• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"unicorn"

Jason Rogers

imported post

Any old timers around here remember how the term unicorn came to be applied to OCers seen in public? Can anyone link to the original threads?-Jay

Tomahawk

imported post

Jason Rogers wrote:
Any old timers around here remember how the term unicorn came to be applied to OCers seen in public? Can anyone link to the original threads?-Jay

As far as I know, the term "unicorn" was spawned by super moderator Mike Stollenwerk during a conversation with former moderator longwatch in a conversation about OC during a post-VCDL meeting Fuddruckers dinner.

longwatch then used it in a conversation with me, also at Fuddruckers, and after laughing about it, we started using it on the board here, and what do you know? It's spread around a bit.

Keep in mind that this was probably over a year and a half ago, when the membership of this forum was only a fraction of what it is now, so members had a tendency to read almost every thread.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So THAT is how it came about!

I should have guessed. :):p

I also recall that a unicorn is defined as someone who spontaneously open carries without being or knowing a member of VCDL or OCDO. "About as likely as a unicorn."

Nowadays anybody sees an OCer they don't recognize they start plastering the forum with threads trumpeting a unicorn sighting. And only then asking around if it was an OCDOer. Well, that is a little overstated, but you get what I mean.

RedKnightt

imported post

Tomahawk, by answering the question, you realize have just admitted to being an "old-timer"? :lol:

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebratebanana dance party

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Tomahawk

imported post

I am quite happy to have been present at the birth of the OC movement as we know it, and to have known some of the people responsible. Someday when my little nephew grows up and OC's in NJ, I'll know where it started.