• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal laws require waiting period on purchase?

xiphoris

imported post

Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase my first gun for CC and OC wear. :D When I was at the gun store I was told there is a 10 day waiting period for gun purchases. I have not been able to find reference to this online... so I am wondering if anyone could help me find a reference in proof of this or against this?

My state law (Washington) requires a 5-day waiting period. Where can I find out more about Federal waiting periods?

Thanks.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

There is no federal waiting period.

When Igo to buy a gun, I walk out with it in about 15 minutes. Nevada has no waiting period.

Cyklopz

imported post

KY does not have a waiting period either. You can walk in and walk out after they make a phone call.

Cy

bradco

imported post

It varies State to State, Connecticut for instance has a 14 day cooling off period for purchases of Long Gun without Permit and or Hunting License, look up State rules for your State.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There is no longer any Federal law requiring a waiting period. There used to be a provision fora 5-day waitin the Brady Act, but it expired when NICS came online.

Everyone else here is pretty much right; States have the power to enforce waiting periods even though NICS is now in place. This may be because the State or a neighboring State doesn't send updates to NICS fast enough to prevent someone from being convicted of domestic violence and then buying a gun the next day. It may be because the state's bluer than a Princeton grad's blood and thus the Bradys have had a big influence. Or it may just be that it seems like "reasonable restrictions".

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

xiphoris wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase my first gun for CC and OC wear. :D When I was at the gun store I was told there is a 10 day waiting period for gun purchases. I have not been able to find reference to this online... so I am wondering if anyone could help me find a reference in proof of this or against this?

My state law (Washington) requires a 5-day waiting period. Where can I find out more about Federal waiting periods?
There is no federal waiting period - they are probably messing with you. Please post in the appropriate state forum and state the name of the gun store and name of the employee.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Mike wrote:
xiphoris wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase my first gun for CC and OC wear.  :D  When I was at the gun store I was told there is a 10 day waiting period for gun purchases.  I have not been able to find reference to this online... so I am wondering if anyone could help me find a reference in proof of this or against this?

My state law (Washington) requires a 5-day waiting period.  Where can I find out more about Federal waiting periods?
There is no federal waiting period - they are probably messing with you.  Please post in the appropriate state forum and state the name of the gun store and name of the employee.

5 days in WA unless you have a cpl.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Mmm it's 5 days. I've had a couple of FFL's who refuse to do a transfer until 5 busines days have passed from the time the local PD recieved the paperwork, and they do it all through the US mail, so they told me it would take 10 days to get it all done.

What dealer are you talking about? I'm thinking of a pawnshop on Hwy 99 and 198th or so in Lynnwood.

rodbender

imported post

Cyklopz wrote:
KY does not have a waiting period either. You can walk in and walk out after they make a phone call.

Cy
Texas has no waiting period. They will make the call to whoever it is they call. Since I have a CHL, they don't even make the phone call.