the vehicle with all motions hopefully below the line-of-sight from outside the car. Better still if you have tinted windows.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/

BTW.....Cabela's in Yelm carries those lock boxes, both sizes for the same $29.99 price.I found the one I boughtin the area to the left of the Gun Gallery. behind the gunsafes.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...h/search-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

I used to have this dilemma.

For me thechoice was simple. The only way they would find out about me having it is if I needed it. If I needed it, I would be more concerned with keeping my life than my job.

I don't see a legally carried firearm any different than any other personal property. Would/could an employer tell you you can't wear a watch? Carrya cell phone? a Gameboy? What business is it of theirs?

Don't ask, don't tell. Concealed means VERY concealed. Have a permit to protect you from criminal concerns.

I believe most drivers carry a driver bag of sorts with their route books, route cards, etc. There are a number of small "man-bag" type satchels that would not only serve this purpose, but also are designed to carry a firearm inside a secure holster. Mine even has a locking latch to keep prying eyes away. Not necessarily the quickest method, but reasonably secure if you keep it with you nand don't leave it laying around. Trust NO ONE. Keep your mouth shut.

Just make damn sure you don't leave it laying around anywhere if you choose this route (pun intended...)