• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Beach police called on me by Rudees Bar Manager.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

My wife and I went to Rudees On The Inlet for dinner yesterday and on the way to being seated the bar manager stopped us and "informed" me that you can't carry a gun in a place that sells and serves alchohol. When I tried to tell him he was wrong he tried to cut me off and tell me he had a CHP and I told him I'm the customer don't interupt me. When I said that he looked like he wanted to deck me!!! When I asked to talk to the manager he told me that they called the police to see if it was legal and they were told it was. He also told me that he was uncomfortable with me carrying. I asked him if he wanted my buisness and he started to say something and I stopped him and told him just tell me yes or no do you want my buisness. Of course he said yes. So we left anyway. We ended up going to Rockafellers and had a great incident free meal.

danbus

imported post

Sorry to hear what happened. I too have been asked to leave the firearm in the car. I just tell them they won't get my business and leave.

I think it's comical when a person says it's "the law" and when they are proven wrong, they resort to "well I don't feel comfortable". They don't like the fact that they are wrong, so they pull out the child tactics.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

danbus wrote:
Sorry to hear what happened. I too have been asked to leave the firearm in the car. I just tell them they won't get my business and leave.

I think it's comical when a person says it's "the law" and when they are proven wrong, they resort to "well I don't feel comfortable". They don't like the fact that they are wrong, so they pull out the child tactics.
Yes that's true and carries over to other areas (non-firearms) as well. People do not like to be caught with their proverbial pants down. They don't like it when someones shows or proves them or their stance to be in error. So they respond instead of bowing to superior knowledge and acknowledging their mistake. Happens frequently in so many other venues.

Perhaps we can kinda help them along after the fact by saying something like, "That's understandable.. many people are not all that familiar with the law in this area. You're not alone". Maybe we can smooth them over and help them see our side a little better.

Just a thought.

sccrref

imported post

I wonder how the idiot feels when he carries? I guess that is different. Maybe he calls the police on himself. He probably got his CHP (if he does have one) in an attempt to be a sheep in wolfs clothing.

sccrref

imported post

ed wrote:
sccrref wrote:
I wonder how the idiot feels when he carries? I guess that is different. Maybe he calls the police on himself. He probably got his CHP (if he does have one) in an attempt to be a sheep in wolfs clothing.
A wolf in sheeps clothing?
That is the correct saying and I guess that you could apply it to CCers. The point I was making isthathe said he had a CHP and knew what the law was, then when he found out he didn't know the law, he stated that the OP OCing made him uncomfortable. Therefore he is a sheep in wolfs clothing.

Eeyore

imported post

ed wrote:
sccrref wrote:
more like a "sheep in wolf's clothing, with another sheep costume layered on top." :lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Eeyore wrote:
ed wrote:
sccrref wrote:
more like a "sheep in wolf's clothing, with another sheep costume layered on top." :lol:

:D

Layered in sheep dip, to boot.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
SNIP Perhaps we can kinda help them along after the fact by saying something like, "That's understandable.. many people are not all that familiar with the law in this area. You're not alone". Maybe we can smooth them over and help them see our side a little better.
+5

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
He also told me that he was uncomfortable with me carrying.

Just tell him you were not inviting him to sit with you and that heCOULD go sit comfortably in the victim section if it made him FEEL any better, but in fact, you were uncomfortable with the lack of security and you would only agree to let him sit with you if he agreed to catch any stray bullets.

- Or -

You could have told him to up-size his panties and get over it....

:)celebrate:celebrate Don't you just love Monday morning Quarterbacks?? :celebrate:celebrate)

Fawkes

imported post

I'm a few seconds away from Rudee's and am surprised to see this... I guess, in the long run, you were better off at Rock's... their Caesar salad is much better, IMHO, although I will give the she-crab edge to Rudee's. Either way, If they don't want my money, I will take my business to Rock's instead.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

I've OCd at Dirty Dicks before with 0 problems. Hell I've OCd at Rudees before yesterday and didn't have any problems. How about an OC dining at Dirty Dicks and we'll take a pic to send to Rudees along with the total of the dinner tabs??

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

Dennis O'Connor and I open carried at Rockafeller's on Thursday afternoon and had their lobster special. Excellent. No issues with carrying, either.

We also walked all around the Boardwalk and nearby streets, no problems.

Thundar

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
When I asked to talk to the manager he told me that they called the police to see if it was legal and they were told it was.

This is a success story! VA Beach dispatch told the bar it was legal and did not dispatch the SWAT Team, or even a single officer.

That calls for 3 dancing bananas:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

marine2000

imported post

I have been to Rudees many times and never once encountered such a problem.

That is really surprsing to hear....!!!!!

Sorry about to hear that...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

W.E.G.

imported post

Could it be that tidewater-area police chiefs are finding it unpleasant to pay §1983 settlements and write "apology letters?"

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
Dennis O'Connor and I open carried at Rockafeller's on Thursday afternoon and had their lobster special. Excellent. No issues with carrying, either.

We also walked all around the Boardwalk and nearby streets, no problems.
Sunday when we were strolling the board walk we walked by three VA Beach officers and not a thing was said. Although it did get there attention.