• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Palmer

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

There is a few laws on the books in Palmer that we all know are in violation of the state pre-emption. so who can we start to complain to and what can we do to get these changed.....

9.73.020 Carrying weapons prohibited when.
A.It is unlawful for a person, other than a peace officer (including an acting reserve officer), to carry in the city a concealed weapon on or about his or her person in any manner.
(so unless you are a officer of a state or city agency you man not CC in palmer)

B.It is unlawful for a person, other than a peace officer (including an acting reserve officer), to openly carry a firearm in any of the following places
:
1.A premises licensed under AS 04.11 (alcoholic beverages), to include without limitation, a restaurant or eating place holding such a license;
(this is a restriction on the right to open carry, this requires we CC in restaurants that serves beer.)

2.A building housing government offices only, to include without limitation a courthouse;
3.A government office;
4.A hospital;
5.A school;
6.A child care facility;
7.A domestic violence center;
8.A sexual assault shelter;
9.A city-owned public park; (don't remember seeing this on the state books)

10.A fair grounds; and (dont remember seeing this on the state books)

11.A financial institution, to include a bank, savings bank, savings association, and credit union. (there is no such regulation at the state level for this)

(This entire section above says we can not open carry, but implies we much CC)

C.It is unlawful for a person, other than a peace officer (including an acting reserve officer), to openly carry a weapon other than a firearm in any place listed in subsection (B) of this section and in any other public place. (meaning no knifes?)

D.Nothing in subsections (B) or (C) of this section shall be construed to prohibit:
1.The transport of unloaded firearms or the open transport of other weapons;
2.The owning or possessing of weapons in one’s own residence;
3.The open carrying of unloaded firearms or other weapons at a show for such weapons, e.g., a gun show; provided, that the carrying is done in conformity with the rules or procedures of the sponsor of the show;
4.The open carrying of a weapon in a place of business which deals with such type of weapon where the carrier intends to use the services of the business, e.g., carrying of a knife in a store that sells or services knives;
5.The open carrying of a weapon in a place by an owner, or employee or other agent of an owner, where the carrying is authorized by the owner and the weapon is used as a tool of the trade by such place, e.g., a knife in a restaurant;
6.The open carrying of a weapon in a place by an owner, or employee or agent of an owner, where the carrying is authorized by the owner and the weapon is used for the security of the owner, occupants, or the place; and
7.The carrying of a hunting knife carried in a sheath attached to the belt or other accessory of dress and openly displayed; provided, that this exception shall not apply at a domestic violence center, a sexual assault shelter, or a fair grounds.
E.Nothing in subsections (A) or (B) of this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a concealed handgun in accordance with Alaska statutes by a person issued and carrying a valid permit under said statutes.
F.Anyone violating the provisions of this chapter shall be deemed an ordinance violator. (Ord. 519 § 4, 1997)

akhunter3

imported post

So how does that work? Do we complain and get them changed, or do we just ignore them, being as they are contradictory and thus not really valid laws?

Maybe we should just start OCing in Palmer and carry a copy of the state preemption in our pockets:D

Anybody up for a group-OC in Palmer??;)

-Seeing as the fair is coming up, is OCing there a feaseable idea? Anyone ever done it?

Jon

akhunter3

imported post

Those laws would be invalid though, due to the state pre-emption, wouldn't they? Idn't that the same as them being repealed? Just without the formality of them actually being repealed?

Jon

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

I think we need to get together and start writting letters to the State of Alaska Attorney Generals Office.

when I get one drafted out I will share it with ya guys.

Flintlock

imported post

Last year I had submitted a letter to the CityClerk about this very issueand a response was never returned. I had meant to follow up with a letter to the Palmer Mayor and also to the StateAttorney's General Office, and if needs be, the Governor, but I had forgotten and moved on to other pursuits. These ordinances are not legally enforceable and may just be sitting in writing and have not yetbeen removed. Either way, it needs to be fixed.

If the State Fairgrounds are actually owned by the state, then it would be a violation of preemption to ban the carriage of arms similarly to the city banning carriage in the Lussac Library. If it is privately owned and leased, then I don't see how we would have any legal standing. Of course, I am not a lawyer.

AKRed

imported post

Murphy,

Didn't Anchorage try to do the same thing a couple of years ago? Is this just in the city limits of Palmer. What about driving through on the Glenn Highway etc?

Thanks

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

This is a City of Palmer law. There fore would only be enforceable(albeit very very weakly enforceable to start) within the jurisdictional boundary of Palmer.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Wow, I never thought such laws would even be on the books in Alaska. When did you get Kalifornians and Seattle libeals up there?:shock::p

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

they move up all the time, I just wish more of them would bet eatin by a bear or crash there rig in the winter bad enough to move. cause if they crashed they would try to sue every one and blame every one but them selves. and if they got eatin by a bear they would sue the bears and the gov for not having enought protection from the bears.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

There must be enough creature comforts to keep the Libs moving up there. I guess they like being close to nature or some sort of hippy granola munching thing. Mebbe more of them need to take 10 pounds of rice and a .22 into the bush and not come out? :lol: