Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those looking to buy voice recorders...

Post imported post

Link

A watch that records audio, as well as plays MP3s.

It's a friggin watch, noone would suspect it as a voice recorder

Dealextreme is a low cost importer, their prices include shipping, and overall they ROCK as far as inexpensive items go.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

I haven't worn a watch in better than 6 years now. But it's a great ides for you working types.

Post imported post

I agree with bear, I usually don't like wearing watches. I use my cellphone for keeping time.

It's a neat idea, though. My question is, how long can you record and where's the mic?
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

:shock: OOOH! I am getting one!:celebrate My voice recorder only holds 1/2 GB.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

There are also several models that look like pens. Just clip in your front pocket and it's close enough to your mouth...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    I haven't worn a watch in better than 6 years now. But it's a great ides for you working types.
    Oww. That hurts. That really hurts.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Oww. That hurts. That really hurts.

Post imported post

I don't wear a watch either, but that is seriously a good idea. Any idea if it has a built in mic?

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    I don't wear a watch either, but that is seriously a good idea. Any idea if it has a built in mic?
    Go to the lower part of the link page. There is a question and answer part. They answer in the affirmative for a mic.

Post imported post

Í*çâ**èå: Í*áëþä*òü MP3 AD818FM
    Ìîäåëü:
    Îïèñ**èå: Features:1) High quality built-in MIC record / FM radio / calendar / A-B repeat
    / MP3player / cancel pre-file / shock proof, static proof and waterproof / USB flash
    /line-in record / 5-equalizer modes2) MP3 support format: MP3 / WMA / WAV3) Japan citizen
    MIYOTA 20354) Bite rate: 32kbps - 256kbps5) Temperature: -10 ~ +50°C6) Output frequency
    rate: 20Hz - 20kHz7) Earphone output: 8MW + 8MW8) Port: USB2.09) Operating platform:
    Windows 98 / 2000 / XP / Me / nt Mac OS 8.6 or higher10) Battery pressure: 3.7V11) Charge
    pressure: 5.1V12) More than 9 hours continue playing13) Charging time: about 1.5 hours
    (you should charge 4 hours in the first time)14) Weight: 500g15) Dimensions (L x W x
    H): 120 x 100 x 120mm
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

Get one and let us know how it works. I don't wear a watch but for $46 that would be handy to have.

Post imported post

Be careful of recording people, especially cops. There are federal "wiretapping" laws which can make illegal recording anyone without them knowing you are doing it. People have been busted for recording cops openly with a camera because the court ruled that it wasn't sufficiently obvious.

Depending on the laws you might need to announce that people are being recorded. My understanding is that you can record anyone on video without an announcement, but to record voice requires you to let them know. I might be wrong and I'm not a lawyer -- this is just my memory of news and forums over the last couple of years.

Post imported post

xiphoris wrote:
    Be careful of recording people, especially cops. There are federal "wiretapping" laws which can make illegal recording anyone without them knowing you are doing it. People have been busted for recording cops openly with a camera because the court ruled that it wasn't sufficiently obvious.

Depending on the laws you might need to announce that people are being recorded.
    You haven't been here long enough to be aware of the state laws involved. Unless you tangle with federal officers, the federal laws are of no concern.

Post imported post

GREAT idea! I wounder however how good is the voice quality and how long is the record time?
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Post imported post

fire suppressor wrote:
    GREAT idea! I wounder however how good is the voice quality and how long is the record time?
    Look at the link, the answers are there, really.

Post imported post

You haven't been here long enough to be aware of the state laws involved.
    There are other sources of knowledge than this forum. I am not sure why you would mention how long I have been "here", as if my presence in an online forum has a relationship to my knowledge of law.

Unless you tangle with federal officers, the federal laws are of no concern.
    There are plenty of laws that apply in many circumstances. Please see 18 USC 2510 [1] for the one I am referring to.

(1) Except as otherwise specifically provided in this chapter any person who— (a) intentionally intercepts, endeavors to intercept, or procures any other person to intercept or endeavor to intercept, any wire, oral, or electronic communication ...
    shall be punished as provided in subsection (4) or shall be subject to suit as provided in subsection (5).
    I don't know if it applies or not -- that's something for an actual lawyer to decide because it's complicated. In particular, the definitions used in the law mentioned above include:

(6) "person" means any employee, or agent of the United States or any State or political subdivision thereof, and any individual, partnership, association, joint stock company, trust, or corporation;
    The definition there appears to protect agents of the States. What does that mean? I don't know -- I am not a lawyer I'd be hesitant to trust anyone but a lawyer to make the decision about whether it does.

There may also be state laws. My point was not specifically about federal law, but about law in general, and how recording someone can cause you to be in violation of wiretapping law.

Here is a new story involving such an arrest involving state wiretapping law: http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/man...taping_police/

NASHUA – A city man is charged with violating state wiretap laws by recording a detective on his home security camera, while the detective was investigating the man’s sons.
    [1] http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/1...1----000-.html

Post imported post

The courts have held that a a LEO has no expectation of privacy when acting in an official capacity. You can record them (audio) without giving notice. As far as video recording, that comes under the "Plain View" doctrine. If it is in plain view of the public, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Post imported post

xiphoris wrote:
    Be careful of recording people, especially cops.* There are federal "wiretapping" laws which can make illegal recording anyone without them knowing you are doing it.* People have been busted for recording cops openly with a camera because the court ruled that it wasn't sufficiently obvious.

Depending on the laws you might need to announce that people are being recorded.* My understanding is that you can record anyone on video without an announcement, but to record voice requires you to let them know.* I might be wrong and I'm not a lawyer -- this is just my memory of news and forums over the last couple of years.
    1. Federal wiretapping laws cover PRIVATE conversations, there's no expectation of privacy in public.

2. Federal wiretapping laws require ONE party consent, not two.

Post imported post

No offense meant, but you have to have a separate mic to use this thing, an item I would not reach for as you face the sweaty GED educated officer who is responding to the "man with a gun call". A great deal of movement on your part unscrewing the port, inserting the mic and then holding it up may be interpreted as "hostile" in the eyes of those who feel that the Second is a theory.

The pen recorders, on the other hand, can be turned on with a flick of the finger, can be carried by clip and one version even has a video camera. Some may even be hardened to Tazer weapons, so you can show your friends a recording of you dancing the funky chicken to the tune of 50,000 volts. All of the pen recorders have a built in Mic to record the shouting police officers, their gunfire, you final words, etc.

Post imported post

Which courts have ruled on the issue of police privacy while working? State courts? Federal courts?

Whether they have a "right to privacy" doesn't necessarily affect the situation with regard to wiretapping law. You won't see anywhere in the wiretapping statute mention of "privacy". That is to say, that they don't have a right to privacy doesn't necessarily suddenly make it legal to tape them in violation of the wiretapping law.

Also, for those who do know more about the application of federal law and jurisdiction.... why is it that federal wiretapping law allegedly doesn't apply to circumstances within our state, but that federal firearms laws do? Or is it just that the State decided to pass its own laws mandating compliance with certain federal guidelines?

Post imported post

1. Federal wiretapping laws cover PRIVATE conversations, there's no expectation of privacy in public.
    Do you have a source for this? The statute doesn't say anything about privacy or expectation thereof; it doesn't say that one must have an expectation of privacy in order for the protections of the statute for hold.

Now, Washington State wiretapping law, on the other hand:

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, it shall be unlawful for any individual, partnership, corporation, association, or the state of Washington, its agencies, and political subdivisions to intercept, or record any: (a) Private communication transmitted by telephone, telegraph, radio, or other device between two or more individuals between points within or without the state by any device electronic or otherwise designed to record and/or transmit said communication regardless how such device is powered or actuated, without first obtaining the consent of all the participants in the communication;
    In any case, it is not correct that there is no privacy in public. Privacy does indeed exist in public in many circumstances. Near ATMs is one example; public restrooms are another. Where privacy holds is decided by a court, of course, but even the rules of thumb are not reducible to "no privacy in public".

You are right that privacy is not granted in many situations in public. I can't find the source right now, but I recall reading about a court ruling that held that upskirt photography is legal in public places exactly because of the aforementioned lack of right to privacy.

Post imported post

...unlawful ...to intercept, or record any: (a) Private communication transmitted by telephone, telegraph, radio, or other device
    A face to face conversation is not transmitted by telephone, telegraph, radio, or other device.

Post imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
    No offense meant, but you have to have a separate mic to use this thing

No offense meant, but you're not reading properly.

Features:1) High quality built-in MIC (snip)
    Unless everyone, including the manufacturer, is lying.

Post imported post

Are there any other members interested in buying one of these?... They have a bulk-buy discount for 3+ and 5+. It's only a couple bucks, but that's still more money for ammo!
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    Are there any other members interested in buying one of these?... They have a bulk-buy discount for 3+ and 5+. It's only a couple bucks, but that's still more money for ammo!
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11461

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3566

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast