• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Western Idaho Fair

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I know we went through this a bit last year, but I don't think anyone ever tested anything out. Are we allowed to CC/OC at the fair? It's county land, right? I'd like to check it out on Thursday night if anyone is free to join me.

tatersalad

imported post

According to their website:
The Western Idaho Fair, dba Expo Idaho, is a totally self-supporting entity of Ada County, ID
So from my understanding of preemtion laws it would be technically legal to carry their (feel free to correct me). Me and my family went on Saturday night (I was unarmed) and they are doing security checks on all backpacks, purses, etc. I did not see any signs saying "no weapons" but they are checking for them. I may have missed seeing any signs and didn't have time to chat with the security person other than asking what they were looking for, I had my hands full with my 3 kids (all 4 and under). At the Canyon County fair there was a huge sign at the entrance with rules and #1 was "NO WEAPONS". Caldwell PD was also out in force at the 2C fair. The 2C fairgrounds are run either by the city or county so the legallity of panning weapons may be in question. I did not notice any LEOs at the State Fair except for a few Ada Sherriff vehicles out front, all the security that I saw was private.

Good luck to you if you try to OC at the fair, it will probably be an uphill battle.

knaight

imported post

With the new preemption laws passed this year, my understanding is that they cannot make their own firearms policy.

Is this something we need to call Sen. McKenzie on? or the AG?

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I suggest its something we try out before we assume we're going to have any problems or write anyone.

I'm going Thursday night. I'd like someone to join me who has a recorder handy. I plan to OC, but you are free to CC or come unarmed, whatever you feel comfortable with.

Hiredgun30

imported post

when i went to the CC Fair i saw that 1st hand.. i spoke with a Caldwell Police Officer and no one seems to know about the preemption law.. The next day I emailed canyon county commissioner Dave ferdinand. with the wording of the preemption law.
I figure i will get a response from him since he has a CWL.

MarkinIdaho

imported post

Hiredgun30 wrote:
when i went to the CC Fair i saw that 1st hand.. i spoke with a Caldwell Police Officer and no one seems to know about the preemption law.. The next day I emailed canyon county commissioner Dave ferdinand. with the wording of the preemption law.
So, this seems to beg the question... how do we "educate" all the agencies in the state? Is there a cost effective way to do it... maybe with a big wig's name being involved? Seems like a PITA to have to wait until we have what happened to one member at the library happen in all the counties, etc.

bourneshooter

imported post

Hiredgun30 wrote:

I don't believe that Dave has a CWL, remember under ID law, elected public officials don't need a CWL to carry.

Alphamike

imported post

If anyone has seen any "no guns" signs at the Western Idaho Fair (or anywhere else on public property for that matter) please let me know by PM or through http://www.idahossa.org. I am trying to address this by writing letters to the jurisdictions that are posting or otherwise restricting firearms carry informing them of 18-3302J. If political subdivisionsdo not comply with the lawthen we will explore legal action.

We worked for three years to get the new preemption law through because we had to convince legislators that cities and counties were ignoring the old preemption statutes.

Right now I'm working on getting Idaho Parks and Rec to issue some sort of written acknowledgment that their regulation banning firearms is unenforceable.

Patriot

imported post

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the fair grounds have been sold to a private entity. If so, then they have the right to be dumb@$$es and prohibit carry.

Patriot

imported post

Scratch that, I just called the Expo Idaho director's office, and was informed that the fairgrounds belong to the county. Sweet!

BrianEMT

imported post

Also try the Commissioner's Office, after the MADD incident yesterday the last thing he needs is bad press that the Fair is now banning firearms too against state law.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Well, I never got a chance to attend the fair. If someone else did, please post your experience if you were packing OC or CC.

I did write a letter to Idaho Expo the other day.

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

I am writing today to inquire as to what your policy is on the legal carry of firearms while attending the fair or other events held at the fairgrounds. According to Senate Bill NO. 1441, which passed and became law in March of this year, it is against the law for "any county, city, agency, board or any other political subdivision of this state to adopt or enforce any law, rule, regulation, or ordinance which regulates in any manner the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, transportation, carrying or storage of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition." Further information on this bill can be obtained at http://www3.state.id.us/oasis/S1441.html.

As a subdivision of Ada County, do you intend to comply with this law and allow law abiding citizens to carry firearms for self-defense? I ask because I plan to attend the fair tomorrow night and want to avoid any confusion at the front gate. Thank you in advance for your understanding and timely response.

Sincerely,

RESPONSE

I am delivering your message to our security chief and he will get back to you today. However, you did not leave your phone number, which he will need. Thank you,

Lori Cox, Marketing & Development
Expo Idaho
p) 208.287.5650
Thanks a million to our 2008 Western Idaho Fair sponsors!

AND THE SECOND RESPONSE

Dear Mr. *****,

Expo Idaho and Western Idaho Fair has always and will continue to respect the carrying of weapons as allocated by Senate Bill 1441 and the carrying of concealed weapons. Please advise Security Staff at your entrance gate that you are armed. Thank you.

Most Sincerely,
Patrick Calley 208.860.4071

I'd say thats a good response, so we shouldn't have any issues. If you do, there is the contact info of the guy to call. Hope you all had fun.

Eagleeye

imported post

not a bad response.

considered going myself, then I found out about the entrance fee and saw the parking & traffic nightmare on my way home from work, kindof killed it for me...

btw, I wonder what they would say about OC....

Hiredgun30

imported post

that response is only a half truth....... anybody see that ADA COUNTY BOOTH??
besides notifying security, the sheriffs office wanted u to check in with them.

I have a friend who is a LEO and works security out at the fair.. he is the one that told me about the booth..... oh yea.. he didnt mention the word (voluntary) either..

BrianEMT

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
not a bad response.

considered going myself, then I found out about the entrance fee and saw the parking & traffic nightmare on my way home from work, kindof killed it for me...

btw, I wonder what they would say about OC....

Might be another chance for people to start the "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS!?" argument. It may HAVE also been a good opportunity to host another event.

I suspect they check bags and purses for explosive ordinance instead of weapons, which is usually protocol, but a confusing protocol, as this isn't exactly Downtown Baghdad.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Bag search is only legal if you consent. I wouldn't give mine and we'd be arguing about that....another issue, another day.

The gun thing though, I think we'd get away without checking in at the booth. Have to see next time I guess if no one made it to the fair to confirm. I did write a response back to Patrick asking him about the "checking in". We'll see what he has to say, as this applies to all events at the Idaho Expo, not just the fair.

Anyone consider that no guns are allowed loaded at most gun shows held at the fairgrounds? Thoughts?