• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great Day for OC

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I picked up my uncle in Olympia today and we headed to the pit with my son and Dad. Jarhead and his wife joined us a little later. We started shooting about 9am and left well after 1pm. 45/70 rifle, 500 revolver, .45's, .22's, .41's. .44's, .357's, 9mm, .17 HMR and of course the Nagants. Great day shooting.

We head into Olympia and stopped at Wendy's for a bite to eat. (SV you know the one). As I walked from the counter to the table a lady looked at me wide eyed at the 1911 on my hip. I had to pass her several times to get my complete order form the counter. I went to the bath room to wash my hands and as I near the door a Oly cop is coming in. I figured here we go.... I let him have the right of way to the counter and I head to get some napkins. As I passed the lady again I told her I was legal to open carry which to my suprise started a conversation about guns and carrying. She once had a permit to carry but let it expire and due to lack of knowledge has not renewed it. I gave her a Gun Rights Pamphlet and filled her in on getting her permit once again. As I sat down at the table to finish eating another gentleman came over and asked if he could have a pamphlet as well. It turns out he was from Arizona and knew OC was legal there but did not know about Washington. Never heard a peep from the Oly cop. He got his food and left.

On top of all that I got me a new Osprey scope for my 10/22, got to shoot a Smith & Wesson model 500 pistol and bought a 1975 Buick Skylark....
:celebrate

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Jim675 wrote:
Well done M1Gunr.
How'd you like the .500?
Even better than the 45/70 pistol I shot a while back. One of those two pistols will be in my arsenal soon.

Bear,
That pit is in need of some serious cleaning but it looks like the state runs a cleanup a couple of times a year. It seems they let it get that way as its easier to clean one spot than several spots. Kinda like the old saying " the devil you know is better than the one you don't"

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Great day, and good for you educating a couple of folks!

As far as the OPD goes, they have become pretty well trained, and the officers on the West Side there are probably the most experienced officers on the force, and IMHO the "better" of the two precincts. I cannot imagine any of the officers in that part of town giving you grief over OC.

Bear 45/70

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Jim675 wrote:
Well done M1Gunr.
How'd you like the .500?
Even better than the 45/70 pistol I shot a while back. One of those two pistols will be in my arsenal soon.

Bear,
That pit is in need of some serious cleaning but it looks like the state runs a cleanup a couple of times a year. It seems they let it get that way as its easier to clean one spot than several spots. Kinda like the old saying " the devil you know is better than the one you don't"
The pit does get really bad before the state does anything about it. There are DNR guys thru the area all the time (two campgrounds across the road), so they know what shape the pit is in. I never have figured out if the pit clean up is a state deal or if the Motorcylcle/Quad club that takes care of the trails in that area does it. So when do you want to get together and try that .500 and the Contender one after the other. I might be able to get a BFR in 45/70 for you to try too.

GunnyG

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Slow news day over at The Olympian, they did a roundabout piece about the shooting pit, mixed use forest plans and hunter safety. Pretty boring article IMHO...

http://www.theolympian.com/710/story/547336.html
Been there, hit it....tell me what you think:
For what it's worth... I know of one group of civic minded individuals that spent their Mother's Day 2008 trying to cleanup the pit at Waddell creek.

Despite the significant amount of garbage they collected that day, they felt that it barely put a dent in the mess.

These guys were from the Washington Hometown Forum of AR15.com, a local group of firearms enthusiasts, whose core interest is the use of the self loading, semiautomatic only, rifles that the US M-16 service rifle was patterned on.

Among their speculation as to why the pit is so trashed: The locked gate may actually discourage people from burdening themselves with actually hauling out the trash they bring in.

As it stands, Waddell Creek isn't safe. There are many experienced, and safe, shooters in the area who are hesitant to utilize that area for all the same concerns you've cited here.

Sport and recreational shooting isn't limited to the hunting seasons. There are so many different disciplines, strongly rooted in competition, self defense and appreciation for historical military firearms, so that ranges are seldom unoccupied.

What is the solution to the competing interests in that specific area? I'd like to suggest that a managed/monitored shooting facility similar to Whatcom County's Plantation range be established in the Waddell creek vicinity, with a staff willing to demand respect from all concerned sides and enforce the physical buffer that must exist between shooting and the other activities.
Dave From Grapeview | 08.17.08 - 10:48 pm |

Bear 45/70

imported post

GunnyG wrote:
For what it's worth... I know of one group of civic minded individuals that spent their Mother's Day 2008 trying to cleanup the pit at Waddell creek.

Despite the significant amount of garbage they collected that day, they felt that it barely put a dent in the mess.

These guys were from the Washington Hometown Forum of AR15.com, a local group of firearms enthusiasts, whose core interest is the use of the self loading, semiautomatic only, rifles that the US M-16 service rifle was patterned on.

Among their speculation as to why the pit is so trashed: The locked gate may actually discourage people from burdening themselves with actually hauling out the trash they bring in.

As it stands, Waddell Creek isn't safe. There are many experienced, and safe, shooters in the area who are hesitant to utilize that area for all the same concerns you've cited here.

Sport and recreational shooting isn't limited to the hunting seasons. There are so many different disciplines, strongly rooted in competition, self defense and appreciation for historical military firearms, so that ranges are seldom unoccupied.

What is the solution to the competing interests in that specific area? I'd like to suggest that a managed/monitored shooting facility similar to Whatcom County's Plantation range be established in the Waddell creek vicinity, with a staff willing to demand respect from all concerned sides and enforce the physical buffer that must exist between shooting and the other activities.

Not far down the road to the SW is the Evergreen Sportsman Club. Even though primarily a shotgun sports facility, they do have a 22 range, a rifle andpistol range plus a Black powder range and a owboy Action course.

http://www.shootesc.com/facilities.asp

GunnyG

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
GunnyG wrote:

Not far down the road to the SW is the Evergreen Sportsman Club. Even though primarily a shotgun sports facility, they do have a 22 range, a rifle andpistol range plus a Black powder range and a owboy Action course.

http://www.shootesc.com/facilities.asp

Thanks!! For myself, I've got memberships at both Mason Co Sportsman Assoc. and Kitsap Rifle & Revolver. The CRSO from Evergreen taught my RSO classat the end of June.

I was thinking about all the people who are using the pit. I'd hate to see the pit shut down to shooting. I used to set up my targets at the end of logging roads, east of Duvall. Ican see this being an issue.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Is there anything we can do legally to kick out those that are unsafe? A criminal negligence or reckless endangerment charge might be the right thing for some of those retards at the pit.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Is there anything we can do legally to kick out those that are unsafe? A criminal negligence or reckless endangerment charge might be the right thing for some of those retards at the pit.
Capitol Forest has one law enforcement officer and one education enforcement trail steward to monitor all users.

Nosrac

imported post

I don't know about that. I think if you are responsible you will haul out most of your crap anyway. I've been bumming around the C -line in Capital Forest and there are many places were people drive in, shoot and leave tons of shells everywhere.

I personally like the tarp idea. You lay down a big blue,green,brown whatevertarp where you are going to shoot from and it collects most ofyour shells and casings. Thenwhen you are done just pour all the cases into a box and haul it out. NP.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Nosrac wrote:

I don't know about that. I think if you are responsible you will haul out most of your crap anyway. I've been bumming around the C -line in Capital Forest and there are many places were people drive in, shoot and leave tons of shells everywhere.

I personally like the tarp idea. You lay down a big blue,green,brown whatevertarp where you are going to shoot from and it collects most ofyour shells and casings. Thenwhen you are done just pour all the cases into a box and haul it out. NP.
They state even made it illegal to leave your brass, hulls and trash last year, but with only one enforcement guy in the whole of CapitolForest it is unlikely anyone will get tagged. At least until all the trash on the ground is cleaned up first.