• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Building my first AR 15

rodbender

imported post

I've decided to build an AR15. I've done a lot of research on lower receivers and decided on and purchased a Tactical Innovations forged receiver. I've done little research on anything else as I reasoned that the lower receiver was the first part I needed. Now it is time to look at the rest.

Does anybody have any suggestions on manufacturers and/or suppliers for the parts kit to fill the lower receiver? I want quality, but I don't want to give up any body parts for anything I buy for it.

hsmith

imported post

1st tip: You won't save money doing it yourself :lol:

Most parts are pretty quality it seems, at least IMO. I used a Rock River lower pack for my lower. You might want to checkout AR15.com's building forums, they are pretty good and have a lot of info.

Good luck! Building an AR is fun, get to learn the gun pretty well!

eyesopened

imported post

hsmith wrote:
1st tip: You won't save money doing it yourself :lol:

Most parts are pretty quality it seems, at least IMO. I used a Rock River lower pack for my lower. You might want to checkout AR15.com's building forums, they are pretty good and have a lot of info.

Good luck! Building an AR is fun, get to learn the gun pretty well!

+1 I didn't save money 'cause I spent more building a quality AR with everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. Well I did want an SBR and a CAN but that wasn't in the budget :lol:I did save money on buying a bare bones model and then later upgrading it and then left with a bunch of extra parts.

Check out this link for how to asseble your lower. There is a link to a good video in there too: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Here is a pretty good read on different manufacturers: http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462

I too went with an RRA LPK and couldn't be happier. I also splurged for the 2 stage trigger upgrade and I'm very pleased with it. Check out Pete @ legaltransfers (http://www.ar15sales.com/) for good prices on the LPK and other parts.

rodbender

imported post

I'm not doing it this way to save money. I figure I'll probably spend a little more. I will, however, know it inside and out when I'm through. I think it will be cheap lessons.

sprat

imported post

Not only are the above poster correct but your not building your assembling, if you are using a ffl receiver and a parts kit then you are assembling not building

building is taking a 0% to 80% receiver and carving out one youself, slapping pre-made parts together is assembling

example

car manufactures build cars, the guys on the assmebly line assemble

sprat (been there and done that)

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I plan to "assemble" mine as well, mainly for the same reasons: education, and to get the AR I want with all the features I want, and none of the ones I don't.

I used to build my own computers for much the same reason.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Actually, I think "build" is a correct term, though assemble may be a little more correct.

To create parts from raw materials isn't "building", it's "manufacturing". When a contractor puts a house together, they aren't creating parts from raw materials, they are using pre-manufactured parts, such as 2X4s, rolls of cable, and lengths of copper pipe, and putting them altogether to create a finished product. That process is ALWAYS referred to as "building".

So there. :p

rodbender

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Tangent's guys!

Back to the OP, what all are you putting together? Parts? Length?
I am building (excuse me) assembling it from the ground up. The way I'm buying it is; no two pieces will be together. I will assemble each piece. I will learn the process of head spacing and all. 16" light weight chrome lined threadedbarrel, flat top, no front sight base, 6 position collapsible carbinestock.Barrel and stockI have selected since OP.