• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

state pre-emption and local laws

cynicist

imported post

The law in Sunnyside states: "It is unlawful for any person to possess or have within an area of dominion and control throwing stars and chako sticks. For the purpose of this section, chako sticks are defined as an instrument consisting of two or more sticks, clubs, bars or rods to be used as handles, connected by rope, cord, wire or chain, in the design of a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defense, such as karate. In addition, for the purpose of this section, throwing stars are defined as an instrument consisting of a metal plate having three or more radiating points with one or more sharp edges and designed in the shape of a polygon, trefoil, cross, star, diamond or other geometric shape for use as a weapon."

And goes on:"The provisions relating to the possession of chako sticks or throwing stars should not apply to or affect regularly employed members of clubs and associations organized for the practice, instruction, or demonstration of self-defense arts involving chako sticks or throwing stars, while such members are at, or are going to and from their place of residence, a practice session, an instruction session, a demonstration or place of repair or while such members are going from the place of purchase, providing that chako sticks or throwing stars are in a carrying case in the possession of the owner."

If they are for "self-defense," does this not contradict the WA state Constitution where it says that we have the right to bear arms in defense of self or other?

And can anyone put up a link to the Heller case?

joshcdc

imported post

durn i'm a mid level kung fu practitioner i guess im in violation :shock: better turn myself in since my hands definitely are an "...energy device ... which, upon coming in contact with a person, is capable of inflicting injury...":lol: never read the law like that

Basenji

imported post

Title 10 CRIMINAL CODE
Chapter 30 WEAPONS CONTROL

10.30.020 - STUN GUNS, TASERS AND SIMILAR DEVICES

A. Possession, sale or use prohibited. It shall be unlawful for any individual, person, firm, corporation, or similar entity to sell, give, lend, rent, or otherwise transfer to any other individual, person, firm, corporation, or similar entity a stun gun, TASER, or similar electronic or energy device or weapon which, upon coming in contact with a person, is capable of inflicting injury or an electric or energy shock to such a person. It shall further be unlawful for any person to possess, fire, or discharge such electronic or energy device or weapon within the Bellingham City limits.

this has has got to be taken off the books or re written. look VERY carefully at the useof the word "or". As written this includes ANY weapon capable of inflicting injury.

here is the relevant part with out the Ors

A. Possession, sale or use prohibited. It shall be unlawful for any individual, person, firm, corporation, or similar entity to sell, give, lend, rent, or otherwise transfer to any other individual, person, firm, corporation, or similar entity a weapon which, upon coming in contact with a person, is capable of inflicting injury to such a person. It shall further be unlawful for any person to possess, fire, or discharge such a weapon within the Bellingham City limits.

Bear 45/70

imported post

You guys need to read more careful. This little part covers the butts "which, upon coming in contact with a person". If you don't need contact from the weapon for it to workit isn't covered.

Sean

imported post

I do not like the last part...after the last or....this covers guns.

"It shall further be unlawful for any person to possess, fire, or discharge such electronic or energy device or weapon within the Bellingham City limits."

Bear 45/70

imported post

Well first off they can't outlaw Firearms as state preemption revokes any law so doing passed by any other government agency in the state. So what's the issue?

cynicist

imported post

VoiceinShelton wrote:
It just sounds like some commie politician is trying to build up their resume. "Look see I got nunchuks banned... I am so progressive!"
Nah, we got a strange breed of ostensibly Republican city gov't here. The wierd thing about them is that they think making new laws solves everything. You need a license for a garage sale, to have more than 10 people gather in the park, it's illegal to be in a gang, to play music that can be heard 30 feet away, to have fog lights, to carry paint or markers, to argue in public, and a myriad of other relatively normal things that the city figured they could "solve" by outlawing them. Coincidentally, crime is on the rise right now, so they city is shutting down all youth activities to fund the police department.