• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone OC at Hempfest?

grishnav

imported post

Welp.

I was planning on going, and OCing.

Yesterday I slept in too late (got rear ended on Thursday, hit pretty hard, and my body is making me sleep to recover/heal).

Today, I just got up about 20 minutes ago. I turned up the shower to let it warm up, and I heard SPD screaming on Tac 3 that the event staff saw someone with a gun. The staff surrounded the person (if you think he's a threat... why?), and the police responded with the kind of fervor they usually only display when they think they are going to get to tase an 80 year old women.

Just now (literally, seconds ago), they let their dispatcher know that they informed the guy that the park was a gun-free zone today. It had been leased by the hempfest organizers and they had made the decision to ban firearms (riiiight, like the knuckle's policy had nothing to do with that) :regardless of permits or permits or whatever."

So apparently guns are banned at the park today, for hempfest, regardless of permits or whatever.

Sounds like the guy might be aruging the point with the police, as they are having the hempfest organizer come down to inform him of the rule and possibly trespass him. Might be good to have a printout of the hempfest website that says "hempfest is about human rights" on ya if you go. :)

Guess it's concealed carry for me...

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Hemp is not an illegal substance, it contains no THC, which is what makes weed illegal.

It is never in an illegal form, it can be harvested just like any other crop.

Hemp is a very strong fiber, which makes excellent clothes, ropes, etc.

Being closely related to marijuana is it's only downfall, otherwise itd be everywhere, it really is an excellent fiber.

MD State troopers' hats are made from hemp (or at least used to be)

TechnoWeenie

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

grishnav wrote:
I turned up the shower to let it warm up, and I heard SPD screaming on Tac 3 that the event staff saw someone with a gun. The staff surrounded the person
Just now (literally, seconds ago), they let their dispatcher know that they informed the guy that the park was a gun-free zone today. It had been leased by the hempfest organizers and they had made the decision to ban firearms (riiiight, like the knuckle's policy had nothing to do with that) :regardless of permits or permits or whatever."

So apparently guns are banned at the park today, for hempfest, regardless of permits or whatever.

Sounds like the guy might be aruging the point with the police, as they are having the hempfest organizer come down to inform him of the rule and possibly trespass him. Might be good to have a printout of the hempfest website that says "hempfest is about human rights" on ya if you go. :)

Guess it's concealed carry for me...

Um, so, yeah, that was me.:D

I figured, what the hey, it was a nice day, maybe I could hand out some pamphlets to some people. So after a looong walk down the waterfront with no problems, I get to the Sculpture Park which you have to walk through to get to the park where Hempfest was being held.

Immediately, a security guard said "Excuse me sir there are no weapons allowed in the park today." I said thanks and walked on. So he must have radioed ahead or something because when I got to the official entrance there was another guard(more official? White shirt, not yellow) who asked if we could talk and I said sure and he told me the same thing and I said I'd like to hear it from SPD and he said that's cool they're on their way.

So pretty soon 3-4 officers show up and start looking for me(I had to wave them over) A nice female officer asked what I was doing and I explained. She said that was understandable, but there were no weapons because the park was leased to a private party and they decided no weapons.
I said I understand.(yes, she did ask nicely for my CPL and ID and I showed her after we understood I didn't need to show either) I never felt detained, nor did I refuse to leave. For some reason they had a couple sergeants come over too and tell me the same thing. Again, I said I understood. Then they said the organizer of Hempfest wanted to talk to me, so I said cool and waited for him.

He was the Vice President and Chairman of the Board of Seattle Events(Producers of Hempfest). He was a cool guy and we had a pleasant conversation. He said he was all about rights and was in the NRA, etc. I asked him if I locked it in the safe in my backpack, if I could go in.
I think he almost wanted to let me in, but the Hempfest lawyer who had also shown up said no way, liability issues, etc.(he was another cool guy, said he did lots of criminal(marijuana) defense/2A work http://douglashiatt.com/ )

All parties (including the cops) recognized the irony of not allowing something legal in while turning a blind eye to the law-breaking participants, as well as the fact that there were probably many concealed weapon carriers attending(security was not patting down, just checking bags).

grishnav

imported post

Thanks for going and standing up for our rights, Trevor. I wish I could have made it myself.

I'll be happy to go down with ya next year, if I still live in Seattle then.

I wonder if there is any way to leverage the hempfest media coverage to tell this story?

BusMaster007

imported post

Excellent adventure, Trevor. You carried yourself and represented us all very well.

I was shocked when I reported for duty on Saturday and yet another fellow firearms enthusiast / bus driver asked me if I'd seen the Base Bulletin about OPEN CARRY.

WTF?! So, sure enough, I checked it out and there it was. It stated plainly that it IS LEGAL to OPEN CARRY in the State of Washington, with some exceptions, and should we, as drivers, encounter anyone OC'ing on the buses to observe the situation and determine if we need to contact the higher-ups or let it go, each case as it may be. My first thought was that I must be dreaming. Upon furtherreview, it was staring me in the face, so I read it twice...:D

Seeya in Traffic!

shad0wfax

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
Hemp is a gateway textile. Before you know it you'll be wearing organic cotton maybe even silk if you go hardcore.
You evil silk-worm enslaver! How dare you support an industry that keeps such magnificent worms captive!?

The only clothing to wear and be eco-friendly is no clothing at all. Real hippies are nudists.

:lol:

noname762

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Hemp is not an illegal substance, it contains no THC, which is what makes weed illegal.

It is never in an illegal form, it can be harvested just like any other crop.

Hemp is a very strong fiber, which makes excellent clothes, ropes, etc.

Being closely related to marijuana is it's only downfall, otherwise itd be everywhere, it really is an excellent fiber.

MD State troopers' hats are made from hemp (or at least used to be)

Hemp was grown in this country commercially as a cash crop until the 1930s. It was sometime in the 30s the fed gov began a campaign of deception and outright lies. In the old days cannibis was legal.

Hells bells the father of our country GEORGE WASHINGTON GREW HEMP!! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I had a hemp jacket from my great grandfather, that was an awsome jacket durable and warm. I don't know if it was the hemp or how it was made, but it stayed in great shape until it was stolen.....ahhhhhh.

I don't feel hemp is the answer to all our problems like some of the hippy types do, but its interesting to look at history and who helped lobby against, certain things.

noname762

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Now they also celebrate the non illicit uses of hemp there. Of course the illicit use gets a lot of press... I'd like to find a nice pair of hemp jeans and a hemp shirt.
I would love to pick up a couple yards of hemp canvas and have a shirt or two made. I've heard that hemp clothing wears IN rather than wearing OUT.

For those of you not in the know here are a few fun facts. George Washington grew hemp on his plantation. Ben Franklin grew some himself. Scores of over the counter remedies in Early America had cannibis as one of the ingredients. Cannibis is the drug cousin of hemp.

The Declaration of Independence was made with hemp paper. Eighty percent of the ships plying the trade routes had ropes and sails made of hemp. Hemp is an industrial fiber that could save this country and the planet as well. . .Hemp seeds can be made into fuel, oil, paints, cooking oil and other good things. Per acre hemp has 4.1 times more usable fiber than trees for paper. The fiber itself takes fewer harsh chemicals to turn it into paper. No pesticides are needed to grow hemp unlike cotton. Hemp can grow in any and all climates. It makes a fine rotational crop for farmers. You can get something like 4 harvests per year with hemp vs 1 harvest per 30 years with trees.

During WWII the US Government asked American farmers to grow 350000 acres for the war effort. Henry Ford built a car built of hemp. He invented a plastic made from hemp that was 10 times STRONGER than steel. The car ran on hemp gasoline and had hemp oil in the crankcase.

Hemp can be made into insulation and other building materials. A margerine can be made from the seeds. An old girlfriend gave me some hand lotion made from hemp seeds. I liked it and still got some.

Don't believe me? Try your GoogleFu and see for yourselves. Hemp is really an AMAZING plant. It is grown as a cash crop currently in the UK, Canada and Austrailia.Imagine the joy most of us would feel filling the ole fuel tank of our trucks and cars while flipping off the Sandrabs. No more Gulf coast disasters. No more Exxon Valdez catastrophes. No more dealing with those pukes of OPEC.

PavePusher

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
fatalhubris wrote:
this helpyou any bear?
HempFest2008K1.jpg
Son, I went to high school in the early 60s. This is nothing new.

Still worth getting up for in the morning...:D

killchain

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
fatalhubris wrote:
this helpyou any bear?
[image removed]
Son, I went to high school in the early 60s. This is nothing new.

Still worth getting up for in the morning...:D
Hemp, Hemp, Hooray.
You could get them to weave you a belt and holster for OC out of hemp?

Daath 474

imported post

Actually the form that I filled out when purchasing firearms asks, "are you addicted to any illegal substance including marijuana?" If you're not addicted, apparently you're good to go!

:celebrate :monkey