• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'll be visiting your state

3/325

imported post

I'm flying in from Washington State (okay, not *really* a yankee) to visit some old Airborne buddies of mine and I'll be bringing my G30 with me. I have a CPL that is honored by you fine folks in NC, as I understand it. But I would like a little schooling on the rules of OC in your state, specifically with regard to out-of-towners.

In Washington, anyone over the age of 21 can OC; no permit or license is required. You are also not required to be a state resident. However, if you are traveling by car, you must secure the weapon out of reach (in the trunk, for example) unless you have a CPL.

Is NC at all similar? Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Godscreation

imported post

Got some bad news. I'm a true yankee that moved from NH 8 years ago. The good news is (it's not about my automobile insurance) is that you can OC here in NC. Instead of just telling you, let me just show you.
moz-screenshot-2.jpg

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/MCSO/Community+Services/Gun+Permits.htm which is the Sheriff website for Mecklenburg County where I live says:

"Guns must be carried in plain view. Guns must not be carried in a pocket, purse, under a car seat or in any other concealed manner unless you have a concealed handgun permit."

§ 14‑269.2. Weapons on campus or other educational property.
"It shall be a Class I felony for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol, or other firearm of any kind on educational property or to a curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by a school."

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
"It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed."

§ 14‑269.4. Weapons on State property and in courthouses.
"It shall be unlawful for any person to possess, or carry, whether openly or concealed, any deadly weapon, not used solely for instructional or officially sanctioned ceremonial purposes in the State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of these buildings, and in any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice."

§ 14‑277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.
"It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon."

Information on Transporting Weapons
http://www.cherokeecounty-nc.gov/departments/ccso/downloads/transporting.pdf
"Individuals in North Carolina must be ever careful to ensure that their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon either on or about them without being properly licensed to do so with a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit."

"A weapon would be concealed in violation of NC law if it were placed in such areas of
the vehicle as, under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the backseat; in an unlocked
glove compartment; or in some manner where the weapon is covered or hidden within
easy reach of an occupant of a vehicle."

While a weapon carried openly in a vehicle (such as on the seat of the vehicle) would not
be concealed
, there are other problems with this method of transporting a weapon. The
biggest problem is that in the event of a person being stopped by a law enforcement
officer, the officer may not know the person's intent for carrying a weapon. So it is very
important that a person immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in
the automobile,
for the officer's as well as the vehicle occupant's safety. Another problem
with this method of carrying leaves a va luable weapon in plain view for potential thieves
to see.
[No license to OC in a car in NC! Some say you are not required when OCing to notify a LEO if you are carrying, I don't know. My citizen advice would be to let him know, since you are out of state anyway. The section about transporting weapons should not be quoted as an authority but is simply provided as a reference guide by the State of NC].

EDIT: realized I just did Dreqo's job. Your welcome State Researcher. :):cool:

3/325

imported post

Cool, thanks for the education on the subject!

In WA you aren't required to announce that you possess a weapon, but you are required to show your CPL (if you're concealing) upon demand. I haven't been pulled over in a long, long time but I would let the officer know I was carrying at the outset of a traffic stop. Not to "stay out of trouble" but simply as a courtesy.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Godscreation wrote:
EDIT: realized I just did Dreqo's job. Your welcome State Researcher. :):cool:

lol Good job GC :p. It looks good! As far as notifying officers goes, it's quite simple. You are only required to inform an officer of a weapon if you are in legal possession of a concealed handgun permit and a concealed weapon. If all of those things don't exist, no notification is required or should be expected.

(Which, of course, means that if you are illegally carrying a concealed weapon, you're not required by law to notify. It's only the law abiding citizens that are forced to expose themselves.)