• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For those looking to buy voice recorders...

xiphoris

imported post

1. Federal wiretapping laws cover PRIVATE conversations, there's no expectation of privacy in public.
Do you have a source for this? The statute doesn't say anything about privacy or expectation thereof; it doesn't say that one must have an expectation of privacy in order for the protections of the statute for hold.

Now, Washington State wiretapping law, on the other hand:

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, it shall be unlawful for any individual, partnership, corporation, association, or the state of Washington, its agencies, and political subdivisions to intercept, or record any: (a) Private communication transmitted by telephone, telegraph, radio, or other device between two or more individuals between points within or without the state by any device electronic or otherwise designed to record and/or transmit said communication regardless how such device is powered or actuated, without first obtaining the consent of all the participants in the communication;
In any case, it is not correct that there is no privacy in public. Privacy does indeed exist in public in many circumstances. Near ATMs is one example; public restrooms are another. Where privacy holds is decided by a court, of course, but even the rules of thumb are not reducible to "no privacy in public".

You are right that privacy is not granted in many situations in public. I can't find the source right now, but I recall reading about a court ruling that held that upskirt photography is legal in public places exactly because of the aforementioned lack of right to privacy.

bcp

imported post

...unlawful ...to intercept, or record any: (a) Private communication transmitted by telephone, telegraph, radio, or other device

A face to face conversation is not transmitted by telephone, telegraph, radio, or other device.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
No offense meant, but you have to have a separate mic to use this thing

No offense meant, but you're not reading properly.

Features:1) High quality built-in MIC (snip)

Unless everyone, including the manufacturer, is lying.

just_a_car

imported post

Are there any other members interested in buying one of these?... They have a bulk-buy discount for 3+ and 5+. It's only a couple bucks, but that's still more money for ammo! ;)

just_a_car

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Are there any other members interested in buying one of these?... They have a bulk-buy discount for 3+ and 5+. It's only a couple bucks, but that's still more money for ammo! ;)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11461

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3566
Okay, so those are both better than the watch idea... at least for me, since I don't like watches. Plus, they're cheaper. There's also a 2Gb (instead of 1Gb) audio only pen that's only $2 more ($26 instead of $24).

I watched the video example on youtube that someone posted, but since they were talking in a different language, I couldn't tell if the sound quality was good enough to work with someone speaking English.