• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OpenCarry.org Member Featured on French TV News

rodbender

imported post

Thundar wrote:
rodbender wrote:
That's great, but the only French I speak is "Merci beau coup". I know, it's embarrassing.
That wasn't Frenchit was some sort of Quebec butchering of the French language.
Sounded like French. Mike said something about a French translater. IT could have been Swahili for allI know. I speak English, well, theAmerican kind of English.

XD Owner

imported post

Une arme pour protéger ma famille

Protéger sa famille. Nathaniel Breeding en est convaincu, seule une arme peut lui permettre de veiller sur sa femme et ses trois enfants. Cet homme de 37 ans, expert en technologie de l'information pour le gouvernement américain, ne fait pas confiance aux forces de l'ordre. Il préfère porter en permanence un revolver à sa ceinture pour pouvoir réagir à la moindre agression.

-------------------------------------------------------------

A weapon in order to protect my family

To protect his familly, Nathaniel Breeding is convinced that only a weapon can permit him to keep watch over his wife and three children. The 37 year-old man, IT expert for the US government, does not have confidence in the forces of law and order. He prefers to carry all the time a revolver [should read pistol] on his belt in order to be able to react to the slightest aggression.

[I heard nothing about "slightest aggression" in the report. I would have said .. in order to react tomurderous attackers.]

-------------------------------------------------------------

In the report, She described Virginia as having the loosest ("laxiste") gun laws in the US. I would have preferred something more positive like the most gun freedom in the US. Not sure how you would translate that into French though - la plus liberté aux armes?

But I'm just nit-picking. It's pretty cool to see him "even in a park" with a gun.

AFP = Agence France Press = France Press Agency.

possumboy

imported post

They were from France. They have been living here in the US for a few years (I believe that is what they said) and do stories from America.

Aboutfive hours of filming for that short little clip.

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

"[Mr. Breeding] doesn't have confidence in the forces of law and order" - I am quite sure that Mr. Breeding did not say anything like that to the French Press Agency. I could hear him speaking English and he sounded calm and reasonable to me.

What he might have said was probably something like this: "It's just not logical to depend on law enforcement officials to be everywhere all the time. If someone attacks my wife, my children, or myself, we could be badly hurt, my wife could be raped, and/or we could all be dead before the police even receive a call. Who's to say the police will even benotified of the attack quickly? Maybe nobody will see us get attacked, we'll all get killed, and so the cops won't find out until our bodies arediscovered in the park or in a lake or wherever, days later??"

On that note, I'll tell you who I trust to watch out for my life. I trust in God, in my armed wife, and in my .40 caliber pistol on my hip. I will never expect that the police will always be there for me the second I need them. Besides, the police have absolutely no duty to protect citizens. The District of Columbia’s highest court spelled out plainly the “fundamental principle that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen.”

I found this page about that VERY interesting: http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kasler-protection.html

possumboy

imported post

jarodm20 wrote:
"[Mr. Breeding] doesn't have confidence in the forces of law and order" - I am quite sure that Mr. Breeding did not say anything like that to the French Press Agency. I could hear him speaking English and he sounded calm and reasonable to me.

What he might have said was probably something like this: "It's just not logical to depend on law enforcement officials to be everywhere all the time. If someone attacks my wife, my children, or myself, we could be badly hurt, my wife could be raped, and/or we could all be dead before the police even receive a call. Who's to say the police will even benotified of the attack quickly? Maybe nobody will see us get attacked, we'll all get killed, and so the cops won't find out until our bodies arediscovered in the park or in a lake or wherever, days later??"

On that note, I'll tell you who I trust to watch out for my life. I trust in God, in my armed wife, and in my .40 caliber pistol on my hip. I will never expect that the police will always be there for me the second I need them. Besides, the police have absolutely no duty to protect citizens. The District of Columbia’s highest court spelled out plainly the “fundamental principle that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen.”

I found this page about that VERY interesting: http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kasler-protection.html

Mr. Breeding ;)said he doesn't want to depend on the police to protect his family andhimself. That they (police) cannot be everywhere and he doesn't want to orwasn't going to trust his family's safety to police.

I don't think they people who translated it into French meant anything by it. That he doesn't have confidence that Law Enforcement will be there when he needs them.

But, Mr. Breeding does agree with you.:D