Thread: Federal laws require waiting period on purchase?

Post imported post

Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase my first gun for CC and OC wear. When I was at the gun store I was told there is a 10 day waiting period for gun purchases. I have not been able to find reference to this online... so I am wondering if anyone could help me find a reference in proof of this or against this?

My state law (Washington) requires a 5-day waiting period. Where can I find out more about Federal waiting periods?

Thanks.

Activist Member

Post imported post

There is no federal waiting period.

When Igo to buy a gun, I walk out with it in about 15 minutes. Nevada has no waiting period.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Tennessee doesn't have a waiting period either.

Waiting periods is something the Federal law leaves to the States as "reasonable regulation".

Post imported post

KY does not have a waiting period either. You can walk in and walk out after they make a phone call.

Cy

Post imported post

It varies State to State, Connecticut for instance has a 14 day cooling off period for purchases of Long Gun without Permit and or Hunting License, look up State rules for your State.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

There is no longer any Federal law requiring a waiting period. There used to be a provision fora 5-day waitin the Brady Act, but it expired when NICS came online.

Everyone else here is pretty much right; States have the power to enforce waiting periods even though NICS is now in place. This may be because the State or a neighboring State doesn't send updates to NICS fast enough to prevent someone from being convicted of domestic violence and then buying a gun the next day. It may be because the state's bluer than a Princeton grad's blood and thus the Bradys have had a big influence. Or it may just be that it seems like "reasonable restrictions".

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

xiphoris wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase my first gun for CC and OC wear. When I was at the gun store I was told there is a 10 day waiting period for gun purchases. I have not been able to find reference to this online... so I am wondering if anyone could help me find a reference in proof of this or against this?

My state law (Washington) requires a 5-day waiting period. Where can I find out more about Federal waiting periods?
    There is no federal waiting period - they are probably messing with you. Please post in the appropriate state forum and state the name of the gun store and name of the employee.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    xiphoris wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase my first gun for CC and OC wear. ** When I was at the gun store I was told there is a 10 day waiting period for gun purchases.* I have not been able to find reference to this online... so I am wondering if anyone could help me find a reference in proof of this or against this?

My state law (Washington) requires a 5-day waiting period.* Where can I find out more about Federal waiting periods?
    There is no federal waiting period - they are probably messing with you.* Please post in the appropriate state forum and state the name of the gun store and name of the employee.
    5 days in WA unless you have a cpl.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Mmm it's 5 days. I've had a couple of FFL's who refuse to do a transfer until 5 busines days have passed from the time the local PD recieved the paperwork, and they do it all through the US mail, so they told me it would take 10 days to get it all done.

What dealer are you talking about? I'm thinking of a pawnshop on Hwy 99 and 198th or so in Lynnwood.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
    There is no federal waiting period.

When Igo to buy a gun, I walk out with it in about 15 minutes. Nevada has no waiting period.
    Neither does Wyoming.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

Cyklopz wrote:
    KY does not have a waiting period either. You can walk in and walk out after they make a phone call.

Cy
    Texas has no waiting period. They will make the call to whoever it is they call. Since I have a CHL, they don't even make the phone call.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers